Digital Art Zone

RENDER ISSUES
Posted: 27 January 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  175
Joined  2012-12-29

i just started having issues at the rendering stage. (Possibly due to antiquated hardware.)

Previously I was able to render stills, but now (at the half-way point), the process stops with a message that informs me that there is not enough memory to complete the render process.

If I had a better idea of what was wrong…or how to go about solving the problem- at least until I can replace my hardware with something newer- that would help.

My operating systems are XP (desktop) and Vista (laptop).

Posted: 27 January 2013 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
dash2128 - 27 January 2013 06:18 PM

i just started having issues at the rendering stage. (Possibly due to antiquated hardware.)

Previously I was able to render stills, but now (at the half-way point), the process stops with a message that informs me that there is not enough memory to complete the render process.

If I had a better idea of what was wrong…or how to go about solving the problem- at least until I can replace my hardware with something newer- that would help.

My operating systems are XP (desktop) and Vista (laptop).

Full system specs for each machine…CPU, RAM, video card…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 27 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-29

Desktop specs: Sad:

Hewlett-Packard HP Pavilion
MD Sempron (tm) Processor
3400+
1.80 GHz, 1.93 GB of RAM
Windows XP
32-bit

Laptop specs:
Toshiba Satellite L505D
AMD Athlon (tm) X2 Duel-Core QL- 65 2.10 GHz
3.00 GB RAM
32-bit operating system

Right now, I’m just trying to produce stills. I was hoping that what I had could at least do that much till i upgraded.

I also wouldn’t mind knowing what kind of system i should plan for when considering what to get in order to efficiently run Daz and Bryce when I get a new system.  I never planned on using software like Daz when I purchased my 2 present systems, the newest being…maybe 4 or 5 years old.

Posted: 27 January 2013 08:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Forget trying to run 4.5 on the desktop…just not going to happen.  At 2 GB of RAM with what looks to be a 7+ yr old low end processor, it doesn’t have enough to load XP and the program with enough left over to load a model (maybe untextured) and textures, let alone a simple scene.

The laptop should get you at least a simple scene,...but not much more. 

Four or more cores, i5 or higher (or AMD PILEDRIVER series), with 8 GB or more RAM, dedicated Nvidia or AMD graphics (needed for UI, but not rendering)...with a 64 bit version of Windows.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 27 January 2013 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-29

Thanks for the information.

I actually got a couple dozen stills rendered before I started having problems, so I figured I could run on what I had for awhile. This weekend the trouble began, and I suspected that I was not going to get as far as I thought.

Looks like I’ll need to start planning for a major upgrade.

(Hope I can import my products onto a new system after I set it up. I’ve already got a lot of purchases.)

ONE QUESTION: If I upgrade the RAM on the 3.00 GB (RAM) laptop, would that help until I upgrade?

Posted: 27 January 2013 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Yes, but the most you can do is 4 GB, which would give you between 2.25 and 3.0 GB usable…as Windows will reserve the top 1 GB for its own use.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 27 January 2013 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2012-12-29

That’s good to know, though. Thank you again for your help.  !!!!