Here’s something rather off the wall.
What happens if someone tries to apply this system to a garment which is Poser dynamic?
Yes, I know that Poser dynamic clothing’s native file type is of a prop not a character. I’m assuming that it could be saved out as an .obj or something.
*Could* one bring the geometry in and re-rig it as a conforming item from scratch?
And, yes, I know that in most cases there’s no point to it since the dynamic function is the whole point of the garment. But there are a few out there, that I’m not convinced *need* to be dynamic.
Well, do you already have it? Try it. You need to convert prop to figure and figure to TriAx first, but then it should be at least worth a try. It’s not like the system uses the original face grouping anyway.
I’m'a go get one of those pretty V3 nighties and see if it works.
So I decided to try this, just to see what would happen. I tried it first with a V3 item that I had around, from before I understood the difference between conforming and dynamic, and it kind of profoundly didn’t work. I’m not entirely sure why, but; my guess is there were some geometry issues or the dress was intended to be ... unusually revealing, let’s say. (Or it was intended for a figure with a very flat bosom down to her waist, with both of her breasts trying to escape in opposite directions.)
I tried one more time with TheWebFlea’s Plain Dress for Victoria 4 from ShareCG, because it’s a length and shape that doesn’t necessarily need to be dynamic, and it worked! ... with caveats.
Below is Bruuna with the Plain Dress, in a version of the Sit pose from V5 general poses.
Basically the process was:
1) Convert prop to figure
2) Use Wancow’s OBJ export method
3) Where he uses the GenMFD to re-rig, use Genesis itself, with the Transfer Assets utility and the Dress > SRMSDress template. (It needs to be re-weightmapped at that stage, because you’re working from an OBJ file.)
The caveat is that this dress is an awkward length to have SRMS working alone on. From mid-thigh to knee, it really needs another handle or something, because the back of the dress, the back of the skirt area, needs to be moved independently of the rest to keep smoothing from going slightly insane as it does. I tried adding in the morphs from the MFD, but I did that the wrong way, I think. Every time I tried to use one of its morphs, the dress completely popped off of her, instead of making changes in place. The other aspect is that if you want the breast bridging morphs—and with this dress, you do—SRMS needs to be done *after* MFD or some other transfer, because otherwise MFD’s FBMVictoria4 overwrites the one from SRMS, and you wind up with cling wrap.
So it does work, it just needs help from other processes here and there.
Click thumbnail to see full-size image