Digital Art Zone

24 of 41
(Commercial) NOW IN STORE - Sickle Rigging And Morphing System
Posted: 12 April 2013 03:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 346 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  63
Joined  2005-03-15

Thanks, LadyChance!
You’ve just opened up a whole lot of conversions!

I was just about to go through and manually rig the sash and tassels.
Saved me some work!

Image Attachments
Far_Journeyer_1.jpg

Posted: 12 April 2013 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 347 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2009-08-08

Here’s something rather off the wall.

What happens if someone tries to apply this system to a garment which is Poser dynamic?

Yes, I know that Poser dynamic clothing’s native file type is of a prop not a character. I’m assuming that it could be saved out as an .obj or something.

*Could* one bring the geometry in and re-rig it as a conforming item from scratch?

And, yes, I know that in most cases there’s no point to it since the dynamic function is the whole point of the garment. But there are a few out there, that I’m not convinced *need* to be dynamic.

Posted: 12 April 2013 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 348 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5334
Joined  2008-03-06
JOdel - 12 April 2013 04:55 PM

What happens if someone tries to apply this system to a garment which is Poser dynamic?

Yes, I know that Poser dynamic clothing’s native file type is of a prop not a character. I’m assuming that it could be saved out as an .obj or something.

*Could* one bring the geometry in and re-rig it as a conforming item from scratch?

And, yes, I know that in most cases there’s no point to it since the dynamic function is the whole point of the garment. But there are a few out there, that I’m not convinced *need* to be dynamic.

Well, do you already have it?  Try it.  You need to convert prop to figure and figure to TriAx first, but then it should be at least worth a try.  It’s not like the system uses the original face grouping anyway.

I’m'a go get one of those pretty V3 nighties and see if it works.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 12 April 2013 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 349 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1351
Joined  2010-01-23
SickleYield - 12 April 2013 03:37 PM

No, that should not happen with the FBM, and I’m not sure why it’s happening to you.  You can go back a bit in the thread for yet a third method that can reduce distortion yet further on skirts.

The reason for the difference between “morph” and “clone” is that the program is literally referring to two different and non-identical saved pieces of geometry, one that it registers as the V4 clone and one that is the Genesis V4 morph.

Thanks, I’ll go back and take a look.
I don’t know why the “morph”/“clone” thiing is happening either - I’ll try again and see if I missed anything in the instructions.

Signature 

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 12 April 2013 05:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 350 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1784
Joined  2009-08-08
SickleYield - 12 April 2013 05:14 PM

Well, do you already have it?  Try it.  You need to convert prop to figure and figure to TriAx first, but then it should be at least worth a try.  It’s not like the system uses the original face grouping anyway.

No, don’t have the item I was thinking of in particular—a Gates of Hell medieval dress which has been on Rendo for a year or two. I doubt that anyone could make it sit gracefully, but for standing or walking poses it ought not to be *that* impossible of a conversion.

Of course there are also some of Arki’s gorgeous V4 things, but I suspect that most of those are the kind of things that being dynamic is the whole *point*.

Posted: 12 April 2013 05:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 351 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06
JOdel - 12 April 2013 05:26 PM
SickleYield - 12 April 2013 05:14 PM

The real benefit to dynamics is properly generating folds and wrinkles for a given pose as well as draping with gravity.  For optimum results you should really sim the item zeroed to at least get some cloth folds in there before trying to rig it as a conformer.

No, don’t have the item I was thinking of in particular—a Gates of Hell medieval dress which has been on Rendo for a year or two. I doubt that anyone could make it sit gracefully, but for standing or walking poses it ought not to be *that* impossible of a conversion.

Of course there are also some of Arki’s gorgeous V4 things, but I suspect that most of those are the kind of things that being dynamic is the whole *point*.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 12 April 2013 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 352 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2009-01-09
MelanieL - 12 April 2013 03:23 PM

Hi, I’ve been experimenting with transferring V4 clothes to Genesis using this product, however I have a couple of small problems/questions:
I started with the 1930s Everyday Dress, whose skirt stretches rather badly in autofit.
First I tried the Transfer Utility method in the user manual. I found that transfer using “CloneVictoria4” still had stretching in the skirt. Nevertheless I saved as a Figure/Prop Asset, deleted from the scene and reloaded the saved .duf, as the manual says.
Next I tried transfer as “Morph” then selected from the list “Victoria 4” (I presume that is right?), clicked on the box to reverse source shape from target then clicked “Accept” and the result was a quite good-looking dress on the Genesis Base shape, except that the V4 shape was still in the dress (not the flat-chested result that transfer using “Clone” produced) - should this happen? Again I saved the dress as a Figure/Prop Asset, deleted and reloaded and still it had the V4 shape - I had to display hidden morphs and apply -100% to FBMVictoria4 - should this be necessary?

I think there’s something off about the construction of the 1930s Everyday Dress. I tried ordinary autofit, SRMS with clone, SRMS with Morph, and Wancow’s OBJ export method, and the dress deforms at least a little with all four methods. I’m not sure why.

Signature 

VWrangler at deviantArt (NSFW for some images; login required to view those)

Posted: 13 April 2013 01:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 353 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1618
Joined  2005-02-25

YES. I have brought in Poser dynamic OBJ files and rigged them with SY system. YES it works brilliantly smile However if not made to fit genesis first you will have to make it fit via scaling/positioning/smoothing, export and save as a new obj, and then bring that new obj back in and then rig it.

But yes we can finally use Poser dynamic obj clothing now. ^^ hurray!

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 354 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  640
Joined  2009-08-28

Question for you SY.

Alright, friend is looking for a gimp plug-in (which I bloody told him that there isn’t one) and if there was, someone on the daz forum would’ve already posted about it. And goes and tell me, “not true, if someone did make it, it would be illegal and have to get a license” and all that crap.

As someone who made this plug-in, did you have to license anything to make it or put up for purchase?

Oh, here, I’ll copy & paste what he said over email.

Not necessarily. Remember what I said about Liscensing.
It’s all a matter of who, not what, when, or where.

You know what a troll is, correct? Well out there are a few I like to call oppTrolls, or opposites of trolls. Basically I’m referring to people who take things seriously and devote time to scouring the internet and reporting things that break rules.

If one were to make a working Gimp plug-in, and were to do so by altering a Daz liscense for plug-ins, it’s technically considered forgery, and as such can’t be legally handed out over the web, unless the creator were to first gain Daz’s consent to alter the plugin data. But if that were so and a Gimp plug-in were to be made and legally distributed, it would cost a good bit, since Gimp is always updating and such.

So, simply put, even if one does exist, it will not be easy to find nor advertised across the web. It’d be kept secret and would have to be distributed ‘through the grapevine’, per se. People can only get things like that by having connections.

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 355 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

What was the actual question there?

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 356 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

About making a plugin.

He’s saying stuff you need permission to even make a plugin in the 1st place.

Did you just up and make your plugin as you wished, or what did you do?

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 357 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  649
Joined  2006-11-10

..What the what? There’s no reason DAZ wouldn’t be glad to add a bridge to GIMP plugin to their collection, if someone had made it. And it’s DAZ’s code to begin with, so there wouldn’t be any hairy distribution issues, the person who tweaked the code would just have to send it over to DAZ and everyone could get it just like the Photoshop Bridge.

Signature 

Old post count: 3,394,206

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 358 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

The new EULA makes it explicitly allowed to do things like plugins as long as they can’t be used without DAZ Studio.  I’m sure a GIMP bridge would be welcomed.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 359 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

Good to know, I can send him this link and saying he’s spouting BS.

Now…to see if I can find someone that can make a GIMP plug-in. It’s a mystery on why one hasn’t even been made, aside from the fact of it updating a bit (which I think it’s in the stage of it getting maybe 1 update a yer now)

Posted: 15 April 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 360 ]
RankRank
Joined  2009-08-28

And how did you even start making your plug-in?

Was their a tool or tutorial you looked at? Or were you already…plugin savvy to begin with?

24 of 41