Digital Art Zone

22 of 41
(Commercial) NOW IN STORE - Sickle Rigging And Morphing System
Posted: 09 April 2013 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 316 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2196
Joined  2011-11-16

Glad to hear about Xurge. I wasn’t sure about how well his stuff would convert.

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 09 April 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 317 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12498
Joined  2007-11-06

...I have a number of his outfits as well.  Nice “believable” futuristic combat armour and clothing compared to what I see elsewhere (no bare bellies with an arrow pointing to them that says “shoot here”.)

Still hedging. Maybe I’ll just find something for around 3$ and combine it with the morphs so I can finally get them. Still have the 5$ off 20$ purchase coupon. Have a lot of long skirts, coats, and footwear for Gen4 I’d like to use.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 09 April 2013 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 318 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2009-05-30

A quick note- I’ve had much better luck with converting floor-length dresses by fitting them directly to the dress base instead of to genesis using the dress projection template, similar to the directions for fitting shoes. Fitting to genesis results in crumpling at the hem (I suspect because of the feet- this happens with or without SRMS and is one of the things I was hoping SRMS would fix), but fitting to the dress base and then to genesis does not. The tradeoff is that fitting to the dress base means the breast bridging is also subtracted from the shape, but with a small amount of smoothing the little bit it clips into the chest on flat-chested shapes disappears.

Signature 

This is the space where I pretend to be clever. ... Is it working yet?

Posted: 09 April 2013 04:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 319 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-30

A picture to demonstrate what I mean. The fitted to genesis version is using the transfer utility with the SRMS dress projection template, as per the instructions. The fitted to the dress template version is done like the instructions for the shoes, minus adding the FBMS. I am really having a lot of fun experimenting with this. :D

Edit: Dress is by Jan19, from her Cortigiana set on sharecg. The underdress is all one piece, so it seemed a good candidate for testing.

Image Attachments
dresstestcomposite.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2013 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 320 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2012-02-04
ladychance - 09 April 2013 03:31 PM

A quick note- I’ve had much better luck with converting floor-length dresses by fitting them directly to the dress base instead of to genesis using the dress projection template, similar to the directions for fitting shoes. Fitting to genesis results in crumpling at the hem (I suspect because of the feet- this happens with or without SRMS and is one of the things I was hoping SRMS would fix), but fitting to the dress base and then to genesis does not. The tradeoff is that fitting to the dress base means the breast bridging is also subtracted from the shape, but with a small amount of smoothing the little bit it clips into the chest on flat-chested shapes disappears.

ladychance, this is a fantastic tip! I just tried it with the floor length V4 Malvada skirt, with which I had poor results using the regular SRMS technique (lace at bottom was terribly distorted). Your SRMS shoe-like technique worked great! I’ll update this post with a picture when my render finishes. Keep those innovative tips coming! Thanks.

Edit: Image added. Top was converted with autofit because I didn’t want SRMS bridging in this design. Skirt was converted with SRMS using ladychance’s great tip. Model is V5 body with a few other dials on the face and head. Skin is Tamesis. Shoes are from Silky Sexy with gold supersuit shader. Hair is Orion.

Image Attachments
V5_Malvada_SRMS_shoe-like_Conversion.jpg
 Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 321 ]
Rank
Joined  2009-05-30
barbult - 09 April 2013 04:52 PM

ladychance, this is a fantastic tip! I just tried it with the floor length V4 Malvada skirt, with which I had poor results using the regular SRMS technique (lace at bottom was terribly distorted). Your SRMS shoe-like technique worked great! I’ll update this post with a picture when my render finishes. Keep those innovative tips coming! Thanks.

Really glad this was useful to you! :D

Here’s a render of my own, of the full Cortigiana by Jan19 outfit with some of Chohole’s textures, on V5 with the Colleen textures for V4 by stacy_19201325 at shareCG.

Image Attachments
dresstestfull.png
 Signature 

Posted: 09 April 2013 07:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 322 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5334
Joined  2008-03-06

Very nice!  It’s cool that you found a new method, too!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 09 April 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 323 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2696
Joined  2012-02-04

Look! Cheyenne on Genesis and the bottom fringe is nice and orderly, not distorted, thanks to ladychance’s technique.grin

Image Attachments
Genesis_teen_Cheyenne_SRMS_shoe-like_Conversion.jpg
 Signature 

New member of the Bald Wizards Club

Posted: 11 April 2013 06:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 324 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1376
Joined  2005-11-21

Just saw this.. and insta-buy.  I guess I need to get off my butt and upgrade to 4.5 now.

Signature 

Visit my store

Posted: 11 April 2013 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 325 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2005-09-14

Yep I also grabbed it grin. Been looking at this since it came out and saw all the pretty pictures and conversions. Told myself to get off my butt and just get it already instead of sitting here drooling and being envious of everyone using this amazing product…lol! Thank you SickleYield and take care grin.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 326 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2011-12-30

H, just got your rigging product and love it but have a couple of questions.

1)  Does the autofit only work with DAZ Generation 4?  Which if I understand correctly is only for V4 and M4.

2) While my dress is much better on the movement, it still doesn’t follow the lower legs. What can I do to get this long dress to work? I posted an example image.

Thanks
Kimberly

Image Attachments
dress-legs.jpg
 Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 11 April 2013 09:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 327 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1923
Joined  2010-10-10

You need movement handles for the the lower skirt.

Signature 

Wendy

My website: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk

Tutorials: http://www.wilmapsdigitalcreations.co.uk/view_products.php?cat=10

PLEASE NOTE:
My items are NOT to be used on Second Life website.  They have recently changed their TOS and are legally able to take/steal anything uploaded and resell/redistribute to items.

Posted: 11 April 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 328 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30
wilmap - 11 April 2013 09:42 AM

Is that chapter two in the manual Chapter 2: Adding Optional JCMs to a Dress?

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

Posted: 11 April 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 329 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5334
Joined  2008-03-06
KimberSue - 11 April 2013 10:19 AM

No, the movement handles were added automatically, you just also have to use them manually.  This is normal and expected.  You select the UpperHandle or LowerHandle in the Scene Tab to move it.  Having the skirt move automatically with the legs is a poor choice for versatility of an item and takes a lot of functionality out of the user’s hands (yes, there are differing opinions on that, but I always err on the side of user control).

The Optional JCMs are for when you bend the skirt a lot, say for sitting, and it looks very distorted and not like a normal dress would move.  JCMs help to smooth that out.

Autofit is used to fit Gen 4 clothes to Genesis.  It is a faster but not as effective method compared to converting through Transfer Utility (as in the manual).  Autofit also does not add the smoothing and collision modifiers.

I still think it’s awesome that you’re rigging a house dress, by the way.

Also: Fisty and islandgurl, welcome to the party!  4.5 Pro is superior to 4.0 in a number of ways, not the least being the big improvements in the way smoothing and collision work (making meshes with more small details much more possible).  After the one long evening I spent running the dup ids script over all the older stuff in my library, I’ve never looked back.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery and tutorials.

Posted: 11 April 2013 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 330 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-12-30
SickleYield - 11 April 2013 11:43 AM
KimberSue - 11 April 2013 10:19 AM

No, the movement handles were added automatically, you just also have to use them manually.  This is normal and expected.  You select the UpperHandle or LowerHandle in the Scene Tab to move it.  Having the skirt move automatically with the legs is a poor choice for versatility of an item and takes a lot of functionality out of the user’s hands (yes, there are differing opinions on that, but I always err on the side of user control).

The Optional JCMs are for when you bend the skirt a lot, say for sitting, and it looks very distorted and not like a normal dress would move.  JCMs help to smooth that out.

Autofit is used to fit Gen 4 clothes to Genesis.  It is a faster but not as effective method compared to converting through Transfer Utility (as in the manual).  Autofit also does not add the smoothing and collision modifiers.

I still think it’s awesome that you’re rigging a house dress, by the way.

Also: Fisty and islandgurl, welcome to the party!  4.5 Pro is superior to 4.0 in a number of ways, not the least being the big improvements in the way smoothing and collision work (making meshes with more small details much more possible).  After the one long evening I spent running the dup ids script over all the older stuff in my library, I’ve never looked back.

I’d like to make some nice air light summer house dresses and night gowns. Thanks for the help. 

One more question.  Usually I use the Gen figure like a woman, julie, kimberly. etc in marvelous designer then when I move the obj file into daz and use the transfer unit, I pick current instead of default under genesis and reverse morphs to make the clothing fit correctly. It it possible to model to gen people like Kimberly shape and still use your dress templates?  I’ve been trying to do that but the dress always ends up partially behind the Gen with Kimberly shape. 

Kimberly  

Thanks

Signature 

3D Artist Network.

22 of 41