48 of 80
The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest
Posted: 04 March 2013 11:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 706 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10949
Joined  2007-11-06
staticdrifter - 04 March 2013 07:30 AM

Woe is me; I have been DAZ-ing for years for personal enjoyment and self-teaching of 3D Art, but when I saw this contest, I just knew I had to try something public. I have been drooling over Stonemason’s works for years, picking up one every now and then when I could afford it. I had to try…

I was “in the zone”, I was hyped, I was ready to enter the world of competitive artwork…

I picked my elements carefully, I worked on the positioning, the color, the ratio of foreground to background… I even delved into depth of field issues. I bled through the lighting, I sweat through posing, I cried through post-work!
“I could’a been a contender!”

My computer disagrees…

My computer doesn’t feel up to the task; for the first time ever with Studio, I received video card issues, lack of memory, and just plain lock-up. It was so frustrating. I have a powerful setup here, not top-of-the-line, at least, not anymore, but a good solid graphics PC. I can play all but the very latest (2013) PC games without glitch, I can open more than a dozen windows and not worry about crash, but my baby has just gotten old, poor girl…

...I know the feeling all too well.

The “new kid” is finally over her teething pains, but alas too late as I still need to install everything and set up the runtimes before I can render the first scene.

...so instead, I’ll just sit back and enjoy the show.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 707 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  571
Joined  2012-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 04 March 2013 11:28 PM

Woe is me; I have been DAZ-ing for years for personal enjoyment and self-teaching of 3D Art, but when I saw this contest, I just knew I had to try something public. I have been drooling over Stonemason’s works for years, picking up one every now and then when I could afford it. I had to try…

I was “in the zone”, I was hyped, I was ready to enter the world of competitive artwork…

I picked my elements carefully, I worked on the positioning, the color, the ratio of foreground to background… I even delved into depth of field issues. I bled through the lighting, I sweat through posing, I cried through post-work!

My computer disagrees…

My computer doesn’t feel up to the task; for the first time ever with Studio, I received video card issues, lack of memory, and just plain lock-up. It was so frustrating. I have a powerful setup here, not top-of-the-line, at least, not anymore, but a good solid graphics PC. I can play all but the very latest (2013) PC games without glitch, I can open more than a dozen windows and not worry about crash, but my baby has just gotten old, poor girl…

The “new kid” is finally over her teething pains, but alas too late as I still need to install everything and set up the runtimes before I can render the first scene.

I too understand your frustrations…especially considering I am on a MAC.  I have found that with the new DIM things are working much better.  But this is also because I removed all of my 3rd party content and have not installed any of it back in yet. 

It has definitely been worth the journey so far.  I am having so much fun creating stuff with DAZ.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 04 March 2013 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 708 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  330
Joined  2011-01-22
Geminii23 - 04 March 2013 11:36 PM
Kyoto Kid - 04 March 2013 11:28 PM

My computer disagrees…

I too understand your frustrations…especially considering I am on a MAC.  I have found that with the new DIM things are working much better.  But this is also because I removed all of my 3rd party content and have not installed any of it back in yet. 

It has definitely been worth the journey so far.  I am having so much fun creating stuff with DAZ.

You stuff usually looks great too :)

Edit: Also to the people complaining about slow rendering times and whatnot, solid state drives my friends :)

Trust me, it makes a massive, massive difference in terms of overall performance. (which ultimately impacts rendering times as well).

Honestly I’ve been purchasing the ‘latest RAM’ or the latest ‘top of the line graphics cards since like the mid 90s (usually a year or two later they don’t look so top of the line anymore :S).  And it goes on and on and on…  But I’ve never seen a bigger difference in terms of overall performance than when I replaced my primary spinning drive for a solid state one.  So, so much better.  Everything is just so much faster… booting, reading/opening files, opening programs obviously… rendering, and none of that endless disk spinning/thinking when the render’s completed.  (My old laptop was just a nightmare with that… like when you’re done rendering it just stalls processing ‘something’ non-stop even with the render either canceled or completed).

But yeah, I couldn’t recommend SSD drives more when it comes to rendering.  Lol, I sound like a commercial but they really are that amazing.

Can’t wait till the prices come down for the 1gig drives so I can replace my secondary.

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 709 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...there are a lot of things Daz just doesn’t offer which is why I depend on content from other sources. For one I am into the near future Cyber theme and there are just not enough sets/props/clothing available here that fit the genre.

Stonemason’s “contemporary” urban sets (as well as Urban Future 4 Street Level) are a standout as they can and do work very well with the theme and can easily be combined with sets/elements from other vendors.

Because of this, I have yet to even install, not much less use, the DIM even with the daunting task of setting up the new system as I am building custom runtimes since I also will be using the 64 bit versions of PoserPro 2012, Carrara, Blender, and MarvelousDesigner 2, as well as Studio 3Advanced (for plugins that have not or will not be updated for 4.5).

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 710 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8513
Joined  2007-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 05 March 2013 12:06 AM

...there are a lot of things Daz just doesn’t offer which is why I depend on content from other sources. For one I am into the near future Cyber theme and there are just not enough sets/props/clothing available here that fit the genre.

Stonemason’s “contemporary” urban sets (as well as Urban Future 4 Street Level) are a standout as they can and do work very well with the theme and can easily be combined with sets/elements from other vendors.

Because of this, I have yet to even install, not much less use, the DIM even with the daunting task of setting up the new system as I am building custom runtimes since I also will be using the 64 bit versions of PoserPro 2012, Carrara, Blender, and MarvelousDesigner 2, as well as Studio 3Advanced (for plugins that have not or will not be updated for 4.5).

I find DIM very useful for this sort of purpose, as it’s really easy to filter by application.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 05 March 2013 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 711 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...but it won’t work with my content library purchased at places like Rendo and RDNA as well as freebies from various sites, all of which is fairly sizable.

My past experience with Daz installers has admittedly soured me on their automated processes which is why I am pleased they are finally moving to .zip files.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 03:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 712 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1695
Joined  2012-02-07

Greetings,

Kyoto Kid - 05 March 2013 12:15 AM

...but it won’t work with my content library purchased at places like Rendo and RDNA as well as freebies from various sites, all of which is fairly sizable.

My past experience with Daz installers has admittedly soured me on their automated processes which is why I am pleased they are finally moving to .zip files.

At the risk of derailing an awesome thread of beauty, I should note that I totally used DIM to install _OVER_ my existing content library, and it didn’t cause me any problems.  The software warns about it, and I thought long and hard about it, but it worked for me.  If you have good backups (and hey who doesn’t, right? wink ) then it’s worth trying to use DIM on top of your existing content.  The updates alone have been amazingly helpful.

Of course I also did a lot of my downloading from work on a Very Fast Pipe.  (1680 DAZ items installed so far…)  And I use Dropbox to synchronize all my machines content libraries…

— Morgan

Signature 

Want wishlist discount notifications, better wishlist sorting, or to see ALL current discounts? http://3dwishlist.com/demo

Look at my deviantArt Gallery, give me feedback and feel free to follow!

This Firefox GreaseMonkey/Chrome Extension tweaks the wishlist and the product pages, adding cool new features to both and cleaning up small UI issues.

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 713 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  2012-02-04

This is a non-entry, since the contest requires posting images to this thread only, and I will never upload an image to the DAZ forums.  But the environment and mech enforcer are Stonemason products:

That Way

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage

Posted: 05 March 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 714 ]
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2003-10-09

Title:  End of the Shift

Software used:  Poser Pro 2012 and Corel PhotoPaint X3

Stonemason product used:  Urban Sprawl

Image Attachments
EndOfTheShift.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 715 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  26
Joined  2011-02-09

Second Entry

Title: Reporting As Ordered
Software Used: Daz 4.5 Postwork Photoshop CS5.1
Stonemason product used: Fairytale Collection—Tower Interior

Image Attachments
Reporting_As_Ordered.jpg

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 716 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  855
Joined  2005-11-06

My second entry

Title “Wastelands

Stonemason product used “The backstreets”, with genesis and a few of my models.
Set up in DS4.5. Rendered in Luxrender with postwork being sharpen and contrast filter.

I also ran this thru a toon/comic filter and liked the results also, will post that one after the contest.

Image Attachments
wasteland.jpg
 Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 05 March 2013 06:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 717 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1237
Joined  2011-09-13
FSMCDesigns - 05 March 2013 06:38 PM

My second entry

Title “Wastelands

Stonemason product used “The backstreets”, with genesis and a few of my models.
Set up in DS4.5. Rendered in Luxrender with postwork being sharpen and contrast filter.

I also ran this thru a toon/comic filter and liked the results also, will post that one after the contest.

Nice image, I like the sand concept.

Signature 

My DAZ User Gallery
Deviantart gallery: storypilot.deviantart.com

Storypilot’s Pizza Kitchen - Art Studio thread

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 718 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06
cwichura - 05 March 2013 10:59 AM

This is a non-entry, since the contest requires posting images to this thread only, and I will never upload an image to the DAZ forums.  But the environment and mech enforcer are Stonemason products:

That Way

..very nice.  I like the rain and light effects

I hear you about images posted in the forums here.  There seems to be an odd sort of compression that, even when viewed at full size, which messes with the contrast and colours. I ‘ll look at something I posted here and say “yecch, that looks like crap,” then look at the original .jpg in my pics folder or on DA, and everything is fine.

Signature 

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 719 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1401
Joined  2009-09-11

So I was not the only one to post none entry stuff interesting…

Signature 

http://bobvan.deviantart.com/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/37909888@N05/sets/

Posted: 05 March 2013 10:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 720 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...yep, though all of mine were via links to my DA gallery (even “fixed” the one I accidentally posted in the thread).

Signature 

48 of 80