Digital Art Zone

72 of 80
The 2013 Stonemason Catalogue Contest
Posted: 06 April 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1066 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  897
Joined  2010-05-08

Here is a possible idea?.? Since you have such an amazing turnout in your contest, maybe you could consider throwing more prizes into the mix. And, if you would use a pre-judging method to separate the entries into three distinct voting categories (similar to how Daz previews images that it allows to be posted on the facebook page), you could create the ‘quality entry’ category which would be eligible for the prizes already mentioned for the community vote. Then you could split the remaining images into the beginner group and the intermediate group, providing additional prizes at these levels. In this way those of us who believe we had no chance of winning actually get a chance to walk away with a prize.

Signature 

IF is the Life of Matter ~ UTO

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1067 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  524
Joined  2012-11-06
Kyoto Kid - 06 April 2013 03:32 AM

...but is it compatible with Magento and Daz Forums?

Well, no.  But I believe that that is the main issue that Stefan is having is the limitations on the DAZ forums.  So this would be a seperate Wordpress site that we could setup and then we would need to register the 252 people via emails to do the voting.

This suggestion was only an alternative to Stefan having to do this on his own website on the chance that he doesn’t use Wordpress.

Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 06 April 2013 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1068 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  234
Joined  2005-07-17

Actually, quite a few less than 252 since that was the number of entries and most people entered twice.

Posted: 06 April 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1069 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  375
Joined  2003-11-24
sfaa69 - 06 April 2013 11:41 AM

Actually, quite a few less than 252 since that was the number of entries and most people entered twice.

Good point. Although I only entered once as when I was half done with my second render I took a look at some of the other entries and decided it would be a wasted effort..

The prizes are just too good, they drew everyone out of the woodwork..

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1070 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1001
Joined  2012-02-04

I think we are a close enough community that whatever is easiest for you and quickest at this point.
If you want to leave it as is and start the voting.  I think we can pull that off.  smile
If it’s just too much or too difficult you could just choose all the winners yourself.
I’m easy.  smile

Posted: 06 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1071 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  728
Joined  2003-10-09

I don’t want to sound negative, but one thing does concern me.

Moving the voting off the “neutral” forum site makes the chance for abuse increase.

If things get out of hand, then this will turn to an even bigger logistical nightmare.

Signature 

My Gallery

Posted: 06 April 2013 07:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1072 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  159
Joined  2004-06-23
Stonemason - 05 April 2013 07:06 PM

alternatively we could just vote on the images as they are.?

thanks
Stefan

That sounds reasonable to me. Is it possible to just remove all posts that don’t contain entries? No sense in over complicating things.

You could number each qualified entry post and have a complimentary thread where folks could vote by number.

Posted: 06 April 2013 09:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1073 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2010-07-25

whatever would be easiest works for me…. if it would be easier to have all who made images post them in a new thread i would be fine with or we can just wade through this one also smile

Posted: 06 April 2013 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1074 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-11-24

I know that on other forums it’s possible for moderators to split threads; they could just take all the relevant posts and create a new thread from them..

But then that’s on common message board systems.. I don’t know if they thought to add that feature when they decided to build this one from the ground up..

Posted: 07 April 2013 04:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1075 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17066
Joined  2003-10-09

Splitting 252 posts, scattered around a thread this long, would not be a simple solution, regardless of whether we were using the old software or this new software. Plus of course splitting would mean this thread would lose all the images that were spilt out, which would make the coversations somewaht irrelevant, as the comments would be about posts that are no longer in the thread.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 07 April 2013 06:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1076 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  922
Joined  2005-11-06

Here’s an idea, why not just let Stefan look thru the entries and pick the winners which i thought was the original plan instead of community voting. Popularity contests are rarely based solely on artistic merit.

Signature 

Regards, Michael

“Documentation? Who needs documentation, just open it and learn!”

My DeviantArt Gallery

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 07 April 2013 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1077 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8328
Joined  2009-05-14

The first page explains it all…. wink

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 07 April 2013 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1078 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-11-24
chohole - 07 April 2013 04:54 AM

Splitting 252 posts, scattered around a thread this long, would not be a simple solution, regardless of whether we were using the old software or this new software. Plus of course splitting would mean this thread would lose all the images that were spilt out, which would make the coversations somewaht irrelevant, as the comments would be about posts that are no longer in the thread.

Then delete all of the irrelevant posts. The point is to make things easier..

Frankly I couldn’t begin to pick out images to vote on as there are soo many non-entry images posted in this thread that I stopped following it after the first week..

Posted: 07 April 2013 08:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1079 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  58
Joined  2008-03-16

Deleting all non relevent posts from the original thread seems a good way to go about it. As the contest was going I saved all entries to a folder every day so I already have my votes sorted out using Acdsee tagging them a 1 though 5 rating, so now I just have to pick my top ones from the 5 rating category. But I do believe only people who entered should be allowed to vote once for each position. ie… one vote for 1st one for 2nd, 3rd,  1 for for for community favorite…etc.. and not for their own piece. And I agree about the no comments comment when voting. Best of luck sorting this out Stonemason.  Haven’t there been contests like this before on these forums? How were those handled?

Signature 

“Go then, there are other worlds than these.”  - Jake “Bama” Chambers       Deviant Art

DAZ Gallery works

Posted: 07 April 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1080 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  520
Joined  2006-07-28

Deleting all non relevant posts from a COPY of this topic would be ok, but I wouldn’t want any post deleted from this topic.

However, it’s not really fair to ask the mods to “fix” this.  Instead of making Stonemason find a solution, we could repost our images to a new topic.  That is ... if we want to participate in being judged by the community.  Not everyone might want to be judged by the community.

Give us a week or so to do so ... not like any other way will be quicker.  After all ... isn’t everyone else who entered checking this topic daily?

Some contests used the DAZ ArtZone (which doesn’t exist anymore) to submit entries.  Others have used an entry only topic and a separate discussion topic.  I believe most contests on the DAZ forums tend to have fewer entries, and there aren’t usually a lot of non-entries posted.

Davage003 - 07 April 2013 08:05 AM

Deleting all non relevent posts from the original thread seems a good way to go about it. As the contest was going I saved all entries to a folder every day so I already have my votes sorted out using Acdsee tagging them a 1 though 5 rating, so now I just have to pick my top ones from the 5 rating category. But I do believe only people who entered should be allowed to vote once for each position. ie… one vote for 1st one for 2nd, 3rd,  1 for for for community favorite…etc.. and not for their own piece. And I agree about the no comments comment when voting. Best of luck sorting this out Stonemason.  Haven’t there been contests like this before on these forums? How were those handled?

Signature 

Satira Capriccio on deviantART

72 of 80