Just having a play with tube lighting.
Process is as follows.
1. Turn all lighting off inc ambient so that I render black.
2. Add one Tube light. 100% brightness, no fall off, white and small distance (6ft x 6ft for eg)
3. Move it near a light source and play with lengths until it falls to cover about the right amount (not much distance)
4. Now play with brightness, colour and set fall off to 30%.
5. Copy and paste around so that there are lots of ‘em in the scene.
6. Let the light bounce off each other (some bits of scene overlap with lights, some are dark)
7. (sometimes) Bring up ambient light to fill the corners with a little light (10-15% max).
e.g. of an old model I could never make look good until tube lighting.
n.b. no post work here. I could (should) have added some glow. Ah well, just playing around.
EDIT - 2x Tutorial vids!