What was special for me about this project?
Zbrush Fiber Hair
I custom tailored a zbrush fiber mesh hair to a figure set up in DS4.5.
My goal was not to create a user friendly hair.
So I kept all 900’000 points and transfered the mesh over to DS with GoZ.
Rendering times were very long as expected.
A first try with the Uber Hair shader took about 5 hours.
I then wanted to find out how long the hair would render at a 1920x1080 resolution with Ueber Environment, 1 distance light and several point lights without a special hair shader to reduce quality / render times:
About 40 hours.
Shading rate at 0.02 / UE shading rate at 8
Pixel samples at 10
Shadow samples at 20
Only afterwards I noticed that there were some reflective surfaces left on the armor from test rendering that were not exchanged. One has to pay attention with those shader presets that have the same name for versions with Environment Maps and without..
AE Elements 3D
I used the AE plugin Elements 3D to create a shatter Effect.
The plugin uses an open GL based render engine.
Several instances of the same 3D objects can be manually shattered, displaced, rotated etc.
At the moment there is no physic engine behind the plugin. Nevertheless especially with prefractured CG models there can some interesting effects be achieved.
The rendering is very fast at 1920x1080. The plugin is intended for videos of static objects. At resolutions larger than 3733x2100 at least on my system there seems to be a risk that the open GL renderer will crash.
- - -
Link to final image on facebook:
“Vanilla - Shattering Cyborgs”
Fiber Hair created with Pixologic Zbrush.
Cyborg Shatter Effect created and rendered in AE Elements 3D.
Rendered in DAZ Studio.
Additional postproduction in Photoshop CS6.
PA licensed content:
Vanilla, Cyborg, Svana, Metal Madness, Quantum Labs [...].
- - -
Attached is a behind the scenes image that gives an overview over the project.
On the left side there can be seen the different layers that were combined for the final image.
On the right side are some screenshots of how everything looked in the different softwares used.
A big thank you to all on the DAZ forum who helped me out on the way to finish this image with your quick answers to issues, tips and help all over the forum!