Digital Art Zone

3 of 5
AdamR001’s Default Categories Layout for DS4.5
Posted: 19 February 2013 02:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1306
Joined  0

As it turned out I had to uninstall everything and reinstall DS 4.5 and CMS, then managed to install the category setup. Now to start installing and categorizing…maybe, just maybe I will get to render something by next winter lol

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 19 February 2013 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

Ok so now I have reinstalled the Genesis Essentials and have them in the uncatagorized folder..BUT…that folder is in the default folder not under catagories like I thought it would be…that’s kinda awkward for moving files around NO?  or do I still have something wrong in how I am doing this?

Signature 

“If you get a chance….Take it!  If it changes your life….Let it!.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.”

Posted: 19 February 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4467
Joined  2004-08-11

My usual for organizing has gone by the wayside so I don’t mess up what the Smart Content tab does.  If you do want to move files around you really need to do that through DAZ Studio.  If you do it through the Explorer in Windows or what ever on MAC then the meta data won’t get updated.  So while it looks a mess from a folder view in your OS browser it will be better organized via Smart Content.  That’s my findings so far.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 19 February 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14
3Ddreamer - 19 February 2013 10:45 AM

Thanks for that Adam, what I am trying to avoid is the ‘Categorize from Unassigned’ bit for all my content again, if I could change the base path on all the orphaned files at once - since everything is installed to the default path - that should fix the entries, or it at least did for the couple of individual files I tried. If there is no obvious way of changing that I’ll have to go back to the drawing board about how I install everything. Think I might be back to installing over the current folders again. Thanks.

Oh, I think I finally understand your problem.  ^_^;;  Why not just point DIM to reinstall things to your previous location?  That’s what I did.  Aside from a few duplicates, it wasn’t hard at all.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 19 February 2013 04:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14
Kharma - 19 February 2013 02:49 PM

Ok so now I have reinstalled the Genesis Essentials and have them in the uncatagorized folder..BUT…that folder is in the default folder not under catagories like I thought it would be…that’s kinda awkward for moving files around NO?  or do I still have something wrong in how I am doing this?

Nope, that’s correct unfortunately.  Unassigned appears underneath Default. :/  I asked to have that changed, but it never happened.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

So I spent the day reorganizing my categories and then got all kinds of errors saying it couldn’t find the data.  Is there any rules to where you can move stuff to in categories?  I was moving the files for the Genesis essentials bundle to characters, clothing etc…the problem seems to be when I moved files from the genesis/data folder…needless to say I reset the database and now its all gone :(((  I could cry>>>>all that wasted time!

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

No no, you can NEVER move stuff on the file system if you want to use categories.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
adamr001 - 19 February 2013 08:45 PM

No no, you can NEVER move stuff on the file system if you want to use categories.

adam what do you mean?  I was moving files in the unassigned folder into different categories in your structure.  Can you not move the files that come in the essentials?  I was under the impression that moving files anywhere inside categories doesn’t affect their association to each other.

Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

You shouldn’t see anything in the Data folder inside the Content Library.  Can you go to Edit > Preferences > Content Library > Content Directory Manager, expand the “DAZ Studio Formats” and “Poser Formats” sections, and post a screenshot?

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

this is my content directories now.  Is sthere s step by step of how to move stuff around in categories?  I think I have really messed it up now as the folders from adam’s folder structure are now integrated into my categories but not all of them ...only the ones I moved stuff to from unassigned category.  I just don’t get it…sorry

Image Attachments
content_directory.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

mike this is the data folder I am refering to…how and where can I catagorize the morphs and uv folders in here?

Image Attachments
data_folder.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4467
Joined  2004-08-11

Re categorizing stuff within DAZ Studio, esp within the Smart Content area.

Signature 

—- Wolff On The Prowl—-

Pan Project

Posted: 19 February 2013 10:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8425
Joined  2007-11-06

The problem is that you have nested content folders, “E:\3D Content” and “E:\3D Content\Genesis Characters”.  Nested content folders will cause many problems, one of which is having special folders displayed that shouldn’t be visible.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ

Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips starting July 2013
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Plugin Version Numbers for DS 4.5
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 20 February 2013 03:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2011-02-16
adamr001 - 19 February 2013 03:52 PM
3Ddreamer - 19 February 2013 10:45 AM

Thanks for that Adam, what I am trying to avoid is the ‘Categorize from Unassigned’ bit for all my content again, if I could change the base path on all the orphaned files at once - since everything is installed to the default path - that should fix the entries, or it at least did for the couple of individual files I tried. If there is no obvious way of changing that I’ll have to go back to the drawing board about how I install everything. Think I might be back to installing over the current folders again. Thanks.

Oh, I think I finally understand your problem.  ^_^;;  Why not just point DIM to reinstall things to your previous location?  That’s what I did.  Aside from a few duplicates, it wasn’t hard at all.

Sorry if I wasn’t making sense ;-( I’ve been tossing between a clean install and over-writing my current setup. My IT head likes the clean install putting all DAZ content together, but without a relative easy way to sort the orphaned files I’m back to plan A and install over my previous setup wink

Signature 

Meg

Michael 5 made me a convert to DS4
M6/G2M might make me take interest in Genesis 2

DS4.6Pro on W7 64bit laptop

Posted: 20 February 2013 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
RAMWolff - 19 February 2013 10:47 PM

Re categorizing stuff within DAZ Studio, esp within the Smart Content area.

sorry RAMWolf I do not know what you mean by this statement???

Signature 

3 of 5