1 of 5
AdamR001’s Default Categories Layout for DS4.5
Posted: 16 January 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1336
Joined  2006-03-14

AdamR001’s Default Categories Metadata

DISCLAIMER: This freebie is provided as-is without warranty, yada yada yada.  If it breaks, it’s not my fault.

WHAT IT IS: This is a structure for categorizing your content.  It is NOT the only way to do it.  It is NOT having everything pre-categorized for you.  It is just a structure.  It’s an idea, a place to start, and YOU are allowed to change it.

Requirements:
DAZ Studio 4.5.1.6 or higher is recommended, but any version supporting Metadata 4.5.x and higher should work.
Start from a *clean* categories.  Resetting your database prior to installing is recommended.

Caveats:
If you have your own category system, PLEASE backup your database or export your personal metadata prior to installation.  Copy the backup to a safe location.  Don’t overwrite your backup with mine. raspberry
If you don’t flatten your personal database first, some categories might not get created.  (E.g., in case of conflict) but in general it *should* be OK.
The ONLY pre-categorized content in this database are the special “deleteme.dsa” placeholder and the entirety of the Genesis Starter Essentials bundle.  No other products are categorized. 

Installation:
With DAZ Studio Running:
Unzip to a temporary location and copy the resulting files to any DAZ Studio native directory, but prefereably your primary one.  This is *usually* ~\My Documents\DAZ 3D\My Library.
Inside of DAZ Studio select the Content Library tab.
Left-click on the Context Menu at the top right of the Content Library tab and select “Content DB Maintenance”.
Select the checkbox next to “Re-Import Metadata”.
Click Accept.
In the resulting window make certain “UserData1 N/A” is checked.
Make certain “All Products” is checked.
Uncheck “Show Items as New Content” (optional)
Make certain “User Data Overrrides Product Data” is checked.
Click Accept
Wait.  This could take awhile if you have a lot of content installed already that has metadata.
Once the import has finished, go to Categories > Utilities, Scripts
Right click on “deleteme” and select “Browse to File Location”
In the resulting window, right click and delete the file “deleteme.dsa”.
Close the window and go back to DAZ Studio.
Click on any other category and then back to “Utilities, Scripts”.
Right click on the “Deleteme” icon which now should have a large yellow triangle with an execlamation point on it and select “Remove Orphanded File Reference.”
Done!  You should now have a clean set of categories to start categorizing your content in.  Explore it a bit, get to know it, change what you don’t like.  Have fun and happy organizing.

* DOWNLOAD *

Screenshots of the installation process are below.

Signature 

My Tutorials and Freebies Index

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

With DAZ Studio Open… Go to the Content Library tab, left-click on the context menu

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_01.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Select “Content DB Maintenance”,

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_02.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

then “Re-Import Metadata” and Accept, change the default options as shown… and accept

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_03.pngcmdb_md_04.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Wait a bit…

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_05.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Now to finish cleaning things up…

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_06.pngcmdb_md_07.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Then delete the “deleteme.dsa” file!  Yes, really!

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_08.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Now, back in DS, click any other category and then back to the Utilities, Scripts folder.  Right click on the now “missing” deleteme file and select “Removed Orphaned File Reference”.

Enjoy. smile

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_09.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Here’s an idea of the structure you’ll be getting smile

Image Attachments
cmdb_md_10.png
 Signature 

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8222
Joined  2009-05-14

Hope you were finished Adam. wink

Great stuff…I have downloaded ready for when I get back up and running. I hadn’t been using Catagories since leaving DS3 and moving all my content to a USB HDD but this will get me back to using them again, cheers much appreciated.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 16 January 2013 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2322
Joined  2011-11-16

Just to clarify, this assumes everything is installed to the default location, correct?

Signature 

Just because I may have a strong opinion doesn’t make it any more (or less) correct than any other, just that I feel passionately a particular way at that moment.

Posted: 17 January 2013 08:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Yes and No.

No in the sense that your application and content can be installed into any directory.

Yes in the sense that, at least with the Genesis starter essentials, the relative path of the products is expected to be default.  Since I’m providing no pre-categorization of any other content, you can mess with that to your heart’s content.  This is simply a category structure for YOU to populate.

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 02:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2277
Joined  2005-09-05
adamr001 - 17 January 2013 08:41 AM

Yes and No.

No in the sense that your application and content can be installed into any directory.

Yes in the sense that, at least with the Genesis starter essentials, the relative path of the products is expected to be default.  Since I’m providing no pre-categorization of any other content, you can mess with that to your heart’s content.  This is simply a category structure for YOU to populate.

Firstly, thanks for doing this…

However, I’m a bit confused. If I have already set up my categories is there any point to me installing it? If I’m reading this post correctly I would then have to recategorise everything again?

I noticed also you have everything set up outside of default…what are the pros and cons of setting up there?

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 17 January 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14

Hi Pendraia,

The point of this is for people are do not have a structure already or do not like the default Structure DAZ provides.  It is simply my response to an inquiry for someone complaining that they couldn’t find their stuff. smile  You wouldn’t necessarily *have* to re-categorize everything, but certainly if you wanted it in this structure you would.

Inside vs. Outside of “Default”... Yes, there is a point in setting it up outside of Default.  By doing so, I keep MY metadata completely separate from the DAZ Metadata.  All the default Metadata and hierarchy will remain inside Default so you get the best of both worlds.  A custom layout and the DAZ provided layout without any conflict.  As to cons?  Well, none that I can think of.  Except maybe still seeing “Default” in the main list.  That annoys me sometimes. :D

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2277
Joined  2005-09-05
adamr001 - 17 January 2013 03:00 PM

Inside vs. Outside of “Default”... Yes, there is a point in setting it up outside of Default.  By doing so, I keep MY metadata completely separate from the DAZ Metadata.  All the default Metadata and hierarchy will remain inside Default so you get the best of both worlds.  A custom layout and the DAZ provided layout without any conflict.  As to cons?  Well, none that I can think of.  Except maybe still seeing “Default” in the main list.  That annoys me sometimes. :D

Hi Adam…

I thought it might be for people just starting out, thanks for the response.

Metadata…confuses the hell out of me. When you say your Metadata, are you talking about metadata that you have personally created?

I agree that the default is annoying I much preferred when they had the unassigned category. I also find all the folders that you can’t move or rename annoying. I think I’ve seen a fix for it but can’t remember where unfortunately.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 17 January 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-03-14
Pendraia - 17 January 2013 03:38 PM

I thought it might be for people just starting out, thanks for the response.

Metadata…confuses the hell out of me. When you say your Metadata, are you talking about metadata that you have personally created?

I agree that the default is annoying I much preferred when they had the unassigned category. I also find all the folders that you can’t move or rename annoying. I think I’ve seen a fix for it but can’t remember where unfortunately.

Unassigned still exists!  You just kind of have to trick DS into letting you have it. 

The *best* way to do this is:

1) Open DS.
2) Install Content
3) Search Known Directories for New Files (Content Library context menu > Scn known Directories…)
4) Categorize your Content from Default > Unassigned
5) Content Library Context Menu > Content DB Maintenance > Process Metadata Queue

This avoids letting DS “Pre-categorize” new content AND still maintains the DAZ Default structure (anything automatically created in Default cannot be moved/deleted/etc.  Another “Pro” to organizing outside of Default).

Signature 

1 of 5