Digital Art Zone

Help needed Please! 
Posted: 16 January 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  75
Joined  2010-02-18

I have been watching some tuts on you-tube and came across one modeling a Tank Top for V4. I was able to pick up most of what the person was doing except for one step! They had selected 4 surfaces to delete for arm holes And when they did that the corners are rounded and not pointed. He/she fly’s through the thing at wrap speed and can.t figure out they rounded the corners.
He/she did it all in one step! Is it some setting preference that I am missing or what!
Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Image Attachments
corners_rounded.png

Posted: 16 January 2013 12:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  252
Joined  2005-01-15

Any chance you could post a link to the tutorial ?

Signature 

My DAZ Gallery

Posted: 16 January 2013 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15232
Joined  2003-10-09

They applied smoothing/Sub-division to the mesh - that’s why it’s also smoothly curved overall, despite having only a few polygons.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 16 January 2013 07:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2277
Joined  2005-09-05
Richard Haseltine - 16 January 2013 12:54 PM

They applied smoothing/Sub-division to the mesh - that’s why it’s also smoothly curved overall, despite having only a few polygons.

To add to what Richard has said.

When you click on the smoothing under properties it doesn’t actually change the way the mesh looks until you click on the lightning bolt under Dynamic Geometry. It allows you to view what happens with smoothing applied and to also have fewer polys to manipulate.

If you click on the the lightning bolt it will then display all the polys in the viewport but the poly count at the top changes as soon as you apply the smoothing but will change back if you click on the lower boxes.

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 18 January 2013 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  210
Joined  2003-10-09

In sub-D level zero, move the corner points more towards the middle and then smooth. Now you have a round hole.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 19 January 2013 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  295
Joined  2009-08-21

Ciao a tutti.
Sorry if my curiosity is stupid but I can not translate exactly.
I have a curiosity:
it is possible to transform the hole to give rectangular or square shape keeping the smoot and without adding anything but only by acting on the sides?
Thank you for your help.
I hope I have written decently….
Bye

Image Attachments
buco.JPG
 Signature 

“Il principio della scienza della pittura è il punto, il secondo è la linea, il terzo è la superficie, il quarto è il corpo che si veste di tal superficie”
Leonardo da Vinci