Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Carrara Community Movie Project needs Concept sketches.(Would Like)
Posted: 15 January 2013 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  250
Joined  2004-12-08

Hey Carrara’ns , some of you may know about the “Carrara Community Movie Project” which aims to showcase Carrara Studio’s strength as a 3d program.  We are starting with a short “dry run clip” to iron out the bugs and we are looking for volunteers .  If you’re interested in helping,  this is a great way to learn and improve your 3d skills, I find projects like this can really push your skills forward, it can be hard work but very rewarding..

Soooo…..., here is a quick StoreyBoard for the “dry run” movie clip . For now we are looking for concept sketches of the Character mainly and the background is secondary.  You can do your sketches in any style you wish , cartoony , semi realistic ., whatever you want .  We just need to get some ideas going. 

Check out the link here or see attached image for the “Easy Come Easy Go” storeyboard . 

https://www.box.com/s/vgo9vetdv0s3kggrg3qj

Lets show the world what carrara can do, well a few people anyways.cool smile

Image Attachments
DazTestClipStoryBrd.jpg

Posted: 15 January 2013 08:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  157
Joined  2008-12-02

There are a lot of useful things we hope to get out of working on a short clip before the movie project. One is just working together as a group ie. File sharing logistics. Another is talent pool recognition. Another is Mentoring / teaching / learning to build up some skills. There is also the hope of getting more people involved. If for instance in the above storyboard—you wanted to try and model the coin…....well…...that’s something you can share. Maybe its good enough to use. Maybe not- first go round , maybe with some suggestions you make another one a little better. It’s this kind of thing that will grow the talent pool upward.

As most likely not many folks here have ever attempted to make a community movie project—there are many things to learn , to share and to discover.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 15 January 2013 08:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04

Not to mention all of the fun you’ll have working in Carrara! cool hmm

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 15 January 2013 09:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  817
Joined  2006-05-26

Brilliant. Thanks for initiating this thread Mmoir! Things are really moving along now!

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 16 January 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  390
Joined  2006-08-27

Has the story been selected yet? I might have missed that…

The characters depend on the story, so which one has been chosen?

Signature 

My Showcase at Carrara Cafe

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-02

Antara—there is a poll on this forum about which storyline to choose. This exercise I think is more in line to take a short storyline—any kind really and work out the kinks to working in groups , seeing what talent pool there maybe and general learning. Kind of a practice run of sorts.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 16 January 2013 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

Okay guys, here is my Concept Sketch for the character in the Dry Run clip.  I am seeing this guy in cartoony colours… What do you think?  I am sure you guys will come up with some great stuff. Here is the link or just look at the attached image.

https://www.box.com/files#/files/0/f/588506908/1/f_5641345800

Image Attachments
Character_Concept.jpg

Posted: 16 January 2013 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Well, since I was told that the story doesn’t matter, I sketched the alien one. So not to be used here, I guess. But I am attaching it anyhow. As a sample.

I really like the Aliens idea because it has a potential of being a great animation with lots of emotional points and a universal appeal.

Since there is only one character (and human) in the storyboard above, are we all supposed to sketch this one guy?

I like mmoir’s character, but I could sketch a couple more if there is need.

Image Attachments
Story_alien_1sm.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

2 very quick character sketches for the lost coin story.

2 very different types of characters.

One is the super healthy looking “boy-scout” kid. Yellow t-shirt, beige or khaki shorts white sneakers.

The other is vaguely “goth”. Lanky and super tall with pale skin. Dressed in all black/gray and reds.
If you want me to sketch an idea in more detail, let me know.

P.S. Also, with the “goth” character it could be fun to make the hole in the pocket as part of the overall fashion statement with the black jeans t-shirt being fashionably torn and having unfinished edges at the hem and sleeves.

Image Attachments
Story_Coin_Char1.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 01:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  103
Joined  2005-02-19

Hi, I am new and have collected about a thousand Poser models for fantasy art. To date, beyond learning how to do various tasks, I have been working on fixing data file reference errors and othger such problems. I would like to get involved in a community project and would appreciate any pointers to a place which would appreciate my work.

Here’s the render I made yesterday, which I built from scratch and made in Carrara 8.1 in a total of 20 hours. Previously such work had taken a month, and I am finally starting to get faster. Since then I fixed the sandals (which didn’t fit properly on this model) and I have been getting the libraries into the 8.5 beta.

Thank you for your attention )

Image Attachments
Doc6.jpg

Posted: 17 January 2013 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

I;m not sure if I thanked you for this dry run ideal and for the dry run follow through. Smart idea Mmoir. I think we need to make sure you are running this project, I like the way your mind works. Thanks a super ton!

Signature 

Posted: 17 January 2013 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

Antara ,
  Great character concept sketches and storeyboard.cool smile  Good idea with the goth character too..

I like your characters much more than mine.. what do the rest of you guys think?

Antara - 17 January 2013 12:04 AM

One is the super healthy looking “boy-scout” kid. Yellow t-shirt, beige or khaki shorts white sneakers.

The other is vaguely “goth”. Lanky and super tall with pale skin. Dressed in all black/gray and reds.

P.S. Also, with the “goth” character it could be fun to make the hole in the pocket as part of the overall fashion statement with the black jeans t-shirt being fashionably torn and having unfinished edges at the hem and sleeves.

Posted: 17 January 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

Welcome aboard,
  Just start trying something here if you want , maybe some modeling or concept work. Just keep an eye out and help us where you want/
Mike

emeyer - 17 January 2013 01:04 AM

Hi, I am new and have collected about a thousand Poser models for fantasy art. To date, beyond learning how to do various tasks, I have been working on fixing data file reference errors and othger such problems. I would like to get involved in a community project and would appreciate any pointers to a place which would appreciate my work.

Here’s the render I made yesterday, which I built from scratch and made in Carrara 8.1 in a total of 20 hours. Previously such work had taken a month, and I am finally starting to get faster. Since then I fixed the sandals (which didn’t fit properly on this model) and I have been getting the libraries into the 8.5 beta.

Thank you for your attention )

Posted: 18 January 2013 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
mmoir - 17 January 2013 09:06 AM

Antara ,
  Great character concept sketches and storeyboard.cool smile  Good idea with the goth character too..

I like your characters much more than mine.. what do the rest of you guys think?

Antara - 17 January 2013 12:04 AM

Both character sets are fantastic. I guess I can agree that Antara’s are a fun interpretation of the original concept. I’m all for it.

Signature 

Posted: 18 January 2013 06:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-02

Antara—-really liked your storyboard for alien like movie. And also the “Easy come easy go”  one Mike. Already these early steps are helping to figure some things out even without a story yet. It not easy to go from nothing to a Movie Production—so folks have to realize things have to evolve in their own time and maybe not in a straight line.

We do have a number of threads kind of all over the place and it might seem a little chaotic but hopefully people understand these early steps are all pretty much focused on learning how to work as a community. 

So this short clip project as “practice”  has all the elements of the larger movie project but it so so much shorter and hopefully one we learn a lot from. Plus - its while we work on the figuring out what story will be used. And in fact—while the final story whatever it ends up as is can be detailed written and story boarded.

The modeling thread is also helpful as for one we pick up some assets (props) and the second we have folks learning more about the VM (Vertex Modeler) in Carrara and learning to work together.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 18 January 2013 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-12-02

Emeyer——-there will be lots of opportunities to help in the short clip project and or the full Movie Project. If you can draw, model. texture, animate for instance there will be lots of chances to hook up with some team. If you have render time to share that could be useful. If you have a web site to share awesome…..just think of everything it would take to make a CG movie————-lots of jobs .
                    Just keep watching the forums here. There is a modeling thread already going and if you want to try some of that—please do.

rich

Signature 

Rich

1 of 2