Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Grey block after Zbrush
Posted: 14 January 2013 08:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2012-10-08

After taking thru to Zbrush via Goz and back into Daz3d, then saving and reopening I get this grey box. There is nothing I can do with it, the morphs are still there, but my work is lost. I have to re add the prop, Zbrush and back again.

I think I’m not saving the document properly, that I should be saving each morphed prop as some sort of ‘support asset.’ However, I’m unsure what and more importantly why.

It seems such a drag that I should have to save each prop, each time I change or add another morph. I’d like to simply add all the morphs I want to any and all props and simply and easily save the whole document just the once.

I’m building these for illustration purposes, have no need to animate nor do I need to save the morphs for any other use. I intend to render once and delete the whole job.

Be happy for ever,
Steve

Image Attachments
GREY_BLOCK_AFTER_ZBRUSH.jpg

Posted: 14 January 2013 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13703
Joined  2003-10-09

If you don’t save the morph as an asset it should be saved in the .duf scene file, where are your content directories and which operating system are you using?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 14 January 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Joined  2012-10-08

My content daz directories are stored on one hard disk, my daz app on another and my work folder on yet another. I do save as ‘morph assets.’ In the daz content directory ‘Steve.’ Though this is tiresome for each time I make yet another morph for one hair prop. Perhaps I missed one hair morph as I have to fill in a dialogue box (Morph Asset(s) Save Options) asking me for Vendor name & Product name and I have to tick boxes for all the morphs. I also save the regular duf document and as Support Assets > Scene Asset(s) which takes quite a bit of time.

I guess I’m trying to find the reasoning behind all this. Currently, I’m saving in all places at all times in an effort to catch all variations in order to avoid losing work to the dreaded grey boxes. This is tedious and ‘dumb monkey.’

I’m on Windows 7 64Bit.

Thanks for your reply.

Posted: 14 January 2013 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  289
Joined  2005-10-02

I get exactly the same thing - grey boxes after GoZ to ZBrush and back. It isn’t every time though. I suspect that sometimes I exceed some limits that I’m not aware of.  The odd thing is that it only happens after being saved and re-opened.

I saved the last one as a sub-scene and included the character and all clothing but not the default camera. I saved it back to the People/Genesis/Character folder. I narrowed the grey-box issue to a modification I had made to one of the items of clothing. I made similar mods to other clothing in the same scene but they did not cause a problem.

I am never sure whether to send to GoZ withor without existing deformations (I hope I’ve stated that correctly - I’m not looking at it right now). Nor am I sure whether to send it back to DAZ Studio with over-ride existing morphs selected (again, I might have got the wording wrong).

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Joined  2012-10-08
marble - 14 January 2013 10:27 AM

I am never sure whether to send to GoZ withor without existing deformations (I hope I’ve stated that correctly - I’m not looking at it right now). Nor am I sure whether to send it back to DAZ Studio with over-ride existing morphs selected (again, I might have got the wording wrong).

I’m in the same boat. In the picture I’m working on I have 8 hats and 8 hairs. Each prop, I take to Zbrush, move a little and bring it back to Daz. I take it over with deformations, and bring it back with a new morph. Ultimately, I have maybe 10 morphs for each prop, some 160 morphs in one document. It’s tedious to keep saving each morph, clearly.

All I want to do is save my work, simply and easily. Currently, I fear closing a document and reopening it to find props replaced by grey blocks. I have no way of knowing if I’ve saved a morphed prop correctly before I close the document.

I should point out that tweaking hair and hats like this in Zbrush, avoiding ‘mesh smoothing’ is frankly and plainly wonderful : ) Thusly, I’d love to find out how to save correctly.

Posted: 14 January 2013 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Are the things you are morphing TriAx figure or props (items for Genesis), or are they parametric rigging (items for Victoria 4 etc.)?

You would send to ZBrush with deformations if, for example, you wanted to adjust the fit of an item to the current morph or pose - without would be for when you wanted to change the base shape.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2013 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-10-02
Richard Haseltine - 14 January 2013 01:27 PM

Are the things you are morphing TriAx figure or props (items for Genesis), or are they parametric rigging (items for Victoria 4 etc.)?

In my case the character (the new Julie) and her clothing are all made for Genesis - just bought them all yesterday.

Posted: 14 January 2013 01:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2005-10-02

You would send to ZBrush with deformations if, for example, you wanted to adjust the fit of an item to the current morph or pose - without would be for when you wanted to change the base shape.

The reason I asked is because the shirt in question has no breast morphs if you send it to ZBrush without deformations (i.e. it arrives in ZB with a flat chest). I’m wondering whether making modifications to a shirt without deformations but sending it back to DS to apply to a shirt that already had the breast morphs applied might be a problem? Hope that makes sense.

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Joined  2012-10-08

That’s a hard question. They’re props. Hair and hats. Added to Genesis. A range of hair, some of which is V4 hair. I believe the grey block was Amarseda V4.daz hair. However, this has happened before, but I don’t have the files to track down the types.

I take Genesis, hair and hat over to Zbrush, which shows it as a tool with subtools. I arrange hair, have that as the selected subtool hit GoZ and back to Daz, where I accept the morph. Thence, back to Zbrush, highlight the hat, Goz, and accept that morph. I don’t change anything in Genesis.

I’ve done the grey block thing sometime before, with Genesis, I believe. This grey block gag has happened a few times, which has made me wary of Daz, Yesterday, several Zbrush morphed hair suffered the same horrible fate.

However, posing and all the characters etc in Daz is so seductive, I must cure this grey block fear : )

I’m wondering if there was a way to merely alter the base product, again and again and again, as tweaking in Zbrush. Saving the prop as some other name initially. And if this would be faster than saving morphs over and over, building up many, many morphs for one hair prop.

I also fear that morphs piled on top of yet more morphs aren’t being saved correctly. It appears that the newly opened document, with the single grey block, also has hats and hair that aren’t how I left them when I saved the document. I had to re-do a lot of work today, from yesterday. The morph panels seem to be present, but at 0% when I’m pretty certain they were all 100%.

I suppose I’ll have to experiment, tomorrow.

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
marble - 14 January 2013 01:57 PM

The reason I asked is because the shirt in question has no breast morphs if you send it to ZBrush without deformations (i.e. it arrives in ZB with a flat chest). I’m wondering whether making modifications to a shirt without deformations but sending it back to DS to apply to a shirt that already had the breast morphs applied might be a problem? Hope that makes sense.

DS should apply the Reverse Deformations option when you send the morph back to DS if you sent the deformed mesh over initially, otherwise it would be very hard to use the bridge for fixing poke-through.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Assuming these errors are happening with a current version of DS4.5 I think they should be bug reported - it looks, to me, as if DS iss ometiems failing to store assets either locally (in the sceen file) or in the data folder, or is losing the link to the stored data. Please attach one of the offending scenes to your report, and give a note of the content used - you can make the report Private via a check box if you don’t want others to have access to the scene file (but you do have to make the whole reprot private, uploads alone can’t be tagged).

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Joined  2012-10-08

Here’s a before and after. Before I wrap up for the night.

The file I’ve been working on. saved as > support asset > scene asset(s). The same thing happens when I save the file as a regular duf with save as…

Three hairs are screwed, Two AmphitriteHairs and one Bolina hair. Both are V4 with several Zbrush morphs.

However, note the hat on the blonde on the second from the left. The hat has plainly moved. Similarly, other hats are also not as they are in the original document, though they are subtle, they have definitely changed.

Thusly, it is impossible for me to save a document and expect to come back to it at a later date. Sadly, Daz is broken for me.

Image removed by mod for nudity. Please review http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/3279_97/

Posted: 14 January 2013 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Joined  2012-10-08
Richard Haseltine - 14 January 2013 02:30 PM

current version of DS4.5 I think they should be bug reported - it looks, to me, as if DS iss ometiems failing to store assets either locally (in the sceen file) or in the data folder, or is losing the link to the stored data.

Thank you Richard. For the sanity check. I don’t want to gush, but you’re a hero : )

I’m on DS4.5.1.6. I’ll find out where to submit such.

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

bugs.daz3d.com , it’s a separate system from the store and forums so you will need to create an account if you haven’t been there before.

Signature 

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Joined  2012-10-08

Thanks, I did post it to the wrong place. Submitted properly now.

Posted: 14 January 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Joined  2012-10-08

To get around the puritanical. Here’s cropped before and after.

Images removed.  Please note we have no content advisory filters at present,  Please read this post
http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewannounce/3279_98/

1 of 2