OT: Windows 8 is coming…
Posted: 07 June 2012 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Vaskania - 07 June 2012 12:05 PM
pumeco - 07 June 2012 10:39 AM

> Old machine is a Celeron 2.6 with only 1.2 GB of RAM, 128MB graphics card, and Vista 32-Bit.
> New machine is a Quad-Core 3.4GHz AMD Black, 12GB or RAM, two GTX460 1GB graphics cards, and 64-Bit Windows 7.

Windows 7 is absolute crap compared to Windows Vista and Windows XP, and the new Windows 8 is even worse.  The screen redraw performance on Windows 7 went dramatically downhill, it can’t even redraw a simple text list properly without flickering sometimes.  There is a notable framerate drop ever since Windows 7, and as far as I’m concerned, Microsoft conned me into buying this OS by making out it’s a real performer.

It performs like sh*t

You should not be choking or performing like crap with those specs, unless its the AMD cpu. wink
I’m running an I7-2600K w/ OC throttle enabled, 8GB Corsair Vengeance lowpro, and also have SLI’d 2x GTX 460s (mine are from the EVGA superclocked line) running in W7 64bit and it handles everything I throw at it.. from games to graphics to audio to video. You might have an actual hardware issue going on, or some crapware on your machine that shouldn’t be there.

That’s just begging… Must resist.  Must resist.  MUST RESIST!

wink

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4995
Joined  2005-08-03

Ok, Kendall.. what am I missing here? LOL

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1874
Joined  2006-02-17
Vaskania - 07 June 2012 12:23 PM

Ok, Kendall.. what am I missing here? LOL

You’re going to make me type it aren’t you…  OK then, mods, I was asked grin

Windows is the crapware that shouldn’t be on the machine.

grin (of course)

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4995
Joined  2005-08-03

LOL

Granted, it can be a pile of poo. I’d be more inclined to use Linux with a gui if all of my games and graphics programs were Linux compatible out of the box.

Signature 

Wearing duck crap doesn’t make you a duck - Floki
@Deviantart | @ShareCG
Tutorial: V4 Transmap Brows on Genesis (DS)
Free Script: Bulk convert V4/M4 mats for Genesis2 (DS/Poser)

Posted: 07 June 2012 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  495
Joined  2004-06-12

Nope, it’s definitely Windows 7 that is crap, there’s stuff all over the web about it, Vista is officially faster than 7.
The usability of Windows get’s worse and worse upon every release.

It’s not as awkward as the Mac OS yet, but it’s not far off.  All Mircrosoft are interested in - just like Apple and Google - is creating an environment where they have control over everything.  That is the reason they couldn’t give a crap about removing the Start button and replacing it with what is technically one big ad-space for them.

That new design is Microsoft’s version of what Apple and Google are doing, all three of these companies are in panic mode right now, each doing their best to snare the gullible public into their system.  Should be obvious to anyone that the idea is that once everyone has been sucked into buying apps from them, before long, you will not have a choice because there’ll be no shops left to sell and compete on prices, you will pay whatever they tell you to pay.  They will have you all by the short and curlies as they say - which is exactly where they want you and is exactly what you’re helping every time you pay for “virtual” music instead of supporting a business and buying a real CD.

If you have Apple hardware, Apple will get a cut of every software purchase for it’s system (that’s my prediction and it’s a monopoly that ought to be illegal).  Just like iTunes has done with music, the same will happen with software and it is going to put millions of businesses out of business (and even more people out of jobs).  It’s the same with Microsoft and Google, they each want their cut of the market.  Best way to deal with this crap is simply do not buy these devices (iPads and Chromebooks etc), or in fact anything that actively promotes this type of monopoly.

Something radical has to change, otherwise we’ll all be paying through the eyes and nose for it in the not too distant future.  What is going on is extremely dangerous, not just because of the monopoly aspect of it, but because it means these companies are in a position where they effectively have more power than the government.  If you want to publish a book for example, you will be locked into their rules of what you can and can’t publish, but with a real book (which is always far better), there is no such restriction.

I could rant for ages about all this stuff, but you get the idea:

Next time you buy a movie, you should support a business other than monopolies like Apple, and treat yourself to a physical copy on Blu-ray.  You’ll feel better about it: you have a physical copy, Apple can’t dictate what you do with it, you can still convert it to the monopoly device of your choice, and you will have supported a business and and it’s workers because you bought it from them instead of Apple or whatever.  Same with Music, next time you buy an album, go into a record shop and enjoy looking at the covers in a physical environment, then buy one instead of channeling all entertainment purchase you make to the same company all the time.

Sorry, was I still ranting? ...

Posted: 07 June 2012 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Just don’t read the comments if you’re one who supports the Apple monopoly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhxtNFac-WY

Meanwhile, those who aren’t so absorbed into the Apple thing, have noticed that Vinyl is making a comeback.
In fact Amazon now boast over 300.000 titles and growing.

Now be honest, how many of you are so absorbed into iTunes that you thought Vinyl was dead?
have you asked yourself, maybe the brainwashing is working on you?

Remember Vinyl anyone?
It’s what gives you that warm, solid, analogue sound which digital cannot compete with.

It’s still here and growing all the time:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vinyl-Albums-Music/b/ref=amb_link_164095247_26?ie=UTF8&node=520022

It’s what the “cool” people have been buying for decades and will continue to buy while the rest channel their money into virtual media they will never own.

Still wanna buy virtual?

Hopefully not, because balking at Windows 8 is nothing compared to what is coming if you keep supporting these devices.

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  556
Joined  2009-04-14
Vaskania - 07 June 2012 12:05 PM
pumeco - 07 June 2012 10:39 AM

> Old machine is a Celeron 2.6 with only 1.2 GB of RAM, 128MB graphics card, and Vista 32-Bit.
> New machine is a Quad-Core 3.4GHz AMD Black, 12GB or RAM, two GTX460 1GB graphics cards, and 64-Bit Windows 7.

Windows 7 is absolute crap compared to Windows Vista and Windows XP, and the new Windows 8 is even worse.  The screen redraw performance on Windows 7 went dramatically downhill, it can’t even redraw a simple text list properly without flickering sometimes.  There is a notable framerate drop ever since Windows 7, and as far as I’m concerned, Microsoft conned me into buying this OS by making out it’s a real performer.

It performs like sh*t

You should not be choking or performing like crap with those specs, unless its the AMD cpu. wink
I’m running an I7-2600K w/ OC throttle enabled, 8GB Corsair Vengeance lowpro, and also have SLI’d 2x GTX 460s (mine are from the EVGA superclocked line) running in W7 64bit and it handles everything I throw at it.. from games to graphics to audio to video. You might have an actual hardware issue going on, or some crapware on your machine that shouldn’t be there.

I’m running Win7 64-bit on a Dell netbook (1.7GHz 2GB RAM) with an AMD processor, and it runs like a dream. Something else is going on.

Posted: 07 June 2012 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15742
Joined  2003-10-09

This seems to be drifting off into broader and wilder areas - let’s keep this on the Windows 8 topic, please.

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 07 June 2012 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

@Richard
Sorry about that, and quite right, I was in rant mode just then!

@ThoseWhoSuspectTheHardware
I should have been a bit more detailed what I meant about the performance.  Yes, Windows 7 does give me more access to the RAM, but that is down to it being 64-Bit, and yes, I do get better performance from this system for most things, but there are also things that are crippled due to Microsoft’s careless decision making.  My browser performance has gone downhill for a start, view Google images and fill the screen with images, then scroll fast.  Using Chrome It sticks like I’m using a crappy under-powered netbook or something, like it’s fighting for memory.

I know for sure it’s not my hardware because I never had these problems when Vista 32-Bit was installed on it.

The screen redraw has definitely gone downhill and it is because of the GDI.  The older 1.0 was superb, the newer 1.1 is absolute crap for the most part because software hasn’t caught up, and neither has even their own OS because redraw performance is totally disgusting in some parts of the OS .  They did tests, and it’s so bad they even discovered that installing Vista graphics drivers on 7 worked better than 7 graphics drivers on 7.  The reason is because both XP and Vista drivers used GDI 1.0.

It’s not that the technology is worse, it’s just that Microsoft are so arrogant they feel it’s fine to force you to use the new system when almost everything we have was designed for the old one.  They haven’t even added an option for us to switch to 1.0 mode until software catches up.  They are arrogant a$$es and need some form of watchdog over them so that they can’t just pull crap like this on people whenever they feel like it.

Also, after noticing my drive-to-drive transfers were notably slower, I found out it is because Microsoft have optimised the disk technology for SSD now, and again, like the arrogant a$$es they are, they have not made it so that it detects standard hard drives to work in that mode instead.  In other words, they’re assuming we can all afford to replace our 1TB drives with SSD, and tough if you cannot afford it.  If you have SSD you’re ok, but if you’re using a standard drive I’m afraid your performance is less than Vista, just like your 2D graphics performance is.  They won’t tell you this, but they’ll happily fob you off with a performance downgrade (which is what Windows 7 is).

Here’s just one of many articles on the web about the redraw performance of 7, they admitted it’s something to do with a trade-off due to a new way of handling memory, and obviously this is something they didn’t want to shout about when they were busy bullsh*tting everyone into believing it was a great performer.  Like I said, I was conned into buying this OS, and so was anyone else who paid money for it.

Windows 7 is a performance crap-heap, and so is Windows 8 for the same reason:
http://www.passmark.com/support/performancetest/2d_windows7_performance.htm

If that official Passmark link doesn’t convince you, simply type Poor 2D Performance in Windows 7 into Google and have fun!

Posted: 08 June 2012 12:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  198
Joined  2003-10-09

I’ve just realised where I’ve seen the Windows 8 start screen before -

It’s a fast food EPOS cash register screen !!

Wow!  blank stare

4 of 4