Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
Tomboy instead of Girly Girl Poses.
Posted: 12 January 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1386
Joined  2006-07-04

It’s a fairly minor issue, since it’s easily possible to use “male” poses with female figures, but occasionally, it still bugs me a bit in the back of my mind that the poses for V5, Julie, Stephanie 5, etc are just .... so girly.  Especially standing and walking poses.  Not all, to be sure, but a sizable majority.  They’re clearly intended to be cute, elegant, feminine, flirtatious, or sexy.  That’s not to say that anything is wrong with those poses.  I also realize that the sizable majority of people doing renders of women that aren’t in combat are doing women who would be standing in a more feminine pose.  And it’s not uncommon for me to do such pictures.  But just as often, I’m doing pictures of a character who is more of a tomboy, and the tomboys I’ve known (myself and my daughter included) don’t stand in girly poses very often, if ever.

As I said, I know I can use male poses with female morphs (or even female figures, in the case of Gen 4 and older),  and I usually do.  But the female pelvis is shaped differently, and women have a (slightly) lower center of gravity than men.  So even in neutral or male poses, a female’s stance is going to be slightly different.  It’s not beyond my abilities to make those adjustments, or adjust a female pose, but it can be tedious, depending on if the rotations are in the hip or the pelvis or the base figure.

I guess what I’m hoping for, with this minor not-quite-rant, is for pose makers to include a few more poses where a woman (or girl) is walking or standing in a manner that doesn’t also emphasize or (worse) exaggerate her femininity, please.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery * * *DA Gallery

Posted: 12 January 2013 09:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10767
Joined  2007-11-06

...I have to agree. 

I often end up using some of the Kid poses to start from then modify them to suit the scene.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 12 January 2013 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13

Well…I think a number of the ‘male’ poses tend to be ‘girly’ too…most guys won’t stand the way lots of these poses are set up…there’s a very real fear that doing so will turn the toast to crumbs.  I think many, especially the Gen5 ones, like the base mesh are more or less ‘gender neutral’.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 12 January 2013 09:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-04
mjc1016 - 12 January 2013 09:49 PM

Well…I think a number of the ‘male’ poses tend to be ‘girly’ too…most guys won’t stand the way lots of these poses are set up…there’s a very real fear that doing so will turn the toast to crumbs.  I think many, especially the Gen5 ones, like the base mesh are more or less ‘gender neutral’.

Hmm.  Except for the Hiro poses, and some of the early pre-M5 sets, I haven’t noticed that as much.  That may be because the majority of the male poses I purchase are done by merchants that I know are male, so would presumably be aware of issues like that.  smile

Signature 

Posted: 12 January 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

I haven’t bought or looked at any males, in a while…but it’s mostly the M5 ones I was thinking about.  And as far as Hiro goes, I never really liked that many poses for him, since way back…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 13 January 2013 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4127
Joined  2011-11-25

I would love more ‘gender neutral’ genesis poses, or everyday life poses suitable for genesis of either gender or age. I agree 100% that some pose sets can be a bit overly flirty, thus negating it for renders where you are not looking for that look.

For me, a pose set is more versatile if both genders and in between can use it.

My particular pose peeve is facial expressions. Most sets seem designed with female characters in mind.

Posted: 13 January 2013 12:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...save for the original Sadie Faces and SadieXpression Magic (because there ere few if any facial morphs for the original sweet little toon girl) , I rarely any use facial pose sets.

Probably the only other pose sets I know of that aren’t so “girly girly” are the Sensational She Freak ones for SF4 and MarvelUS ones.  Not sure how they work with say the Teens5 though because of the default foot position the Gen4 figures have.

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-06

...double post due to stupid network resets (again).

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2013 02:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4878
Joined  2009-02-26

Males need “Male Designed” Expressions badly. I agree with Serene there. In my mind, they mostly seem based or focused on female expressions. I also agree that the female pose sets are exaggerated feminism. (I’d say that has something to do with the market tending to focus on “Sexy” and Idealism)

I really do dislike the injector approach to expressions. We have sliders for a reason, I rarely use any expression or even morph for that matter at 100%... I always mix and match… The use of Expressions require the ability to be able to tone it down, that’s why Sliders are Ideal.

- I am also a little disappointed when I buy an expression or morph pack that uses morphs like evolution and morphs++ etc. It’s not that they don’t do an excellent job many look fantastic!, but it’s kinda like ‘I could have done that myself’. I like to buy brand new morphs and expressions that have been modeled not using existing morphs to do it. You end up with the same shapes you originally had in the first place.

Just my opinion, No offense intended. smile

Signature 

- SpyroRue’s Deviant Art -

Posted: 13 January 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  997
Joined  2012-01-29

I would also welcome female poses that look normal, as I already have tons of cute, ellegant or sexy etc. poses, which are sadly unsuitable for some renders. Finding one or two poses in the pose sets available, that are useable for non-cute, non-sexy, non-overly-feminine renders is a major pain. Also, more stuff for males would be nice, but content makers seem to rather ignore guys, or maybe they go with “it is Genesis, so a pose can be used on every figure”.

Posted: 13 January 2013 02:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Proxima Shining - 13 January 2013 02:09 PM

but content makers seem to rather ignore guys, or maybe they go with “it is Genesis, so a pose can be used on every figure”.

What I want to know is why, and this goes for Gen4, too…I have an easier time finding male poses I like/think I can use among the various freebie offerings than from the pose packs in the store?

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 13 January 2013 02:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2792
Joined  2004-04-14

Male stuff does not sell well.  It never has compared to the stuff for girls.

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 13 January 2013 04:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4801
Joined  2008-03-06
Mattymanx - 13 January 2013 02:53 PM

I think it’s worse for poses than some other items, though.  I make a decent living for a single person in my area on mostly male-to-unisex clothes. 

Fuseling and I have a “guy eating pastries” pose set for M5 coming up at Rendo.  How it does will determine whether we do future poses and whether they are for males or females.

Meanwhile, may I recommend Structure’s excellent freebies at Rendo?  He has some great aggressive/neutral female poses as well as for males.  He’s done about every type of pose for both sexes.  When you see how much he’s done it’s worth getting Posemaster and the People Packs just to be able to convert it all and never buy another “Help, I’m stuck swayhipped on tiptoe” female pose set again. 

I am a hard sell on paying for poses when so many are free.  But of the more feminine pose sets I’ve seen, Mattymanx’s were among the best, and I’ve bought some of them.  I also really like the Subtle Poses sets by Elele.  Some of the female versions are overly girly for me, some are perfect; but I use the M5 ones ALL the time as a basis for promo poses.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 13 January 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4127
Joined  2011-11-25

I am in the minority, but I tend to portray a few different characters and most of ‘em are guys with the occasional lady character.  So I like more male outfits and pose sets. I occasionally succumb and buy a Gen 4 male outfit for autofit, but I’ve stopped buying gen 4 men altogether. I really only want m5/genesis compatible stuff now.

I think there is a market for guy stuff, but, it needs to be well done guy stuff. For example bad guy for genesis is a very useful and versatile set. I’ve used that quite a bit. Some other clothing I do not care for, since it’s genre is mixed, the pants are rubbery, there are no buckles, pockets, beltbuckles or the pants look like tights. I only need so many outfits like that.

So I guess for me, just because its ‘made for men’ doesn’t really mean, It’s going to sell, and I can see that. To me, it also has to have some detail, and appeal and be something that looks good in a render. Many of the outfits of M4, for example outstrip some of the stuff being sold for Gen 5 guys in detail and versatility. I’m not clear why that is, but to me, outfits for male genesis aren’t as detailed.

I tend to not bother with free poses, unles it is clear they are available for commercial use. Sometimes the terms of use of free poses are difficult to find, or unclear.

Posted: 13 January 2013 05:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15315
Joined  2003-10-09

I have to admit I never quite see the Male stuff doesn’t sell bit. Up until recently I grabbed virtually every Male outfit that came out, just because it was something for my men, and even if I didn’t use it straight out of the box, I could maybe use it for kit bashing.

Things have only changed because I am one who does still use gen 4. There are more than a few outfits that have come out recently that would have jumped into my cart quicker than that if they had been for M4.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 13 January 2013 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-07-04
SickleYield - 13 January 2013 04:45 PM
Mattymanx - 13 January 2013 02:53 PM

I think it’s worse for poses than some other items, though.  I make a decent living for a single person in my area on mostly male-to-unisex clothes. 

Fuseling and I have a “guy eating pastries” pose set for M5 coming up at Rendo.  How it does will determine whether we do future poses and whether they are for males or females.

Meanwhile, may I recommend Structure’s excellent freebies at Rendo?  He has some great aggressive/neutral female poses as well as for males.  He’s done about every type of pose for both sexes.  When you see how much he’s done it’s worth getting Posemaster and the People Packs just to be able to convert it all and never buy another “Help, I’m stuck swayhipped on tiptoe” female pose set again. 

I am a hard sell on paying for poses when so many are free.  But of the more feminine pose sets I’ve seen, Mattymanx’s were among the best, and I’ve bought some of them.  I also really like the Subtle Poses sets by Elele.  Some of the female versions are overly girly for me, some are perfect; but I use the M5 ones ALL the time as a basis for promo poses.

I have most (possibly all) of Structures free poses from ShareCG.  I just don’t have them organized and tend to forget about them, because I don’t have Posemaster (yet), so I go through the Genesis poses first before trying to find one that works in the Gen 4 (or even gen 3) poses.

I have Elele’s subtle poses for M5, and couples.  I wasn’t able to pick up the V5 set, though it’s on my list.  The M5 subtle poses tend to be my “Goto” guy poses, too.

Mattymanx’s poses are on my wish list too.  I’m less resistant to buying poses than a lot of people, but they do tend to be low on my list as a whole.  Though your “Guy eating pastry” poses will certainly be on said list.  (I can’t promise more than that, since I’ve tightened my virtual belt until after March Madness)

The perpetual guystuff not selling well is an issue, of course.  And I’m sure that the sort of poses I’m looking for wouldn’t sell much better as it’s own set (though I’d be thrilled if a merchant would give it a try.)  So I’m just hoping for maybe 4-6 “non-girly” poses in a given set, as compared to the current 0-3 in most of them.  (not including mirrors)

Signature 

1 of 4