Digital Art Zone

2 of 18
Second Annual Kit Bashing Contest WINNERS ANNOUNCED
Posted: 13 January 2013 12:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-09-16
Zawarkal - 12 January 2013 11:26 PM

Does this require using puchased products or can we use freebie shaders?

You can use any shaders - commercial, freebie or roll-your-own.

Posted: 13 January 2013 02:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  851
Joined  2010-05-08
Marieah - 13 January 2013 12:34 AM
Zawarkal - 12 January 2013 11:26 PM

Does this require using puchased products or can we use freebie shaders?

You can use any shaders - commercial, freebie or roll-your-own.

great, I’m going to try to get into this challenge

Signature 

IF is the Life of Matter ~ UTO

Posted: 13 January 2013 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2012-02-07

To kick things off I’m going to post two NAE’s.  One was my entry from last year while the other was a render I did shortly after last year’s contest ended.  I have an idea of what I want to do this year, just need to find time to work on it.

Image Attachments
Armor_Girl_PUNCH.jpgCombat_Medic.jpg
 Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 13 January 2013 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1528
Joined  2003-10-09

PROP PIMP KIT BASH CONTEST RULES
1. You must use parts from at least two different building sets and use shaders to retexture at least the main surfaces (external walls and roofs)

For the Prop kit bash contest, do the building set parts have to be used to create a building, or am I also allowed to use building set parts to modify a vehicle structure?

Do I have to use ALL the parts from each building set, or is it ok to use only some of the parts?  For example, using just the corner tower from set 1, just a wall segment from set 2, a roof piece from set 3, etc.

Posted: 13 January 2013 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2006-08-24

For clothing renders,do hats and footwear count?

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2013 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
Sean Riesch - 13 January 2013 10:33 AM

1. You must use parts from at least two different building sets and use shaders to retexture at least the main surfaces (external walls and roofs)

For the Prop kit bash contest, do the building set parts have to be used to create a building, or am I also allowed to use building set parts to modify a vehicle structure?

Do I have to use ALL the parts from each building set, or is it ok to use only some of the parts?  For example, using just the corner tower from set 1, just a wall segment from set 2, a roof piece from set 3, etc.

You only need to use some of the parts. That’s what I meant in using the word “parts”.  Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Posted: 13 January 2013 03:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
WhiteMyst - 13 January 2013 12:07 PM

Yes they do.  But kit bashing three outfits together using just dress, shoes and hat would probably not impress any contest judges who might be seeking something more inventive.

Posted: 13 January 2013 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1528
Joined  2003-10-09
Marieah - 13 January 2013 03:20 PM

You only need to use some of the parts. That’s what I meant in using the word “parts”.  Sorry if that wasn’t clear.

Got it, thanks!

I have one more question to add to the stack while waiting for your answer to the vehicles part of the previous question:
We are supposed to list which shaders we used.  If I’m using Bryce, and have either created or modified an existing shader, I don’t have a name for it.  should I just say “customized” and leave at that, or do I need to do anything more specific?

Posted: 13 January 2013 04:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
Sean Riesch - 13 January 2013 03:36 PM
Marieah - 13 January 2013 03:20 PM

Got it, thanks!

I have one more question to add to the stack while waiting for your answer to the vehicles part of the previous question:
We are supposed to list which shaders we used.  If I’m using Bryce, and have either created or modified an existing shader, I don’t have a name for it.  should I just say “customized” and leave at that, or do I need to do anything more specific?

The vehicle is fine. Very creative.

Customized x(description) shader will work.

Posted: 13 January 2013 06:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  197
Joined  2006-08-24
Marieah - 13 January 2013 03:25 PM

Yes they do.  But kit bashing three outfits together using just dress, shoes and hat would probably not impress any contest judges who might be seeking something more inventive.

I guess I should have asked if accessories count, footwear, headwear, sashes, capes, stuff like that.  I’m trying to be more creative this time, if I can’t do better then my last one I won’t be entering. lol

Signature 

Posted: 13 January 2013 07:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
WhiteMyst - 13 January 2013 06:18 PM
Marieah - 13 January 2013 03:25 PM

I guess I should have asked if accessories count, footwear, headwear, sashes, capes, stuff like that.  I’m trying to be more creative this time, if I can’t do better then my last one I won’t be entering. lol

All those things are part of an outfit, so they count.  I would view things that are carried such as bags and swords as accessories that don’t count because they are carried not worn.

Posted: 14 January 2013 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2012-02-07
Marieah - 12 January 2013 06:46 PM

Canary3d has done a tutorial on how to change mat zones on the fly in DS and Poser, and I’m sure she’ll post a link to it when she drops in. It is also included in my Pimp My Prop product.

Went ahead and copied that link: http://docs.daz3d.com/lib/exe/fetch.php/public/read_me/index/15625/15625_pimpmypropcanary3d.pdf

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 14 January 2013 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1816
Joined  2005-06-08
Marieah - 12 January 2013 12:23 AM

Feel free to post Kit Bashing examples here as inspiration for others . . .

Not an entry because this is from last year, but every piece of cloth shown is using a shader:  from Ye Olde Clothe Bundle Weavy Bands Rose & Horizontal Rose, from MachPack the black denim.  Shaders applied to the Tavern Keeper shirt and belt, the Delivery Driver fG pants, the tops of the HomeslipperZZ fG, and the band of Afro Magic 1 Hair.

DS4.5Pro render, postwork in GIMPLarger version in my deviantART gallery here.

Hard Light

Image Attachments
hard_light_by_kickair8p-d4vjbtx.jpg
 Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 14 January 2013 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3236
Joined  2007-06-22

An entry please let me know if it doesn’t meet the requirements, thanks.

Harlequin figure is wearing;
M4 body suit
Sleeves from the Echo set by prae availble Rendo
Shoes are the Elfies by Badkittenco
The Hat is from the free pirate outfit by Pretty 3D.
The feathers in the hat are from a set called Bird of Paradise which is no longer availble.
The belt is from the Journey scout set.

Pierrot figure is wearing;
Top from the Echo outfit
Trousers from the Way of the Samuri
Shoes from the Noddy clothing,
Cuffs from the Just Joking set
Collar is also from the Echo set
The Buttons are just spheres placed and parented.
The hat is the free Boy Hair

Shaders used
Furify
Ubersurface2 my own presets.
Mariah’s Lace shader availble with the supersuit.
Calida’s Velvet Shader

Image Attachments
Kitbash-1.jpg

Posted: 14 January 2013 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2282
Joined  2012-02-04

@scorpio64dragon - That is a beautiful render! The pieces fit together very well after you applied the shaders to them.

2 of 18