Just got Hexagon. New PC coming Monday and I will be starting the tutorials then. Before I start I would like to have an idea of the basic steps in making a model. Just a simple 1,2,3 not the details. I know I will be back with more questions after I start using it.
There are two ways you can model.
1. Low poly and then apply 1 or 2 levels of smoothing. This is known as subdivision modelling. You need to keep your low poly cage all quads (4 sided polygons) for this to work effectively.
2. Normal Poly modelling
To model something you would normally follow these steps.
1. Set up background reference images (usually top, front and side views of what you wish to model). These images are usually jpgs or pngs.
2. Draw lines or curves that define the shape of your object
3. Extrude lines to create surfaces and tweak the vertices to the desired shape or use hex surfacing tools to create polygon surfaces from 2 or more lines.
4. Uv map polygon model
5. Apply textures to model using a paint program such as photoshop or gimp.
A lot to learn best of luck
PS If your modelling animals it is probably best to do low poly modelling with 2 levels of smoothing. A bit of googling will show you the polygon flow other people have done to model animal.