Digital Art Zone

1 of 4
The 3Delight Stand Alone Render Engine Thread (BATCH RENDERING DISCOVERED!)
Posted: 10 January 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

WHY?  Why would you want to render using the 3Delight Stand Alone?

BECAUSE, you can render while working on your next scene.  On my i5, 3Delight takes up a little less than 50% of the CPU resources, which allows me to do stuff like play with Naked Genesis babes, model clothing for my naked Genesis babes, or generally goof off.

You can also BATCH RENDER!

You may download the 3Delight Stand Alone render engine free here:
http://www.3delight.com/en/index.php?page=3DSP_download

How to render in 3Delight.

Set up your scene in DAZ Studio.  Place your camera and look through your camera in the Render Tab.  Good to have your aspect ratio on, and don’t forget to set the dimensions of your final render.

In the Render Tab, go to your advanced settings and scroll down to the bottom

Check Render to Rib
Select a file path (the next line down) and create a file name.  You should put all your ribs in that path, so you should probably create a special folder for them.

Make sure Collect and Localize is selected, this will create a sub folder that collects all the necessary shaders for the rib file you have created.  Keep Shadows is optional.

Hit the RENDER Button.

Call up your COMMAND PROMPT in Windows (Mac Users, you’ll have to figure this out, or someone should post with how to do this…

The Command prompt can usually be found in Windows Accessories.

The command to change folders is “cd”

“cd..” will go up one folder, cd (foldername) will select a sub folder.  You can go down multiple folders. “cd c:\foldername1\foldername2\foldername3”  for instance, folder names MUST be separated by a BACK slash.

Use the command prompt to get you to the folder where your RIB file is located.

Type: “renderdl filename.rib”

The file will render, and create a TIF image file in the same folder as your RIB file with the same name over the TIF extension.

If you type: “renderdl -id filename.rib” i-display will show the render in progress as 3Delight is rendering.

if you want to BATCH RENDER, you will need to use i-display, which installs with 3Delight
type “renderdl -id filename1.rib filename2.rib filename3.rib”

Save the individual images from i-display

All the rib files must be in the same folder for batch rendering to work.

I intend to play a lot with this and will add to this thread as I come across more stuff.  As soon as I have examples of the difference between a 3Delight Render and a DS3Delight Render, I will post those.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 10 January 2013 02:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
wancow - 10 January 2013 02:17 PM

I intend to play a lot with this and will add to this thread as I come across more stuff.  As soon as I have examples of the difference between a 3Delight Render and a DS3Delight Render, I will post those.

There won’t be one…unless you get a shader that won’t recompile.

BTW, what is the version number of the standalone?

Because that’s the other way to find a difference…if the standalone is of a lower version number than the one in DS…then any bugs fixed will still be there. 

I’ve done quite a bit of rendering with the standalone and haven’t found any differences, yet, other than what I said above…Kendall has done much more…and so have some others.

Just looked…the SA is still at 10.0.50…so it’s still got the raytracing and arealight bugs…

There was just another update, today, for the paid version…it’s at 10.0.99…so hopefully there will be an update to the free version, when they bump up to 10.1.0…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

version is 10.0.50

There is no difference save one.  3DL stand alone will not recognize that I have a black background, so the alpha channel is white in the TIF it creates.  Other than that, no difference, and it is a tad faster.

Top is 3DL Stand Alone, bottom is 3DL in Daz Studio.

Image Attachments
samribtest3DL.jpgsamribtestDS.jpg
 Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  770
Joined  2012-09-24

BECAUSE, you can render while working on your next scene.  On my i5, 3Delight takes up a little less than 50% of the CPU resources, which allows me to do stuff like play with Naked Genesis babes, model clothing for my naked Genesis babes, or generally goof off.

I have an 8 core I7 processor and rendering gets all 8 cores running at 100% CPU.

I have 16 GB RAM and DAZ is seldom using more than 6-8 GB of memory when rendering even my big scenes. I have free RAM to run more applications, but my experience is the machine has slow response while it is rendering so I avoid trying to use it. I imagine the DAZ editor would be so slow as to be unusable.

This would be very useful.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Sequential Batch Rendering.

I have a problem.  I created two rib files with just a cube to test batch rendering.

The command, as it says in the manual was: “renderdl cubetest.rib cubetest2.rib”

Unfortunately, the first tif was called render.tif and the second tif was called render.tif, so the first was overwritten.

I’m trying to flip through the manual to figure out how to avoid this, but if anyone has a notion…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
mark - 10 January 2013 03:30 PM

I have an 8 core I7 processor and rendering gets all 8 cores running at 100% CPU.

I have 16 GB RAM and DAZ is seldom using more than 6-8 GB of memory when rendering even my big scenes. I have free RAM to run more applications, but my experience is the machine has slow response while it is rendering so I avoid trying to use it. I imagine the DAZ editor would be so slow as to be unusable.

Interesting… I was able to call up Genesis into an empty scene wile I was rendering the above image!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
mark - 10 January 2013 03:30 PM

Not an issue with the stand alone…as it is core locked to 2 cores (real or ‘logical’) you’ll still have ‘six’ cores available…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Interesting… so basically the core lock becomes a feature if you need the other two to do other stuff… smile

Sweet!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-24
mjc1016 - 10 January 2013 03:44 PM

Not an issue with the stand alone…as it is core locked to 2 cores (real or ‘logical’) you’ll still have ‘six’ cores available…

Won’t that make the renders take much longer?

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 10 January 2013 03:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I clocked the renders as slightly faster.  The two above were rendered without lights.  The DS render took about 90 seconds, the other just over 80.

So far as I’m concerned, the only thing left to figure out is the whole batch rendering filename problem…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-09-24
wancow - 10 January 2013 03:54 PM

I clocked the renders as slightly faster.  The two above were rendered without lights.  The DS render took about 90 seconds, the other just over 80.

So far as I’m concerned, the only thing left to figure out is the whole batch rendering filename problem…

The scenes where I might want to use batch render take any where from 30 min to 6 hours to render on my current machine. They have complicated lighting and multiple characters. Render time mostly depends on how much high polygon count hair is in the image. The V5 elite ponytail can really slow down a render.  It would seem to me that restricting a big render to only two cores on an 8 core processor is going to make the render take 4 times longer.

Signature 

DAZ Gallery

Renderosity Gallery

Deviant Art Gallery

My Art Studio Thread

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

You might try a test before anything…

But I figured out a way to get things batch rendered.

You use i-display, which will have all the renders in memory.

the syntax is: renderdl -id file1.rib file2.rib file3.rib (etc)

I just tried it, it works smile

Then you save the images from i-display

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I do have one question: what is the purpose of Point Cloud Viewer?  It won’t open a rib file, so what does it do?

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
wancow - 10 January 2013 05:13 PM

I do have one question: what is the purpose of Point Cloud Viewer?  It won’t open a rib file, so what does it do?

It allows you to view a ptc file (point cloud file).

In DS, there’s a Point based Occlusion script under the Scritped Render setting…it generates a pointcloud.  Well the ptcview will display that file.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 12 January 2013 05:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  820
Joined  2007-01-08
mjc1016 - 10 January 2013 02:30 PM

Fresnel doesn’t seem to work the same. I’ve reported that to DAZ but not sure if it has been fixed.

Posted: 12 January 2013 07:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
ReDave - 12 January 2013 05:57 AM
mjc1016 - 10 January 2013 02:30 PM

Fresnel doesn’t seem to work the same. I’ve reported that to DAZ but not sure if it has been fixed.

Well…sort of…

The DS Fresnel doesn’t seem to be the same as the ‘official’ one…but, if you import a regular 3Delight Fresnel shader into DS, then it works the same.  At least that’s what I found with the glass shader I’ve been toying with….haven’t checked the last couple of updates, though.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

1 of 4