Joined  2006-02-27
this looks interesting and fun

Posted: 11 January 2013 07:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1815
Joined  2005-06-08
KickAir 8P - 11 January 2013 09:05 AM
For anybody still wondering "Why a stand instead of a bigger (and therefor more versatile) backdrop?" here are links to some renders where I used stands as stands. Only the first two are AntFarm's, but they all pretty much get the point across.

Tails Entwined

Detail, Thoroughly Modern Mage

Four Arms = Bigger Hugs

Minotaur -- NOT Before Coffee!

IronBear and Pony-Hulk -- Defiant

Whoops, one more! Posting it here since I never put it up on deviantART . . . gee, I wonder why not? tongue laugh
Image Attachments
PCI20120505x-03a-g02.png
 Signature 

~

Hat-wearing member of the Bald Wizards Club

Eyebrow-Free Face Textures — A List

Posted: 11 January 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1898
Joined  2005-04-15
Just caught this thread (been at CES and a bit distracted) and I really love this idea. Personally I like the idea of keeping these things simple, along the lines of the old Aurora plastic model kits... especially if it keeps the price down. That said, I think you could solve a lot of the demands for something more elaborate by including a simple background in the form of either a stand-alone planar or a texture for the Daz cyc. For this particular scene, for example, including a repeating pattern of the same brickwork to be used above or to the side would let those who want to do a wider, fuller scene have that without getting too involved.

With that said, however, as a fan of the old Aurora Horror and Prehistoric Scenes kits, what I'd really love to see would be a series of interconnecting pieces that could be placed side by side to form larger bases. For this particular piece, for example, I can see a number of other stands building on the same textures. IE: adding a sideways block of rows of windows and wall above this set-piece gives a place for certain spider and Bat based heroes to scale and windows for plucky but unlucky female reporters to plummet past. Above that would be stand 3: the classic ledge with gargoyle for the dark and moody hero or lethal female vampire to slink against, and then above that would be stand 4: the building top and spire for flying heroes to fly past on their way to rescue the afore-mentioned plummeting reporter, as well as the perfect place for the DAZ Gorilla to swat off a squadron of DAZ biplanes. Stick them together (and repeat stand 2 as often as necessary for height) and you have a great combined environment for a larger team of heroes to be posed as a group, but for the solo shots you could be as minimalist as you wish.
 Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 11 January 2013 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  216
Joined  0
Cybersox13 - 11 January 2013 10:03 PM
Just caught this thread (been at CES and a bit distracted) and I really love this idea. Personally I like the idea of keeping these things simple, along the lines of the old Aurora plastic model kits... especially if it keeps the price down. That said, I think you could solve a lot of the demands for something more elaborate by including a simple background in the form of either a stand-alone planar or a texture for the Daz cyc. For this particular scene, for example, including a repeating pattern of the same brickwork to be used above or to the side would let those who want to do a wider, fuller scene have that without getting too involved.

With that said, however, as a fan of the old Aurora Horror and Prehistoric Scenes kits, what I'd really love to see would be a series of interconnecting pieces that could be placed side by side to form larger bases. For this particular piece, for example, I can see a number of other stands building on the same textures. IE: adding a sideways block of rows of windows and wall above this set-piece gives a place for certain spider and Bat based heroes to scale and windows for plucky but unlucky female reporters to plummet past. Above that would be stand 3: the classic ledge with gargoyle for the dark and moody hero or lethal female vampire to slink against, and then above that would be stand 4: the building top and spire for flying heroes to fly past on their way to rescue the afore-mentioned plummeting reporter, as well as the perfect place for the DAZ Gorilla to swat off a squadron of DAZ biplanes. Stick them together (and repeat stand 2 as often as necessary for height) and you have a great combined environment for a larger team of heroes to be posed as a group, but for the solo shots you could be as minimalist as you wish.

Oh, I like your ideas! Man, I used to put together those prehistoric kits also. Loved 'em!

Posted: 11 January 2013 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  830
Joined  2004-09-04
Neat Idea. I love those models too. The Never Was series is like that tiles that all line up. The next one I want to do is a square of pavement with props that will spin around the figure in a power whirl wind. I can make it as deep as the current stand/Set and the same height that way the ground plain could do double duty. Place a single wall in the set, a brick one that could be loaded to your choice of sides. It could also double as your second story wall.
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/the-antfarm

Posted: 11 January 2013 11:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-15
The AntFarm - 11 January 2013 11:01 PM
Neat Idea. I love those models too. The Never Was series is like that tiles that all line up. The next one I want to do is a square of pavement with props that will spin around the figure in a power whirl wind. I can make it as deep as the current stand/Set and the same height that way the ground plain could do double duty. Place a single wall in the set, a brick one that could be loaded to your choice of sides. It could also double as your second story wall.

That sounds awesome! And if I might suggest, if you make an open manhole cover in the ground plane somewhere... or as a third stand base... it leaves things nicely open for a sewer entry for sludge monsters or some recent Xmas freebies by Joe Quick to crawl out of.
 Signature 

“And on the subject of bundles, exactly WHY does the M5 Pro Suite have a V5 DRESS and the Troll in it? Exactly what kind of “pro” IS M5?  Apparently one who likes to dress up in drag and go cruising down in the red light district of lower Middle Earth.”

Posted: 11 January 2013 11:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2007-04-05
Great....SOLD

The addition of the side walls are perfect.

This really opens the door to a whole bunch of mini scenes, awesome work.

WINDOW Scene with Fire Escape and Side Walls.
CAVE with Rock Ledge and Crystals.
ROOF Scene with Sun Windows....you always see heroes fall through those things.
WALL SAFE need one for the criminals too.

Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 12 January 2013 03:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2824
Joined  2009-02-24
Considering how it went from one stand to two extra walls, you must have put those extra textures together pretty fast. What I wouldn't do to pry those secrets from you! I can model just fine, but texturing will forever be the realm of greater men than I.

It was looking good from the start, but thanks to feature creep, it's now looking more like a mini set! It can't be easy meeting the demands of the consumer while staying true to your original goal. I'll be looking forward to its release.
 Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 12 January 2013 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  911
Joined  2012-02-03
This looks really cool. I'm always willing to grab things that can be used for superhero renders.

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-04
So this set bumps up tight to the other if you want and gives more width. The back wall is movable removable. and there are a bunch of props that can be mixed and match with other sets or whatever. There's not a sewer but enough of a whole to make it believable.
Image Attachments
6A.jpg6.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2013 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2082
Joined  2003-10-09
freaking Awesome!!!!!! i so can't wait to play with this

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  272
Joined  2007-04-05
LycanthropeX - 15 January 2013 12:43 AM
freaking Awesome!!!!!! i so can't wait to play with this

+1
 Signature 

http://laticis.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-04-15
The AntFarm - 15 January 2013 12:33 AM
So this set bumps up tight to the other if you want and gives more width. The back wall is movable removable. and there are a bunch of props that can be mixed and match with other sets or whatever. There's not a sewer but enough of a whole to make it believable.

Wow. Very nice! Any idea when will these hit the store? (Or when you'll be running another store sale?)

Oh, and as for the manhole - thank you! And as long as there's a separate material zone at the bottom that can be rendered transparent, that's more than enough to allow hooking it up to my half dozen or so existing sewer sets.
 Signature 

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2179
Joined  2003-10-09
awesome!
Love it Antfarm!
 Signature 

A step away from the ordinary
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/rawart/

Posted: 16 January 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-09-04
So I made the sewer line go all the way through the base so anything you want can be down the drain. Here's an image.
Image Attachments
HSPUMain.jpg
 Signature 

3 of 6