Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
WiFi Network Adapter troubles… anyone have experience with this?
Posted: 11 January 2013 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2673
Joined  2011-12-10

LeatherGryphon, thanks for all that info.  I’m using the public library wifi for the most part.  I had no idea those little wifi adapters existed!!!  And they are cheap!  Soon as I have some money, I’ll get me one!

Excellent, thank you very much!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 11 January 2013 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4524
Joined  2007-09-13
LeatherGryphon - 11 January 2013 06:45 AM
mjc1016 - 10 January 2013 12:22 PM

Built in…right?

Have you tried the latest drivers (motherboard and network)?  From laptop manufacturer or Intel directly?  (I hope not Windows Update…NEVER let WU install driver updates…EVER!)

A bit sure of yourself aren’t you?  Absolutes don’t always apply.

Yes, I’ve had a few issues with new drivers, mostly video drivers, but for the most part I let Windows do the driver updates until I suspect a problem.  I can’t say I’ve run across any driver other than a video that didn’t work as advertised.  NEVER say NEVER. :-Q

As for WU and drivers…9 times out of 10 they are at least 1 version back from the latest…and in some cases that means don’t have the particular fix you need, so you still have to go to the manufacturer and download/install another set.  Then that 1 out of 10…they are a problem, in and of themselves…

And as for the opening laptops…yeah….it’s easier to replace a network adapter with an external, than it is to replace the internal one.  That internal is probably salvageable…but would require a ‘reflow’.  The described problem is often the symptom of a bad solder joint…and tends to develop after a few months to year of being used…it’s the heat inside the laptop that causes the joint to pull apart.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 11 January 2013 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
mjc1016 - 11 January 2013 11:08 AM

And as for the opening laptops…yeah….it’s easier to replace a network adapter with an external, than it is to replace the internal one.  That internal is probably salvageable…but would require a ‘reflow’.  The described problem is often the symptom of a bad solder joint…and tends to develop after a few months to year of being used…it’s the heat inside the laptop that causes the joint to pull apart.

That’s pretty consistent with my circumstances.  This computer is not quite a year old, and the issues started about three months ago… I think the best solution will probably to get one of those little plugin adapters… you guys have been fantastic at tracking this problem down.  Thanks to all of you!

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 11 January 2013 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-02-27

check your drivers, firmware, and network settings

if all else fail you can get a pci or pci one for cheap

Posted: 11 January 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
JohnDelaquiox - 11 January 2013 12:49 PM

check your drivers, firmware, and network settings

if all else fail you can get a pci or pci one for cheap

It’s a laptop…needs to be a USB one, as that’s what most newer laptops have available for expansion.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 11 January 2013 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1010
Joined  2006-02-27

Yeah a usb one works too

Also check to make sure that the wifi service is on in the services

Posted: 11 January 2013 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  862
Joined  2003-10-09
wancow - 11 January 2013 11:36 AM

... you guys have been fantastic at tracking this problem down.  Thanks to all of you!

Glad we could help.

I manage the computers for a small insurance/finance office (5 computers) and have gone wireless.  Latest new computer in the office needed a new wireless USB device (old one wasn’t compatible with Win7) so I tried one of the “D-Link DWA-131” adapters.  Not a true micro (1/4 inch) but not much bigger than a dime (1/2 inch).  Call it a “mini”.  Works great.

I have no words of wisdom about how well a micro/mini would work when you’re near the end of the transmit range but when reasonably close (20 or 30 feet) it works very nicely.

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…  But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 12 January 2013 03:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  82
Joined  2004-01-31

If it’s under a year old you’ve always got the manufacturer tech support that usually comes with these things.

As for replacing internal wi-fi cards they are actually generally quite easy (depending on the laptop model or course) as you’ll generally find them under one of the panels on the bottom of a laptop (the below photo is my laptops wi-fi card) and it is generally as simple as whipping off the panel, unplug the antenna (the gold connectors), unscrew it and remove, then just plug in a new one (the attached photo is the one in my laptop). That’s assuming of course it’s a hardware issue (something which a Linux Live CD would prove/disprove, Mint distro is usually quite good).

Alternatively you’ve also got the option of an expresscard wi-fi adapter (a few options to save on the limited quantity of USB ports a laptop usually have).

Image Attachments
IMG_2115.JPG

Posted: 12 January 2013 04:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13
Alpha Channel - 12 January 2013 03:46 AM

If it’s under a year old you’ve always got the manufacturer tech support that usually comes with these things.

As for replacing internal wi-fi cards they are actually generally quite easy (depending on the laptop model or course) as you’ll generally find them under one of the panels on the bottom of a laptop (the below photo is my laptops wi-fi card) and it is generally as simple as whipping off the panel, unplug the antenna (the gold connectors), unscrew it and remove, then just plug in a new one (the attached photo is the one in my laptop). That’s assuming of course it’s a hardware issue (something which a Linux Live CD would prove/disprove, Mint distro is usually quite good).

Alternatively you’ve also got the option of an expresscard wi-fi adapter (a few options to save on the limited quantity of USB ports a laptop usually have).

I’ve seen too many that stuff them under the keyboard or in some other harder to get to spot…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 12 January 2013 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-01-31

Then I’ll say that I’m quite lucky grin  every laptop I’ve worked on have all had them in quite reasonably easy to access ports like mine.

Posted: 12 January 2013 09:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9726
Joined  2007-11-06

Yes, most laptops I’ve worked on have the wifi card next to the RAM and accessed by the same cover.  The antenna wires usually run under the keyboard, but the card itself is easy to replace.

Signature 

PostgreSQL CMS FAQ
Tutorial: Adding Surfaces in DS
Product Updates: Non-Genesis/G2 DIM Zips
Non-Genesis Items with Metadata
Updated Genesis Products

Posted: 12 January 2013 12:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-09-13

Most of the Dell’s and IBM/Lenovo’s I’ve worked on have had them accessible.  HP/Compaq and Toshibas…not (my wife’s almost 1 yr old Toshiba, its under the keyboard.  Not seen enough Acer and Asus ones apart to know for sure.  Sony…who knows and Macs…can you actually even open the memory without taking it to an Apple store?

Also are they ‘consumer’ level (probably not accessible), business level (likely to be) or ‘gaming’/high end/custom (yes, definitely accessible)...most of what I deal with are ‘consumer’ level models.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Posted: 12 January 2013 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-01-31

Apple? not the latest ones, you can’t do anything with them, they glue the RAM in so it can’t be upgraded and they’ve added a firmware tweak with the machines so that if you buy any off the shelf hard drive all of the machines fans go ape and spin up to max revs, making sure that you have to go through Apple to get an upgrade/replacement (last I heard).

I’ve worked on a few Toshiba’s though the worst issues I’ve had with them is almost universally software based (bar one incident where the owners cat had pulled off a key, space bar if I remember correctly), solid machines.

Posted: 12 January 2013 01:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I had two Toshibas before I got this ASUS… I loved my Toshibas!  They never, ever gave me problems.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 12 January 2013 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7995
Joined  2006-03-19

We got my youngest son a Toshiba and we haven’t had a single problem with it. I have a Sony that I also have never had a problem with.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Ravenwood Cemetery*****  

2 of 3