Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-04-05
Kendall Sears - 27 April 2013 07:33 AM

This is probably the source of your problem.  Create the following folders:

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/Maps

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/Presets

Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio/lookatmyhairAM/geometry

The “maps” folder is the main necessary one as that is where the density maps and such are stored for rendering.

Kendall

Ok, I have done as you suggested and created the folders. In the zip for Female Parted Hair there is only a file called ‘Genesis - parted hair female.lmh’ which I put in the presets folder. I still get the same render error but this time I got a logfile which I will forward to you at the email address you kindly provided.

Signature 

My DevArt Gallery

Posted: 27 April 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 572 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  246
Joined  2006-04-05
Heatherlee - 27 April 2013 09:30 AM

I’m getting the same hair errors, tried putting the folders in as suggested and still not able to get it to render properly, any other suggestion?
I am not getting the small error box though, it just renders the pic with skimpy hair.

Hi HeatherLee,

Kendal is attempting to help me via email. I think we have narrowed the problem down but no solution as yet. Will post if there is one.

Signature 

My DevArt Gallery

Posted: 27 April 2013 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 573 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1848
Joined  2006-02-17
Heatherlee - 27 April 2013 09:30 AM

I’m getting the same hair errors, tried putting the folders in as suggested and still not able to get it to render properly, any other suggestion?
I am not getting the small error box though, it just renders the pic with skimpy hair.

If you’re getting “thin hair” in your renders, you need to increase the hair quantity in the LAMH pane.

EDIT:  Depending on how the preset was written, the creator may have used a low number of hairs.  The LAMH pane has settings for the normal range of hair densities for most humans.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 27 April 2013 11:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 574 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

thanks, I didn’t know about the pane tab and though it just loaded and rendered.

Posted: 27 April 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 575 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2362
Joined  2003-12-06
Kendall Sears - 27 April 2013 07:52 AM
Richard Haseltine - 27 April 2013 07:48 AM

Is the update going to remove the need for those hard-coded folders?

The lookatmyhairAM folder follows the DAZ default “Studio” folder location.

Which DAZ default location? Remember, there’s not just the D|S4 default that’s different from every previous location, there’s also the DIM default, which isn’t even in the User folder. I’m very much afraid this is all going to get hideously complicated — we’ve already seen lots of posts from people moving to DIM who’ve got themselves in a mess setting up two separate content locations without noticing, and without realising these defaults can be changed.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 576 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  249
Joined  2005-05-17

I just want to say thanks for the free player and to all the artists who have kindly shared their hair presets.  This is my first render with this product, and I love the results.

Image Attachments
topoftheworldr.jpg

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 577 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
SpottedKitty - 27 April 2013 02:17 PM
Kendall Sears - 27 April 2013 07:52 AM
Richard Haseltine - 27 April 2013 07:48 AM

Is the update going to remove the need for those hard-coded folders?

The lookatmyhairAM folder follows the DAZ default “Studio” folder location.

Which DAZ default location? Remember, there’s not just the D|S4 default that’s different from every previous location, there’s also the DIM default, which isn’t even in the User folder. I’m very much afraid this is all going to get hideously complicated — we’ve already seen lots of posts from people moving to DIM who’ve got themselves in a mess setting up two separate content locations without noticing, and without realising these defaults can be changed.

This is a good point, thanks for bringing it up.  We’ve already run into exactly this once before with Windows8 and the new “Libraries” area showing both the DAZ 3D folders from the DIM and Documents areas.

Kendall

Signature 

Any opinions expressed in this post are those of Kendall Sears and may, or may not, be more, or less, valid than any other opinion.

The contents of this post are intended for the DAZ forum only, do not re-post any portion to any other forum without his permission.

Posted: 27 April 2013 07:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 578 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-02-17
Heatherlee - 27 April 2013 07:34 PM

I just want to say thanks for the free player and to all the artists who have kindly shared their hair presets.  This is my first render with this product, and I love the results.

Very nice!

Kendall

Signature 

Posted: 03 May 2013 03:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 579 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2010-11-26

iiii’ve… got a question (or two). again. ^^

so I finally understood how to create and render a hairstyle with look at my hair, yeah, i’m that slow… :blush:

so my question is: can one create a preset for a gen4 figure that will be useable with another gen4 figure that has morphs applied to it? because it didn’t want to work for me. the hair i ‘created’ on m4 couldn’t be used on a character i morphed using the ++morphs.

and the second question is: I can dial up the density but it doesn’t get saved. is there a way to save the density with the preset?

thanks in advance smile

Signature 

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.  ~Herm Albright

Posted: 03 May 2013 04:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 580 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1585
Joined  2005-02-25

you can’t use the preset on a different gen4, it can only be on M4.  They’re different figures with different obj files. 

It’s another great reason I like using Genesis-the hair will work on all shapes, though extreme shapes will need adjusting. 

That said i do make some V4 and M4 hair, but they have to be made as separate presets.

AS for density, that’s just the preview and doesn’t effect the final export. To affect the density of hair, you need to increase the hair count number in the export options and PRESS ENTER.  smile  For a human head of hair I usually do about 80,000 hair, and for animals more like 800,000

Posted: 03 May 2013 05:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 581 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  254
Joined  2010-11-26

Ah… the haircount. Thank you smile

I was making a M4 shortshaved kind of hair and tried to use it on a different m4 only this one had morphs applied to him and the hair I made for M4 without morphs didn’t work with the other M4 (the one with the morphs) ... and the hair I made on the one with morphs doesn’t work on the one without morphs… so what am I doing wrong?

Signature 

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.  ~Herm Albright

Posted: 04 May 2013 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 582 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25

sorry i didn’t see your reply right away! Is the morphed M4 saved as a figure? Are perhaps used two versions of M4? (I have, unfortunately, 3 versions of V4, 4 versions of A3, 2 of M4) as they were updated and stuff. Just checking if that’s an issue with you… that’s the ONLY time I ever got that message (I made a V4 hair preset on V4.1 instead of V4.2, then tried to load it on V4.2 and was quite stumped for a while).

Posted: 05 May 2013 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 583 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25

Catching up on some things….

Made the hair, the antenna, and the wings all with LAMH! Pretty cute??

Image Attachments
FireflyFaieSmCropped.jpg

Posted: 05 May 2013 01:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 584 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1258
Joined  2009-10-27
belovedalia - 05 May 2013 11:42 AM

Beautiful Amy, how did you do the wings?

Signature 

Real Plants Collection 1: Fallen Trees, Ivy and Vines”
Blog
LAMH FB

Posted: 05 May 2013 01:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 585 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-02-25
Alessandro_AM - 05 May 2013 01:50 PM
belovedalia - 05 May 2013 11:42 AM

Beautiful Amy, how did you do the wings?

Extremely simply! I did each wing separately. Small line selected down the back, brushed out from the back to thin/flatten it, and then from side view, brushed the bottom down a bit, and the top up a bit (large brush) and gathered at the tip. Using a sparkly velvet shader but kept the hair count small… only 500 hair count per wing! Increased the hair size to 250, tip 80 for the wing size.  Because of low hair count on the wings, the spaces between each hair give the appearance of opacity. smile

I may make a set of wings to share as a preset.

39 of 55