Digital Art Zone

1 of 2
Figure setup question
Posted: 07 January 2013 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  256
Joined  2006-12-09

In the picture here, I’m trying to make the gauge needle rotate.  But the bone is affecting surrounding geometry, too.  Is there an easy way to make the bone affect just the needle geometry, without trying to scale down the static and dynamic spheres.

This is the last thing preventing me from releasing a freebie for M4, so any help would be appreciated, and will benefit you, too. wink

Image Attachments
Untitled.png
 Signature 

Loose rhymes with moose and means “not tight”.  Lose an “o” to suffer a loss.

Posted: 07 January 2013 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4900
Joined  2008-03-06

Hmmm.  When I worked with cr2s I did it mostly in Poser, which has an “add/remove falloff zones” dialogue in the Joint Editor in Setup Room.  I’m trying to find an equivalent in DS for you.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 07 January 2013 08:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4900
Joined  2008-03-06

Aha.

You need a tool settings tab and the bone tool.  Select the bone.  Then go to the settings tab and the Parameter drop down and select the rotations in turn.  You should have the option to uncheck “enable angles.”  If your dial is painted 100% to the bone and nothing else is, this should enable it to rotate independent of surrounding geometry (I think).

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4914
Joined  2012-04-07

If you mean what I think you mean, you need to have the bone “not welded” to the parent.

Signature 

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1494
Joined  2003-10-09

Is the needle its own group?  If not, you might need to paint a weight map to tell it only to move the needle.  If it’s a traditionally rigged figure and isn’t a separate group, I’m not sure, but what SickleYield says sounds good to me.  Making the needle a separate group is probably the simplest way to do it in either case, though.

Signature 

My DAZ Store
My Free Stuff
My Deviant Art

Posted: 08 January 2013 08:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13934
Joined  2003-10-09

If there’s nothing that needs to bend in the model, just select all parts and in the Parameters pane turn off the Bend button. If other parts do need to bend, try selecting the needle and its parent and turning Bend off just for them (as I recall the setting needs to be off for both bones to stop bending, so other parts attached should still dform normally - though if not you can add a fake bone between the needle and the thing it’s attached to which will also limit the bending as only the bone’s own group and that of its parent can be affected).

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 08 January 2013 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  191
Joined  2003-10-09
wwes - 07 January 2013 06:39 PM

In the picture here, I’m trying to make the gauge needle rotate.  But the bone is affecting surrounding geometry, too.  Is there an easy way to make the bone affect just the needle geometry, without trying to scale down the static and dynamic spheres.

This is the last thing preventing me from releasing a freebie for M4, so any help would be appreciated, and will benefit you, too. wink

What you’re wanting is much like what’s done for the eyes in all the figures. It’s actually a simple matter, but I just can’t tell you exactly how to do it at the momment—give me tomorrow. But if you really need it now, look up the .cr2 files of the Poser 2 or 3 figures in a text editor, like Notepad or Wordpad, focus on how the Head and Eyes are arranged.

Basically, there’s a few cross-over parameters that other joints normally have—but which are missing between the Head & Eyes.

Posted: 08 January 2013 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-09

Well, thanks for the responses.  I’ve tried all this and more, with no success.  Except, when I try to adjust weight mapping to make sure only the needle mesh is affected, I get the dialog box below.  Any ideas on how I convert my figure to use weight mapping?

Image Attachments
Untitled.png
 Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2013 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  13934
Joined  2003-10-09

If it’s a conformer for Michael 4 you shouldn’t, since M4 uses the legacy Parametric Rigging. Did you try my last suggestion, adding a ghost bone (one without any geometry) between the needle and whatever the needle is attached to?

Signature 

DAZ Studio Frequently Asked Questions

Index of free DAZ Studio scripts and plugins list

Posted: 08 January 2013 04:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2007-03-19

shouldn’t need to do any of that… simply go into the figure as loaded in daz and turn “bending” to off… for the dial bone… sometimes it also works to simply adjust the joint zones to show all green so that they aren’t affecting surrounding parts… it’s a little hard to explain but simple to resolve… after turning bending to off in your parameters tab your dial will spin but it won’t affect the surrounding parts… simply save out the cr2 once you’re done changing that setting…

Note; this won’t affect the items ability to conform… sorry… i realised after posting this that i’d missed Richard had already said about it…

Image Attachments
exampleimage.JPG
 Signature 

Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Daz and Poser. Come check out my Website and Store at http://www.schells.ca ... Hope to see you soon!
Old Posts Count: 672

Conforming Figures Tutorial at http://www.schells.ca/ConformingItemswithDaz.pdf

“The only good place for a troll is under the bridge where he belongs!”

Posted: 08 January 2013 10:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-09
Richard Haseltine - 08 January 2013 04:30 PM

If it’s a conformer for Michael 4 you shouldn’t, since M4 uses the legacy Parametric Rigging. Did you try my last suggestion, adding a ghost bone (one without any geometry) between the needle and whatever the needle is attached to?

Yes, tried it, now nothing is moving.  Though I may have changed something else, too.

Signature 

Posted: 08 January 2013 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-09
chrisschell - 08 January 2013 04:39 PM

shouldn’t need to do any of that… simply go into the figure as loaded in daz and turn “bending” to off… for the dial bone… sometimes it also works to simply adjust the joint zones to show all green so that they aren’t affecting surrounding parts… it’s a little hard to explain but simple to resolve… after turning bending to off in your parameters tab your dial will spin but it won’t affect the surrounding parts… simply save out the cr2 once you’re done changing that setting…

Note; this won’t affect the items ability to conform… sorry… i realised after posting this that i’d missed Richard had already said about it…

Tried this too, no change.  Sorry.

Maybe tomorrow or when I get time I can document my steps as I go, that may make it easier to find a solution.

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-09

Okay, I’ve started over, and I’ll outline what I’m doing.

This is a full body suit for M4, so I imported the obj. file with all the body parts, used figure setup to make the skeleton, and adjusted everything with joint editor so that it worked (reasonably well, anyway).  Then I exported that as a cr2.  So far so good, that all worked.

There are two gauges on the chest, though, that I wanted to have the needles move on.  So I created a child bone off the chest, called it heart, and with polygon tool assigned everything around the gauge needles except the needles themselves.  I turned off any rotation or smoothing or bending for the heart bone.

Then I created two more child bones off heart, called them needle01 and needle02, and assigned the needles to each respectively with the polygon tool.  Since I only want them to rotate in the z direction, I turned off everything except the zrot, turned off bending, smoothing, etc.  But the z rotation slider is having no effect on the needle geometry.  Nothing happens.  The bone moves, but not the geometry.

Image Attachments
help01.png
 Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-12-09

I tried again.  This time I parented needle01 directly to the chest.  Turned everything off except zrot, and as you can see, I get major distortion in the mesh.  Even with bending turned off, the needle bends in the middle.  I guess I can adjust the falloff zones, but that was what I was trying to avoid when I started this thread.

It seems like the bone is moving too many vertices, or none at all.  Am I still missing something?

Image Attachments
help02.png
 Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 10:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  812
Joined  2010-05-08

Granted, I know nothing about what you are doing. But just wondering, could you not just create the needle as a separate object from the suit that the user could import into their scene (or it loads as a separate object), allowing the user to manipulate the rotation of the object separately as if any other item in the scene, of course with the object being properly imported into the scene in the needed positioning necessary for the suit??  (hope this is clear)

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  190
Joined  2007-03-19
wwes - 09 January 2013 10:25 AM

I tried again.  This time I parented needle01 directly to the chest.  Turned everything off except zrot, and as you can see, I get major distortion in the mesh.  Even with bending turned off, the needle bends in the middle.  I guess I can adjust the falloff zones, but that was what I was trying to avoid when I started this thread.

It seems like the bone is moving too many vertices, or none at all.  Am I still missing something?

You will for sure need to adjust the fall-off zones for the rotation… also you should check your center/end point for the needle… i’d get your twist point and fall-off zones centered in the shaft the needle attaches to… you’ll need to adjust the fall-off zones so that they aren’t grabbing any of the mesh points from the dial face and are only affecting the needle itself…. the needle bending in the middle is because the fall-off zones are only currently affecting the front portion of it in that screenshot of yours…

Signature 

Schell’s Armour Works… Home of “Theschell’s” Fantasy, Sci-fi and Historical models for Daz and Poser. Come check out my Website and Store at http://www.schells.ca ... Hope to see you soon!
Old Posts Count: 672

Conforming Figures Tutorial at http://www.schells.ca/ConformingItemswithDaz.pdf

“The only good place for a troll is under the bridge where he belongs!”

1 of 2