2 of 2
Spot Render Tool - What is it for?
Posted: 07 March 2013 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9129
Joined  2012-09-10
Richard Haseltine - 27 January 2013 04:55 PM

Yes, if you use the backdrop command to make DS show your background image behind the render you will get a mask, but if there’s actual stuff - even if it’s just a plane with a background image - then DS will treat is part of the scene and won’t mask it off.

I was looking up spot render and came on this thread- so here’s my questions
where is the backdrop command, what does it do?
do things like the cyclorama backdrop, heart of the jungle, etc- have geometry and are saved in pngs?

Signature 

The Art Studio: Thread #6   Product Discussions
Useful Reference Links- All Topics!
Beginners Videos Thread-
Z Brush Beginners Thread

Posted: 07 March 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6685
Joined  2007-09-13
Novica - 07 March 2013 11:46 AM
Richard Haseltine - 27 January 2013 04:55 PM

Yes, if you use the backdrop command to make DS show your background image behind the render you will get a mask, but if there’s actual stuff - even if it’s just a plane with a background image - then DS will treat is part of the scene and won’t mask it off.

I was looking up spot render and came on this thread- so here’s my questions
where is the backdrop command, what does it do?

Edit>Backdrop. 

It just loads an image to be the background, instead of the grey/other color of the ‘normal’ background.  It isn’t ‘scalable’ or anything, it’s just ‘there’.

Novica - 07 March 2013 11:46 AM

do things like the cyclorama backdrop, heart of the jungle, etc- have geometry and are saved in pngs?

Anything with geometry, like the cyclorama will be rendered out as part of the image…so yes, it will show up in a png.  (So will a simple plane with an image applied to the diffuse channel.)

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

The HDRi list.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 07 March 2013 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  9129
Joined  2012-09-10

What is a good size for a background image, so it wont be blurry? (Since it isnt scalable and fills the entire viewport. )

Signature 

The Art Studio: Thread #6   Product Discussions
Useful Reference Links- All Topics!
Beginners Videos Thread-
Z Brush Beginners Thread

Posted: 07 March 2013 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22
Novica - 07 March 2013 03:52 PM

What is a good size for a background image, so it wont be blurry? (Since it isnt scalable and fills the entire viewport. )

One the same size as your render size is the best.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 29 January 2015 01:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  47
Joined  2009-11-20
Wolpi - 17 January 2013 07:14 AM

Where do I find the spot-rendered image? I’m not asked in which folder I want it to be saved.

Hello!  Stumbled upon this thread while looking for a solution to a different question.  (‘Why doesn’t the lighting of my spot render match the full render I just finished?’  Still working on that.)
The responses to the question posted above didn’t seem entirely accurate, and even though the thread is really old, I figured I’d update in case anyone else was looking.

You can save a spot render.  I do this after making a small change in a scene in order to avoid re-rendering the whole image (though lighting does sometimes seem to go off on me :/ )
You will end up with png where the rest of the image is transparent.  Only your spot will be included, but the image size will be the same as the render settings.  This is nice as you can layer the spot render seamlessly over the original render in Photoshop (or Gimp for those of us who are cheap) without worrying about placement.  Some postwork may be necessary.

How to:
Make sure the camera, lighting and render settings haven’t changed since the original render. 
Select the Spot Render tool ( Tools -> Spot Render or Alt+Shift+C )
Open the Tool Settings Pane/Tab ( Window -> Panes (Tabs) -> Tool Settings )
The Active Tool dropdown should say Spot Render.  There will be only two radio buttons under Render To:  Click New Window.

Voila!  When you next do a spot render by drawing a box around an area, it will render into a new window.

Disclaimer: Written for Daz 4.7 on Window.  Your mileage may vary.  Don’t know if background images affect this - don’t use ‘em, so I didn’t try.  Besides, they moved the background tool, and I forgot where it went.

Posted: 29 January 2015 01:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8891
Joined  2009-05-14

I use it all the time and I have never had mismatching lighting.

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Facebook

Posted: 30 January 2015 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3336
Joined  2009-02-24

It uses the same render engine to work on spot renders as it does for the full image, so I’m really not sure how you’re getting a difference in lighting. It’s not something I’ve personally encountered in my years using Daz Studio. The spot render should be identical, it just chooses to render only one area rather than the whole image.

Do you have an example you could share?

Signature 

Find me on DeviantArt
Download my free IBL presets for Luxus
Re-upload of Cresent’s awesome pwToon shaders
Create your own Smart Content

Posted: 30 January 2015 04:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1177
Joined  2003-10-09

I agree with Shawn and the others.  Spot render is great for doing a small patch that needs to be re-rendered and I can patch it into a previously rendered image easily.

Signature 

It Takes Character Face and Body Morphs for G2F
Visit my store.
DAZ Studio 4 Frequently Asked Questions
IRAY: start here

2 of 2