2 of 2
Carrara 8 Pro Memory
Posted: 08 January 2013 08:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03
magaremoto - 08 January 2013 03:29 PM

I mean Pgware Superram ( http://www.pgware.com/products/superram/ ). Actually I never trust in apps like that but since the installation, C8 keeps working faster especially when you stop the rendering and make some refinements on your scene

I wept a little when I clicked that link. Windows Memory Manager is excellent and extremely well-tested. It does not need any help—these sorts of programs tend to fake things by purging caches. I view these companies as out to trick people who don’t understand Windows internals.

If you are having performance problems, there are a variety of tools in Windows or available for free (http://www.sysinternals.com) that can help you figure out what is going on and what you can do to correct it.

I got to use up to 10 gb of ram on 16 but do not know how and why, and during the rendering cpus are always at 100%. I’d like to know if anyone will have the same response.

High CPU use is totally expected during rendering. 10 GB / 16 GB RAM is not a problem in itself. I don’t have enough information to say for sure what is going on here. What other applications (besides Carrara) are you running? Your performance problems are likely paging.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 09 January 2013 06:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1377
Joined  2011-01-03
3drendero - 08 January 2013 03:07 PM

I know, you are all non-believers, but nowadays with OCCT, you are missing out on a free upgrade.

Believe me; I get it. I know why people overclock—honestly, I think it is less about the “free upgrade” and more about the geeky tinkering involved.

Alas, I don’t have the link so that I can properly share this with you; but I was reading Raymond “Old New Thing” Chen’s blog a few years back. He related a tale about some bizarre Windows crashes that could not be explained. You know when Windows crashes and it asks to send info to Microsoft? Please send it. I promise you that every single one is analyzed—I worked on the SQL Server that stores those crash reports.

At any rate, the crash reporting showed a bunch of crashes that could not be traced to any known problem. Eventually, the analysts got permission from Microsoft Legal to contact some of the customers directly (a big no-no usually). It turns out…every single one of them was overclocking…

So the “free upgrade” isn’t really accurate. AMD and Intel know that people are going to do this. Geeks tinker. Nothing will stop that. So instead of releasing chips that can go as fast as they can possibly make them—they intentionally hold back and give geeks some room to play with the clock speeds. So today’s chips can “safely” overclocked; but all that is really being done is setting the chip to its originally intended spec. cool hmm

I don’t want to rain on your parade (as he looks out the windows and sees the miserable weather hanging over Dallas at the moment). Overclock. Enjoy. I just want my computers to be rock-solid stable.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  0
Garstor - 08 January 2013 08:45 PM

I mean Pgware Superram ( http://www.pgware.com/products/superram/ ). Actually I never trust in apps like that but since the installation, C8 keeps working faster especially when you stop the rendering and make some refinements on your scene

I wept a little when I clicked that link. Windows Memory Manager is excellent and extremely well-tested. It does not need any help—these sorts of programs tend to fake things by purging caches. I view these companies as out to trick people who don’t understand Windows internals.

If you are having performance problems, there are a variety of tools in Windows or available for free (http://www.sysinternals.com) that can help you figure out what is going on and what you can do to correct it.

I got to use up to 10 gb of ram on 16 but do not know how and why, and during the rendering cpus are always at 100%. I’d like to know if anyone will have the same response.

High CPU use is totally expected during rendering. 10 GB / 16 GB RAM is not a problem in itself. I don’t have enough information to say for sure what is going on here. What other applications (besides Carrara) are you running? Your performance problems are likely paging.

I totally agree with you garstor but I grabbed superram up in a magazine for free and after installation to try it out, things have gone better and better; I think it’s being related to ram management by MB (temp issues) rather than W7 ultimate, anyway now I feel satisfied with it and appear to be stable too

Posted: 10 January 2013 04:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  433
Joined  2012-04-01
Garstor - 09 January 2013 06:48 AM

I know, you are all non-believers, but nowadays with OCCT, you are missing out on a free upgrade.

Believe me; I get it. I know why people overclock—honestly, I think it is less about the “free upgrade” and more about the geeky tinkering involved.

Alas, I don’t have the link so that I can properly share this with you; but I was reading Raymond “Old New Thing” Chen’s blog a few years back. He related a tale about some bizarre Windows crashes that could not be explained. You know when Windows crashes and it asks to send info to Microsoft? Please send it. I promise you that every single one is analyzed—I worked on the SQL Server that stores those crash reports.

At any rate, the crash reporting showed a bunch of crashes that could not be traced to any known problem. Eventually, the analysts got permission from Microsoft Legal to contact some of the customers directly (a big no-no usually). It turns out…every single one of them was overclocking…

So the “free upgrade” isn’t really accurate. AMD and Intel know that people are going to do this. Geeks tinker. Nothing will stop that. So instead of releasing chips that can go as fast as they can possibly make them—they intentionally hold back and give geeks some room to play with the clock speeds. So today’s chips can “safely” overclocked; but all that is really being done is setting the chip to its originally intended spec. cool hmm

I don’t want to rain on your parade (as he looks out the windows and sees the miserable weather hanging over Dallas at the moment). Overclock. Enjoy. I just want my computers to be rock-solid stable.

In my case, it is about using my skills to buy at PC at half the price. Actually hate to change CPU fan and waste an hour on assembling it.

Painfully aware of the random crashes that are caused by overclocks set to above 100%, it was the way to find out the max back in the days before OCCT and it took hours. One PC kept corrupting the Registry when I wanted to quickly find the max, but again, this shit happens above the 100% limit that nowadays can be found quickly with OCCT.

It is a free upgrade, since the other option is to buy the CPU model that runs at full speed from factory at twice the price.

Trust me, also want rock-solid stable computers, but that does not dismiss overclocking when done properly, if you are budget limited.

Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 12 January 2013 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  218
Joined  0

thank to Garstor I I’ve been thinking more and more about the strange ram issue, so I have made up my mind to update the bios and actually the problem seems solved now; however, the W7 performance index has remained virtually unchanged, then it means that the problem was a “lack of optimization” between the MB and windows and not a bad handling of energy saving as I had supposed

Posted: 21 September 2013 10:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2004-12-31

I’m not sure if this has or has not been mentioned when it comes to monitoring more detailed accurate status of memory usage in Windows.I currently use Process Explorer from Mark Russinovich, a Senior Fellow at Microsoft and creator of the SysInternal Tools. In several of his webcasts, he jokes that Process Explorer is the “real” task manager. Which I agree with and have personally replaced task manager with Process Explorer on all of my Windows boxes and workstations.

You can download Process Explorer from Microsoft’s technet site.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Posted: 28 September 2013 09:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-08-08
Garstor - 06 January 2013 07:40 AM
3drendero - 06 January 2013 06:06 AM

Too bad you don’t overclock, the main point of getting an AMD FX is easy overclocking for a low price CPU, so that it can compete with high price Intel CPU.

Like Dart, I won’t trust overclocking…ever. The day you get a single bit-flip problem on the CPU registers because things are too hot will be the day you swear off of it too. wink

The best bit, you’ll probably never know what the real issue it. It will be random and all but impossible to repro…but just about any running process could be impacted—from an essential part of Windows, to notepad or calc up to Carrara… No sir; I will not risk it. Stay stable, keep rendering.

But if you go and read how the experts do the overclocking and don’t try to go top fuel just a good increase it can ce done safely and cost effectivly.

Posted: 28 September 2013 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  88
Joined  2012-08-08
Garstor - 09 January 2013 06:48 AM

The part about them doing it to give over-clockers room is not true.  Processors are built by engineers. These are people who build in safety margins that are typically 50% over what is possible. This gives them extra margin of safety. But it is also about money back in the 386 and 486 days Intel dropped the 386’s because it didn’t want their performance to challenge the 486’s. So other companies actually found niches in those days creating the low end systems and taking them to the limit.

Speed limits are like making race cars if you try to go top fuel you are subject to crash and burn. But just building a peppy street car it can last just as long as a mom and pop ride.

As to the problems if 10,000 people over-clock does it mean that all of them are doing it correctly? Are they playing it safe?  Maybe the over-clocker problems developed in the machines that were made by those that tried to run on the razors edge that really didn’t know how.

Now I am just being the devil’s advocate here. I just think it’s like anything if handled responsible it can be a good thing. On the other side I am about to build a new machine that I have decided to go with a Xeon processor system. It can’t be over-clocked…

Posted: 28 September 2013 11:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  751
Joined  2003-10-09
3doutlaw - 03 January 2013 09:59 PM

Sooooo…I got C8Pro upgrade this weekend, and was thinking it was going to take advantage of more RAM. (running Win7 64 bit, 8gb ram, I7), but running something like an older howie scene (stoney creek), it drags on camera movement ...

I don’t know much about the hardware topics being discussed, but your comment about dragging camera movement sounds familiar.  When I first used PhilW’s “Carrara Realistic Seas”, the camera movement in the Assembly Room was incredibly slow (just normal preview, not textured).  Its a Core i7 Win7 64 bit machine with a good amount of RAM and a good video card, and its never done that before.  It took maybe a minute or two for a small camera angle rotation, basically unworkable.  I ended up asking PhilW (the vendor) if that sounded right, he said no and didn’t understand the problem, but offered a workaround.  In the “View” mode for the “realistic seas” item, I switched from “mesh” to “bounding box” and everything went back to fast response.  Its not really a problem visualizing in the Assembly room, the bounding box gives the placement OK. 

FWIW.

2 of 2