4 of 14
Carrara Community Movie Project Year 1— Story Ideas Welcomed
Posted: 06 January 2013 02:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  755
Joined  2006-05-26
bigh - 06 January 2013 01:18 AM
Rashad Carter - 06 January 2013 12:24 AM

Hmm, yummy. This discussion is great food for thought. Age of Armor, I think you have given us some great ideas, thanks
so much for this incredible insight. Obviously, with a post like that, I dont care how far you try to run… YOU ARE IN THIS PROJECT. If you’ve got this many good ideas already, I cant imagine not having you around to advise us down the road.

I think we will do it exactly as you have described. Brilliant.

I really am getting excited for this. In just a few days we’ve gone from hopeless to quite hopeful, amazing what some occupation can do.
Yes, polls are coming, and now with the added considerations from AOA I expect some movement soon.

We are still waiting for some acknowledgement from Daz, so I want to keep our minds very open until we hear what they think. Thanks to Chohole and the moderation team for stepping in a little bit already, very much appreciated.

JoeMamma,
Yes, your observations are consistent with my own. I am assuming that for a few days lets just toss out all kinds iof crazy stuff, and take out pick fro the best idea from there.

Ideally, I would like to tell an engaging story, and to do so showing off the abilities of Carrara and of the community as animators. The reason why the story needs to appeal is because for a film to truly get attention it has to have a story that “transcends.” any one target audience. As AOA explained, the details of setting are essential, but what is more essential is the action that takes place, the “what.” Savvy CG artists will always be in editor mode when watching a film, appreciating all the technical stuff going on that novices and noin cg people wouldn’t even recognize.

I would like to think we could produce a Blender Sintel type animation, but alas, it remains to be seen iof we have the resources. This is the first year of the project, hopefully the process will be streamlined a bit next year.

Also, I should mention that Siggraph 2013 is in LA, around September or something. If we can get this thing more or less rendered by July, we can have it edited in time for siggraph. So there we have it. Let’s aim for completion about a month before siggraph.

Not to pop your bubble - but I think - Holly should be running THIS PROJECT .
She does this kind of thing - you don’t .
You know next to nothing about Carrara - don’t use it .
She does - and has been very helpful to many of us .

No bubbles bursting here. I agree with you 1000%. It is yet unknown if she has the time to devote to this project, but I would certainly feel better about the project knowing that she was heading it. Due to her history in these forums she has established relationships with many people and those types of relationships help get these types of jobs done. I would strongly nominate Holly, to be involved to any degree that she wants, especially to run the whole thing.

Hopefully, she will agree.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 06 January 2013 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  227
Joined  2006-05-21

Good luck with this guys!

I came across this recently…http://www.theprice-movie.com/production-blog/  You will find it interesting and entertaining!

Signature 

http://stusutcliffe.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted: 06 January 2013 07:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Total Posts:  21
Joined  2008-07-28

I just stumbled across this thread—I don’t use Carrara but something I learned from other projects is that sometimes rendering “too large” is useful in post-production because it gives you some room to pan and zoom in and out when editing. For example, Robot Chicken is created with DSLR cameras that produce far higher resolution than seen on TV, but this allows the editors to pick and choose the most interesting parts of the frames when stitching it all together (of course the render time is directly related to the size, so this has to be used judiciously).

Another thing I would suggest is that you establish a common library of models, sets and (especially) lights. On a professional production, there will be an entire department dedicated to lighting, but I assume everyone here will be doing their own renders. Unless common lights are used, you run the risk of having weird flickering lighting effects when you edit everything together.

Finally, I like the SmartSound products for music http://www.smartsound.com. Their music usually goes on sale once or twice a year (around Christmas) but it is high quality and their tools are very well designed.

Good luck

Posted: 06 January 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

stu and Erik—— very nice links , comments and advice.

At this point in the discussion its so important to get all kinds of comments, advice, ideas, storytlines etc. It really is so vital to hear from as many folks in the community as possible because I know there are many extremely talented and expert members and the more that hear about this project, comment on, advise , direct and hopefully help out—the better the chance for any success.

Rashad-  I do not think one could target any kind of dates without a project . But   -if the project takes on the highest road or most ambitious level—-Any ideas of anytime in 2013 would seem extremely wishful. Even with the most optimistic level of participation. Not trying to be negative just realistic and when we get a little further along the ideas stages a lot of the how big , how hard , how long , answers might be better best guessed at and even that you can almost double whatever you think.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 06 January 2013 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Isn’t she the one who suggested that this project shouldn’t have a Director? And it shouldn’t have many (or was it any) rules?

So how would that work, if someone was a Director of a project she didn’t think should have a Director? Would she always be arguing with herself, and saying stuff like “Butt OUT !! Leave us alone !! We don’t need a Director !! “

Sorry, just a little levity…..  smile

Posted: 06 January 2013 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Joined  2008-07-28
3dView - 06 January 2013 08:49 AM

stu and Erik—— very nice links , comments and advice.

At this point in the discussion its so important to get all kinds of comments, advice, ideas, storytlines etc. It really is so vital to hear from as many folks in the community as possible because I know there are many extremely talented and expert members and the more that hear about this project, comment on, advise , direct and hopefully help out—the better the chance for any success.

Rashad-  I do not think one could target any kind of dates without a project . But   -if the project takes on the highest road or most ambitious level—-Any ideas of anytime in 2013 would seem extremely wishful. Even with the most optimistic level of participation. Not trying to be negative just realistic and when we get a little further along the ideas stages a lot of the how big , how hard , how long , answers might be better best guessed at and even that you can almost double whatever you think.

I agree with the statement about how much time things will take. My only caution is this—your chance of success (defined as completing the project) is inversely related to how long it takes. A one month project might have a 95% chance of completion but a one year project probably has more like a 5% chance of completion. Even in my real job developing software, in 17 years, I’ve only ever seen one project survive more than one year without a release (and that was done by throwing a ton of money at it).

Ultimately it is up to you, the Producer, to set the timeline, the scope, and make the hard choices that make the project successful. That’s why producers get top billing.

Posted: 06 January 2013 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
ErikAtMapache - 06 January 2013 04:07 PM

Even in my real job developing software, in 17 years, I’ve only ever seen one project survive more than one year without a release (and that was done by throwing a ton of money at it)..

So…do you mean that…since the Carrara 8.5 Beta project has been going on for almost 1.5 years, its…..

gulp

Posted: 06 January 2013 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

Erik—-i think you have valid points on time frames and indeed maintaining a year long project in any community would be difficult and the reason to have more than one person wearing a specific hat as it where—-so I have been putting out the idea of as example Art Director have one lead and two assistants .......and JoeMamma2000 is certainly looking like a shoe in vote in candidate for at least one of those jobs just for the levity alone.

But indeed——-a long project would need constant reinforcing of help and spirits to keep it moving forward to completion.  This is indeed truely one the greatest hurdles for any community project.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 06 January 2013 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Joined  2008-07-28
JoeMamma2000 - 06 January 2013 04:12 PM
ErikAtMapache - 06 January 2013 04:07 PM

Even in my real job developing software, in 17 years, I’ve only ever seen one project survive more than one year without a release (and that was done by throwing a ton of money at it)..

So…do you mean that…since the Carrara 8.5 Beta project has been going on for almost 1.5 years, its…..

gulp

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Posted: 07 January 2013 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  55
Joined  2005-09-04

So we don’t wander off topic if you get a story line it is still better to be written as a screen play it it isn’t there is some pretty good free software to do so, I like Celtx it allows for tracking assets as well as breaks out the dialog from the shooting script.

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
JoeMamma2000 - 06 January 2013 03:58 PM

Isn’t she the one who suggested that this project shouldn’t have a Director? And it shouldn’t have many (or was it any) rules?

So how would that work, if someone was a Director of a project she didn’t think should have a Director? Would she always be arguing with herself, and saying stuff like “Butt OUT !! Leave us alone !! We don’t need a Director !! “

Sorry, just a little levity…..  smile

Thank you bigh for the vote of confidence…, but Joe is right. LOL.

I was leaning for the version where “everyone participates, holds hands, sings Kumbaya” no deadline/no angst/all community… If it’s decided to go a different way, then I would figure out how to participate as I can…. In the community version I’d be happy to be head cheerleader, in the “super-polished” version I would probably be good at the planning stage, but there are other pros here who also work with teams and maybe have more experience at management—i seem to have no luck with human resources, their brains wander off and they create drama and generally don’t participate well in goal-oriented activities no matter how many times you tell them the goal… Is it me?

I’m trying to recall 2 former members who have made longer narrative animations whose input would be really helpful. One is the guy who animates the wizard and fairies all composited with live footage…. The other was a tense action scene (in a graveyard?) and shot to shot it was amazing and stylish and showed a lot of skill with storytelling… And of course the bear and elephant animation on a train is a complete film already, I’d love to get to see the whole thing! Can we start to compile a list of existing Carrara animations? There are actually many, but then we always hear there are no animations from Carrara…. It’s because we have a short memory and DAZ is not supportive.

Maybe in addition to these “scripts” we’ve been submitting, we should also submit some artwork? I’d prefer a story told mostly in images and mood… Actually the kinematic that Stu linked to ( http://www.theprice-movie.com/the-film/ ) seemed a great starting point. I’d consider it a 1st year success if we could get that far…. Best way to see what elements are missing/necessary.

Also, agreeing with Joe, before we set the story we should establish some goals. It’s already too easy for everyone to derail with million dollar fantasy and kickstarter liabilities…. Sometimes people talk themselves out of the journey before taking the first steps….

I’ll try to find the existing animators and animations and post them here…

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 07 January 2013 09:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

Here’s a playlist I started on Youtube, I added whatever I thought was relavent in the vein of “completed” animations - in some cases they are excerpts or episodes (so I only included one sample per animator)... Please review, as we already have some great examples of what is possible, and a short list of Carrara animation experts.

Let me know what else I can add.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMqkFJEqYHtu34uVZxTwObCs1PwNystEV

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 07 January 2013 01:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04

This is awesome.
When I wrote on another thread regarding this same subject, that I will begin working an angle no matter what gets decided, I was actually on the page that - Just in the case that such footage would work with the overall goal, fine. Even if it needs some major tweaking it at least gives a start in one direction. If not, it adds another set of fun animation/rendering exercises to my list. This might have been taken in a wrong way, but it still holds true. If animators and scene creators want to get busy with a gut feeling of something that would help towards what they think this will end up being, I say: “Go for it!” It is never really a waste to sharpen the axe. If we turn out some really cool scenes that don’t fit with the main project, we may still be able to assemble a separate demo with what doesn’t go in.

Busy busy.
I’m currently working like mad to finish a few new projects while sneaking in some initial footage for my own movie series’ first episode. My squished toe is healing nicely - which has me actually considering smashing it with a hammer to buy more time on all of this! lol
All of this mad rush has the tendency to bring out the broken record in me again, so I apologize in advance, but I gotta say it…

Carrara Pro Freakin Rocks my Socks!!!
                                                                                                              cool hmm  Dartan

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 January 2013 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6171
Joined  2007-12-04
holly wetcircuit - 07 January 2013 09:49 AM

Here’s a playlist I started on Youtube, I added whatever I thought was relavent in the vein of “completed” animations - in some cases they are excerpts or episodes (so I only included one sample per animator)... Please review, as we already have some great examples of what is possible, and a short list of Carrara animation experts.

Let me know what else I can add.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMqkFJEqYHtu34uVZxTwObCs1PwNystEV

Gotta make the long voyage into town… but when I return, I’ll check this (and some of the other links in here) out. Thanks Holly… great idea - if this is what I think it is. cool hmm

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 07 January 2013 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 60 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Also, keep in mind that ‘bigh’, in another thread, mentioned that he had a film idea and wanted to see it take root. I’m sure nobody wants to dismiss his efforts, so maybe he should be considered as a Director or Producer or Art Director or whatever.

4 of 14