Digital Art Zone

12 of 14
Carrara Community Movie Project Year 1— Story Ideas Welcomed
Posted: 15 January 2013 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 166 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  0
mmoir - 15 January 2013 07:22 PM

Which look of the 2 animations I posted do you guys like best?

In my opinion, the second animation, titled “No.10Bus”, showed a much higher level of artistic talent and animation skill.

Although the story was a bit bizarre, it made me smile, and I watched it twice.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 15 January 2013 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 167 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1340
Joined  2008-01-01

I agree that the No10 bus showed more artistic talent, flair and interest with no real story to it, but for showcasing Carrara I’d say a mix, such as in the dreams story would be more appropriate.

Posted: 15 January 2013 11:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 168 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  365
Joined  0
Roygee - 15 January 2013 09:42 PM

I agree that the No10 bus showed more artistic talent, flair and interest with no real story to it, but for showcasing Carrara I’d say a mix, such as in the dreams story would be more appropriate.

You’re right, if the purpose of this exercise is to showcase Carrara.
However, I don’t think anyone has yet decided what the purpose is.
If the purpose is to simply create an entertaining short subject, a different approach would likely be needed. Whereas, if the purpose is to showcase Carrara’s attributes, then showing off more features and capabilities would be more important.

I think someone needs to decide what the purpose is.

Signature 

-Dean

DAZ Gallery: http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1922/

Posted: 16 January 2013 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 169 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  48
Joined  2010-05-22
de3an - 15 January 2013 11:43 PM

If the purpose is to simply create an entertaining short subject, a different approach would likely be needed. Whereas, if the purpose is to showcase Carrara’s attributes, then showing off more features and capabilities would be more important.

If it is going to showcase Carrara whatever the storyline we might want to produce something on par or better than Blender’s 4 Open Movie projects?

Maybe something that is as polished as the Dreams clip mentioned before http://challenge.cgsociety.org/ten/entry/SebastianDelValle/final_video/10004517

My 2 cents is just that whatever is produced is probably going to be compared to other open movie projects.

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/blender-open-projects/

Elephants Dream (2006)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLkA0RELQ1g

Big Buck Bunny (2008)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7VzlLtp-4

Sintel (2010)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

Tears of Steel (2012)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6MlUcmOul8

Posted: 16 January 2013 08:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 170 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  214
Joined  2004-12-08

I think the hope is to both showcase carrara and produce an entertaining short film.

de3an - 15 January 2013 11:43 PM

Posted: 18 February 2014 08:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 171 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2003-10-23

So, the last time something was posted in this thread was a year ago.  From what I read, it seems like a great idea has been grind to a halt because too many ideas on which direction the project should go, what should be used, and so on and so forth.  Personally, I think if you used Daz store content, that saves time.  The first purpose of this movie, again I realize I’m late to the party and this is just my opinion, is to showcase what Carrara can do, even with pre-made content.  Telling a brilliant story with great visuals can still happen.  I watched that Tears of Steel Blender movie and the one complaint that seemed to be a constant with the film was “what’s the story”.  Beautiful movie done with Blender, but lacking a bit of story.  With Carrara, I think since we have an enormous pool of premade content to play around with, start there, enhancing that with the capabilities of Carrara to show what can be done on what scale with Carrara as a production tool.  That’s just to get us started.  The second movie, build from there (say no premade human/character models, but premade sets can be used).  Third movie, everything made in Carrara…and so on.

An old college professor told me…you can’t do the second one without doing the first one first.  Don’t try to do everything in the first one or you won’t have anything to strive for in the 2nd one.

I hope some steam has been made with this project. smile  Would love to see/possibly help. smile

Posted: 18 February 2014 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 172 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

dsexton72,
  Nothing is happening with this project as far as I know.  My opinion is that we would have to start very small with this movie project, even smaller than the “Easy Come Easy Go .” test movie that we were going to do.  I am open to working on this as my free time permits, if you have any ideas on a very short clip feel free to share it . 

Mike

Posted: 18 February 2014 11:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 173 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

User Groups is available at Carrara Cafe as a community place to organize any project, each group has it’s own forum and activity wall. Also free space away from trolls, hijackers, doubters, and etc….

If anyone has links to finished creative projects please give me a heads up. I’d like to add it to our PROJECTS section.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 18 February 2014 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 174 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  85
Joined  2003-10-23
mmoir - 18 February 2014 09:18 AM

dsexton72,
  Nothing is happening with this project as far as I know.  My opinion is that we would have to start very small with this movie project, even smaller than the “Easy Come Easy Go .” test movie that we were going to do.  I am open to working on this as my free time permits, if you have any ideas on a very short clip feel free to share it . 

Mike

Thanks Mike.  I don’t have any ideas right off the top of my head but it should be something that’s less than a minute and a half that can showcase Carrara’s abilities and we should use premade stuff to focus more on things like smooth animation…like a superhero scaling rooftops at night or something like that.  A friend of mine and I are working on some promotional material for a book I’m writing that’s basically going use Carrara as the 3D application of choice.  I don’t care about all these of “advanced” bells and whistles that Max or even Blender has, I bought and support Carrara, I’m gonna use it.

I’m gonna hang out more at this Carrara Cafe’, though.  Carrara users may not have Pixar’s budget but we still have a program that can do Pixar-level work.  (And trust me, the moment a troll reads this, they are going to be quick to point out how Carrara could NEVER do Pixar level work.  Before you even start, troll…GTFOOHWTBS because IANI). smile

Posted: 18 February 2014 01:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 175 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

Holly,
  I was thinking of starting the movie project away from the Daz forum and Carrara Café may be the place . My other thought was the Carrarator site that was started recently but it doesn’t look very active.  Can I set up the user group myself there or do I need a Moderator to do this?
  I will start up a thread over there and see how it goes.
  Thanks,
Mike
\

holly wetcircuit - 18 February 2014 11:10 AM

User Groups is available at Carrara Cafe as a community place to organize any project, each group has it’s own forum and activity wall. Also free space away from trolls, hijackers, doubters, and etc….

If anyone has links to finished creative projects please give me a heads up. I’d like to add it to our PROJECTS section.

Posted: 18 February 2014 02:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 176 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

dsexton72,

What are your strengths or areas of interest when it comes to using Carrara? I myself am a generalist when it comes to 3d work ,so I am fairly proficient at modeling/texturing and lighting in Carrara and starting to get more comfortable animating in Carrara.  I don’t have any big post production/compositing tools like After Effects or Premier but I am sure others here have that . 
Lets keep the ball rolling with this or nothing will happen.

Mike

Posted: 18 February 2014 02:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 177 ]
Rank
Joined  2004-12-08

Actually the Carrarators site is more active than I thought at first , I just looked at some of the skill building animations . Cool stuff happening over there.

Mike

Posted: 18 February 2014 02:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 178 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
mmoir - 18 February 2014 01:58 PM

Holly,
  I was thinking of starting the movie project away from the Daz forum and Carrara Café may be the place . My other thought was the Carrarator site that was started recently but it doesn’t look very active.  Can I set up the user group myself there or do I need a Moderator to do this?
  I will start up a thread over there and see how it goes.
  Thanks,
Mike
\

holly wetcircuit - 18 February 2014 11:10 AM

You should be able to start a group yourself (as long as you are logged in). Then you can invite people, or make it open membership. You can also share zip files (under a certain web limit something around 40MB+), embed youtube, format posts with images and iframes (a little buggy, but I’ve even embedded a Unity3D scene just to see if it would work). The activity wall is like the MY CAFE social wall, so you can embed youtube links and images there too and treat it like a blog or a chat….

Carrarators is cool too. I need to get over there more. smile

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 18 February 2014 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 179 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  130
Joined  2010-06-04

MMoir,
            I think right now Cafe may have more folks who visit but the Carrarator site has a core group of enthusiastic folks as well. Ooseven of carrarators has also already been thinking of group projects etc so I think he would be amenable to working out something as well on his site.

And as aside, we already have seen it is hard to get folks to agree to things—so having a place to hash it out aside from Daz site might be beneficial. There are a number of very talentetd folks here .....its just getting them to get on the same page and work as a team for a defined agreed upon goal always seems the trick. Smiles.

I would of course be very interested to hear your ideas and participate in the project in anyway I could.

Rich

Signature 

If you like or like to try animation -try the new place for animation for Carrara at http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!forum/cl3g

Posted: 19 February 2014 03:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 180 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  335
Joined  2007-07-31

This is true Rich - the Carrarator forum always had a section for collaboration - It really just needed someone to pick up the ball and kick it off.  Why this topic/thread here on Daz collapsed was I believe, because the needs of collaborators are not been catered for and it was one of the reasons Carrarators was started - purely for those wanting to focus on animation and movie making.

Remembering that if you dont sign up to the forum you dont see all that it covers.

That said I have finally posted a fairly long article that’s been in my pipeline for sometime and which I was slow to publish because I am no expert on making movies and kind of hoped others might do it for me. I have a zillion other things associated with the web/forum to keep me busy.

Anyway my “article”  suggests how one might collaborate and how Carrarator project groups could be used for a project. What I, with the support of a few others have tried to do with Carrators is provide a platform for others to work on - you have to do the rest with participation.

So I would suggest anyone slightly interested in making a movie checks out Carrators - Take a look then post some comment or give your opinion and suggestions before you leave. Other people would like to read them. and hopefully you will stop by again. We would sure love you to become a regular !!

cheers

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

12 of 14