cheers!

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 03 January 2013 07:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4894
Joined  2004-07-01

We should use C 8.5 for sure - never c 7 .

Posted: 03 January 2013 07:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5911
Joined  2006-08-27
bigh - 03 January 2013 07:33 PM

My philosophy is to never, ever use beta software for mission critical applications. Aside from 32 bit/64 bit, bullet, Genesis and a few improvements to the lights, there’s not a heck of a lot of differences between C7.2 and C8.x

I don’t really see a need to limit the participants to a specific version of Carrara if it’s capable of doing what’s needed for that person’s part of the project. If there’s some fancy physics mojo that needs to happen in a particular scene, then that should go to somebody that is #1, familiar with how to accomplish what needs doing and #2, has the version of Carrara capable of doing it.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 03 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4894
Joined  2004-07-01
evilproducer - 03 January 2013 07:43 PM

My philosophy is to never, ever use beta software for mission critical applications. Aside from 32 bit/64 bit, bullet, Genesis and a few improvements to the lights, there’s not a heck of a lot of differences between C7.2 and C8.x

I don’t really see a need to limit the participants to a specific version of Carrara if it’s capable of doing what’s needed for that person’s part of the project. If there’s some fancy physics mojo that needs to happen in a particular scene, then that should go to somebody that is #1, familiar with how to accomplish what needs doing and #2, has the version of Carrara capable of doing it.

I agree - just didn’t see the need to just use C 7 .

Posted: 03 January 2013 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
bigh - 03 January 2013 07:46 PM

Ah. My bad. I didn’t get it. I agree with you, agreeing with me! wink Limiting your participants to a specific version of Carrara could significantly lower the pool of available talent.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2006-05-26
evilproducer - 03 January 2013 07:53 PM
bigh - 03 January 2013 07:46 PM

Ah. My bad. I didn’t get it. I agree with you, agreeing with me! wink Limiting your participants to a specific version of Carrara could significantly lower the pool of available talent.

This is a great point. This is another area that Daz will be critical in. They may or may not be willing to license C8.5 for a few of us to help accomplish tasks only doable in 8.5.

So yeah, makes sense. All versions of Carrara are game.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 03 January 2013 08:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

It looks like the story ideas thread is getting taking over by technical items but the conversation is good and creative so no harm. We still need story ideas and I guess for me one question is how high quality is the target. I mean my own thoughts it needs to be somewhat comparable to some of the Blender movies——now that’s a high high bar…...no question. If you have not seen any of these check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

its” Sintel “———and its breathtakingly good.

Now it had some huge funding and obviously some professional designers and artist voice and music etc. but is this level obtainable given the resources?  Or is this maybe just a little bit beyond our reach. I have not seen here very much character animation on this level nor characters—-even if we used daz content. The environments given enough modeling resources seem like is possible ......I am not even sure the most maxed out carrara settings can get the renders needed to compete although with the right shaders , textures and lighting——-you can probably get close.

wondered what you all thought of how high is high in quality terms do we shoot for.

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 03 January 2013 08:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6382
Joined  2007-12-04

I’m sure that there are others who may want this - who may even be more qualified, like having access to a symphonic orchestra with a studio capable of recording them, but…
I am a musician with access to some musicians and a recording studio. Depending upon when the final draft is ready for scoring, I may be available for that. If all goes well with my other, personal endeavors, I may have orchestral scoring software by then (so far, Finale is looking like the best candidate for me) which would then give me access to a philharmonic as well! wink
Since I am currently putting my own movie series together as we speak, we’ll have to see what I can do, and when… but I am very willing.

The studio is owned by a friend of mine who is a contractor, and so for I’ve been able to pay for his expertise and space by bartering that which nobody ever wants to do… stone work. Hard, grueling stone work. But I like it so if that is available for this, I may be willing. But that time is quite far away at this point.

On another note, I totally agree with Mr. Carter leading the project.
I’m glad that 3d view and Magaremoto are thinking properly about what ‘legal’ issues need to be seen to.
I’ve got all sorts of graphical ideas spinning around right now. Don’t feel as if I’m pushing any sort of direction if I link up some visual ideas. If I turn out something beneficial, it’ll be worth it. Opinions on my tastes don’t bother me
...that much! lol

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
3dView - 03 January 2013 08:15 PM

It looks like the story ideas thread is getting taking over by technical items but the conversation is good and creative so no harm. We still need story ideas and I guess for me one question is how high quality is the target. I mean my own thoughts it needs to be somewhat comparable to some of the Blender movies——now that’s a high high bar…...no question. If you have not seen any of these check this out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRsGyueVLvQ

its” Sintel “———and its breathtakingly good.

Now it had some huge funding and obviously some professional designers and artist voice and music etc. but is this level obtainable given the resources?  Or is this maybe just a little bit beyond our reach. I have not seen here very much character animation on this level nor characters—-even if we used daz content. The environments given enough modeling resources seem like is possible ......I am not even sure the most maxed out carrara settings can get the renders needed to compete although with the right shaders , textures and lighting——-you can probably get close.

wondered what you all thought of how high is high in quality terms do we shoot for.

As to the question about Carrara’s rendering capabilities, I didn’t see anything in there that Carrara couldn’t do except fluid sims. There’s quite a bit of post work and compositing involved in that project to sweeten the look, which is to be expected. I imagine that the same thing would be done in this project.

There were clearly volunteers judging by the smaller scrolling credits, but also there were paid artisans involved as evidenced by the main credits. Meaning for whatever time the production schedule lasted it was their full-time job.

My advice: Get your story, find a couple representative scenes, decide the look, storyboard them and break down the elements and do a test render, a test composite, etc. That way, you’ll get an idea of how to set up your production flow and what is possible with your talent.

Signature 

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  671
Joined  2008-02-22

Happy to be a grunt.  Small tasks, small parts, etc…  3 kids, full time job and not a ton of skill, but willing smile  Assign me to a team if needed.

You could also recruit.  I’ve always thought this guy had a pretty good talent for 3d and animation just on his own, using poser.  (breaking into blender now)  He’s got a bunch of how to videos as well.  I think he may do music as well.  More of an anime look, though…but really, who can resist Aiko.  wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhFKCF3lzkY

Signature 

+800 or so old forum posts, just so you know I’m not a newb!  tongue laugh

Posted: 03 January 2013 09:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

I am hoping that the other Movie thread generates some volunteers. Since I am almost inept with Carrara, I will need a well versed art director to let me know what types of looks are possible.

Sintel is a fantastic visual accomplishment, along with having a fantastic storyline, it does set a very high bar. Carrara is up to it, whether we as a community is up to it remains to be seen but I am very hopeful.

Sintel is quite long, so ideally, we could pull off something of similar quality, just not nearly so long of a movie.

My initial ideas are to approach realism with the look, but again, that could be tossed in favor of a more toon style. Toon style is much faster to render, no need for clever statistical GI and all.

Anyone interested in stepping in as the art director? It pays nothing, guarantees to be a pain in the butt from time to time, and could add a gray hair or two. Buit its for Carrara, so that makes it worth it I think.

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2013 12:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  160
Joined  2008-12-02

Rashad,

I think maybe there needs to be a little more consensus growing of exactly what is going to be attempted before folks might volunteer their time on a complex position like Art Director .( things even like knowing how many folks may be able to work on this make it useful to know etc.)  There really are a number of important topics that have been started but still pretty open.

Also—it might be prudent to have multiple directors. Or at least Leads and Asst. Directors. I imagine that for many folks this is going to be done in hobby time so to expect one person to take on the whole role of art director for instance would seem over bearing and risky for the project itself. Unless there is an unemployed art director in the community but even then is better to have helpers who can rise up if needed .

Signature 

Rich

Favorite items   Cararra   - Modo -    Animation Master-    Houdini

Posted: 04 January 2013 01:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
3dView - 04 January 2013 12:50 AM

Rashad,

I think maybe there needs to be a little more consensus growing of exactly what is going to be attempted before folks might volunteer their time on a complex position like Art Director .( things even like knowing how many folks may be able to work on this make it useful to know etc.)  There really are a number of important topics that have been started but still pretty open.

Also—it might be prudent to have multiple directors. Or at least Leads and Asst. Directors. I imagine that for many folks this is going to be done in hobby time so to expect one person to take on the whole role of art director for instance would seem over bearing and risky for the project itself. Unless there is an unemployed art director in the community but even then is better to have helpers who can rise up if needed .

Agreed totally. That’s why I’m not yet too worried about people volunteering, still too soon to know for sure what the project entails. Surprisingly, in the last few hours I have begun to receive PM’s from interested forum members, so I am hopeful.

I agree as well that having multiple people involved will aid in the chances of the project getting completed.

I think that of we can get at least 10 people involved in scene building, and another 10 or so to help with final rendering, and then 1 or two more to edit and composite…we are looking at our first movie.

As time passes I am getting more excited. This is gonna be so great!

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2013 02:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
0oseven - 03 January 2013 03:06 PM

Copngratulations on a great idea - I mean the Movie Project ! I think it will stimulate those interested in Animation.

There is a lot negative feeling being expressed in the forum about Carrara and Daz support ( and I dont want to start any debates here about that) but a Movie Project would be an excellent way for users to take Carrara foreward and maybe even Daz will sit up and take notice, be proud of what the community has done and support it with the development everyone craves. I like your vision of ” many years of movie projects to come”  as I may not have the skills to contribute right now but maybe in the future.

Presumably there would be someone overseeing and coordinating the project _ how do you see that working out?

I think parameters need specifying too - ie dialogue ?  Would postwork and other software( Daz Studio ? yuk ) be allowed or should it be entirely Carrara ? Personally I think Carrara has enough power to have the entire movie made and rendered in Carrara - naturally a video editing software is needed to composite the final.

Some time ago I thought “Carrara Animation” needed some exposure and made this site   http://animationplayhouse.yolasite.com/ 
Later I broadened things for animation in general but there maybe some useful information there for someone

Sweet! I will investigate that link. In this way you are already proving a help to this project. Much thanks!!!!

Signature 

Posted: 04 January 2013 02:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
3dView - 04 January 2013 12:50 AM

Rashad,

These are great considerations. Monday is far off, between now and then lots of things could be set in motion. I hope that next week we will hear something from Daz, and I am hopeful that they will pave the way for us as much as they can.

However, in the case that they do not, not for lack of interest, but of resources, a good plan B needs to be set up. I will shortly present to the community a breakdown of Plans A and B for consideration. No matter what, this project will not derail once it starts rolling!

Signature 

2 of 14