Digital Art Zone

3 of 10
JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread
Posted: 06 January 2013 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
There are a few mistakes and the posing needs a bit of tweaking but I think its coming along nice.

Would love to get your thoughts.
Image Attachments
trishR1final.jpgTemple-02.jpg

Posted: 06 January 2013 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  633
Joined  2010-02-25
bluemoon - 06 January 2013 04:40 PM
There are a few mistakes and the posing needs a bit of tweaking but I think its coming along nice.

Would love to get your thoughts.

The poses seem good to me.
Maybe in the first render some DOF.
I love the second one.
good work grin
 Signature 

My renders on deviantART http://rendersas.deviantart.com/

Posted: 06 January 2013 05:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7625
Joined  2006-03-19
I agree. The second one is looking really good. It has the perfect amount of DOF.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 06 January 2013 05:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Thanks Sasje, the second one is the new version. The first one I did for my sister a few months ago.

Thanks Frank.
[ Edited: 06 January 2013 05:14 PM by bluemoon ]

Posted: 07 January 2013 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1301
Joined  2004-02-13
OK as promised I added in my example to the first post along with my self evaluation of the original image I chose, going through the steps I posted. smile If anyone has any questions or anything on what I did or why, please let me know smile

Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

Posted: 08 January 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  2012-02-06
Oh, that's cool Ann! The differences are subtle yet profound! To me the earlier one (blue) is a picture of a faerie kissing a dragon, while the newer one (purple) is a picture of a dragon accepting a kiss from a faerie.

I prefer many things about the purple one...the lighting, more complex color scheme, the DOF, how the skin and scale surfaces look, the sparkles, and of course the dragon's pose and expression. I must say I prefer the girl's pose and expression, especially the open eyes, from the blue one. It definitely gives a different emotional impact, more interesting to me*, though maybe not the one you were going for. smile I see trust in her eyes, but also a little uncertainty; hesitation (perhaps enhanced by the greater distance between them, versus the newer image). In the newer one, she kiss is definitely "more sweet and loving and softer" as you say.

I like them both a great deal, and on balance I do prefer the remake.

Got my first project picked out...see below for my original, done back in April. It was my first attempt at making "art" (rather than an "illustration") from a render, and at the time I was quite pleased with it, but now I see lots of room for improvement. I was looking to emulate the style of painters like John William Waterhouse and the Pre-Rafaelites. Like ZamuelNow, I have many potential candidates to choose among! I hope I have time for a second entry, because I have one picked out for that, too... smile

Bluemoon, your latest work looks great! The original was quite good too, but the new one is much better.

*Which is not to say that I find "sweet. loving, and soft" uninteresting!
[ Edited: 08 January 2013 02:40 PM by Scott-Livingston ]
Image Attachments
ultimate_victoria_post_5.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 08 January 2013 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-09-27
sasje
you are right it is like the sun is right over her head and washing any shadow she may have, there is nothing on the tank to show she is standing there, and I was thinking about putting more in the background, maybe a mountain or some smaller hover tanks flying over to give it some depth. and not have it be so bright, what do you think ?
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_03.png

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-25
dune411412 - 08 January 2013 07:46 PM
sasje
you are right it is like the sun is right over her head and washing any shadow she may have, there is nothing on the tank to show she is standing there, and I was thinking about putting more in the background, maybe a mountain or some smaller hover tanks flying over to give it some depth. and not have it be so bright, what do you think ?

Sounds good. smile
now try to fix the pose a little bit
- the person a little closer the tank.
- left leg a little more forward and stand a little bit more on tip toes .
- bend the abdomen little bit, that the upper body is more straighten
-Then fix the arms, neck and head.

Signature 

Posted: 09 January 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-02-08
Well, that was fun. Just got done with a massive project: reinstalling Studio and all my content, with pesky work getting in the way of what's really important. But everything, program and content, works better now, and I'm ready to take on my re-imagining of my old image. If I make it through work, that is. wink
@dune: Every time I look at your image, I think it would look pretty neat if the girl were leaning back against the tank, kind of draped across it.
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 09 January 2013 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-11-21
I don't know if i'm even posting to the right place -here goes-

I have only started in 3d art since getting Studo 4.5 in Nov 2012. Have spent my life trying to do other 2d art but never had the time to really do anything satisfactory.

So, found this contest and couldn't resist. Have tried to follow your suggestions and below is what I have learned over the last week or so.

Got Daz's Victoria 4.2 at Christmas and used the Bonnie face and texture from Von aka Winter200 and tried to dress her up in free clothes and hair from Arah3D and textures from Fictionalbookshelf. Saw the contest and knew I would need a background and thought the light I had put on her face lent itself well to FluffyKats free Flames.jpg since I dont have many props to build a scene with yet.

In the second snippet your syggestions on posing and lighting were taken to heart and since I love the trillions of positions that the hand can assume I have fallen in love with hand poses (again)- I decided to try and use 2 lights to highlight the left and right palms to give secondary focal points along with the dragon texture. That left no light on her face which suggested this whole thing in the first palce, so used a spotlight. Tried a couple of fill lights but deleted them.

In the 'Demo only' stuff I knew that DOF was going to be needed in post work with blurring the jpg and sharpening the main subjet. Also couldn't get the gloves to fit so did some 2d fix up along with a single sharp dot on the dress from the final .png render

You will see in the final image (which I know will be torn apart) I tried to follow the 9 squares you talk about - Flame 1, high lighted actual main subject 2, dead space with column as eye stopper 3, Hands & Dragon Texture in 4-5-6, even though it dosen;t look important the dark stairs, hem line and initials in 7 - 8 -9 all serve a similar purpose of forcing the viewers eye back to the 'paper airplanes' in the skirt, her hands, the dragon and ultimately the main subject {which my wife referred to as a Zeta-Jones person Maybe} {I laughingly refer to it as *A Study in Red and Orange* joking) Okay,below is the matted {yet unframed} conclusion to a lifetime of art observation and appreciation. I want to hear all you have to say to help me improve.
Image Attachments
Goth_Dress_0_-_the_beginning.JPGTempered_Goth_-_aka_-_A_Study_in_Red_and_Orange_-_Lighting_snippet.jpgFlames_DEMO_combined_.jpgGoth_Dress_Matted.jpg

Posted: 10 January 2013 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2010-07-01
I can't believe how much I have learned! This activity has really shown me just how far I have come as well. As I have endured several crashes and a new computer seince starting my adventures in 3d, I had to look back at my old images saves to photobucket for this challenge. .
I managed to find one I was working on that showed a lot of promise, even tho I didn't know about postwork, lighting, nor a lot of other things. These challenges have brought me a long ways.
While the final image is still a WIP, and I have yet to do any kind of postwork, here is what I have so far:
Image Attachments
reality_sceneVamp.pngrerun2.png

Posted: 10 January 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3522
Joined  2012-02-06
I think lighting will make or break my image, but I want to concentrate on everything else first, so I loaded the old scene file, stripped the lights out*, adjusted the render settings, and rendered it. Other than that, this is exactly how I left it in April. Hey, I guess I'd already learned about depth-of-field, shaders, and kitbashing! I'm actually surprised the DOF looks as good as it does, since I didn't learn how to set it up properly until the summer...must have been beginner's luck, I guess.

Render time for the image below was 23 minutes, even without lights. To speed that up for future test renders, I may temporarily turn off DOF and use lower quality render settings.

I think the major areas to focus on are the composition, expression and pose, and the texture stretching on the Elven Cape. I'll propably also make some high-level changes to the set in order to facilitate a better composition.

I hope the mild butt nudity is okay...I know the rules on that have changed. Let me know, mods, if I need to cover her up a bit more.

*For the original, I had rendered several times using different light presets, then mixed the resulting images together in GIMP. The result is complex and interesting, but not, I think, entirely successful.
[ Edited: 10 January 2013 07:43 AM by Scott-Livingston ]
Image Attachments
ultimatevictoria2a.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 10 January 2013 10:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  134
Joined  2005-02-08
Getting closer to what I have in mind... tweaked some things this morning and uploaded the newer version. I'm liking this much more than the original so far. Feedback is welcome.
[ Edited: 11 January 2013 07:48 AM by sithkitten ]
Image Attachments
leena3sm.jpg
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 11 January 2013 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-25
pfmnelson2012 - 09 January 2013 11:02 PM
I don't know if i'm even posting to the right place -here goes-

I have only started in 3d art since getting Studo 4.5 in Nov 2012. Have spent my life trying to do other 2d art but never had the time to really do anything satisfactory.

So, found this contest and couldn't resist. Have tried to follow your suggestions and below is what I have learned over the last week or so.

Got Daz's Victoria 4.2 at Christmas and used the Bonnie face and texture from Von aka Winter200 and tried to dress her up in free clothes and hair from Arah3D and textures from Fictionalbookshelf. Saw the contest and knew I would need a background and thought the light I had put on her face lent itself well to FluffyKats free Flames.jpg since I dont have many props to build a scene with yet.

In the second snippet your syggestions on posing and lighting were taken to heart and since I love the trillions of positions that the hand can assume I have fallen in love with hand poses (again)- I decided to try and use 2 lights to highlight the left and right palms to give secondary focal points along with the dragon texture. That left no light on her face which suggested this whole thing in the first palce, so used a spotlight. Tried a couple of fill lights but deleted them.

In the 'Demo only' stuff I knew that DOF was going to be needed in post work with blurring the jpg and sharpening the main subjet. Also couldn't get the gloves to fit so did some 2d fix up along with a single sharp dot on the dress from the final .png render

You will see in the final image (which I know will be torn apart) I tried to follow the 9 squares you talk about - Flame 1, high lighted actual main subject 2, dead space with column as eye stopper 3, Hands & Dragon Texture in 4-5-6, even though it dosen;t look important the dark stairs, hem line and initials in 7 - 8 -9 all serve a similar purpose of forcing the viewers eye back to the 'paper airplanes' in the skirt, her hands, the dragon and ultimately the main subject {which my wife referred to as a Zeta-Jones person Maybe} {I laughingly refer to it as *A Study in Red and Orange* joking) Okay,below is the matted {yet unframed} conclusion to a lifetime of art observation and appreciation. I want to hear all you have to say to help me improve.

I like the picture, the background, the color, the light glow on her face.
Nice work.
Only one thing, is it the meaning that she is floating / flying in the air?
 Signature 

Posted: 11 January 2013 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-25
sweetluv40 - 10 January 2013 01:30 AM
I can't believe how much I have learned! This activity has really shown me just how far I have come as well. As I have endured several crashes and a new computer seince starting my adventures in 3d, I had to look back at my old images saves to photobucket for this challenge. .
I managed to find one I was working on that showed a lot of promise, even tho I didn't know about postwork, lighting, nor a lot of other things. These challenges have brought me a long ways.
While the final image is still a WIP, and I have yet to do any kind of postwork, here is what I have so far:

Very nice picture, love the blue color.
I don’t know if you used DOF in your picture, if not maybe you can play around with it and see if you like it.

Signature 

3 of 10