Digital Art Zone

8 of 10
JANUARY 2013 New Users Contest WIP Thread
Posted: 25 January 2013 08:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 106 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  140
Joined  2008-05-09
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I finally managed to put the Mass Effect Trilogy down long enough to work on my entry. I'm planning on re-rendering it as I didn't realize until it finished that I had the UE quality settings pretty low (I was doing some quick test renders last night and forgot to turn the quality settings back up...)

First one is the original, second one is the improved version.
Image Attachments
Phantasie_(Original).jpgPhantasie_Redux_WIP.jpg
 Signature 

My deviantArt Gallery

Posted: 26 January 2013 01:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 107 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3644
Joined  2012-02-06
@Cyonix: with one exception, I like your new one a lot more than the original, which was already quite nice. smile That exception is the way the light falls on her face.

Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.
Image Attachments
ultimatevictoria2g.jpg
 Signature 

Community Volunteer
Monthly New User Contests!

My tutorials and FAQs | My Gallery | My Render Thread
Visit my world… Tornalia.com | http://scottlivingston.deviantart.com

Posted: 26 January 2013 01:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 108 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7784
Joined  2006-03-19
I really like that one Scott
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Forgotten Temple Ruins*****  

Posted: 26 January 2013 01:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 109 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7784
Joined  2006-03-19
Cyonix - 25 January 2013 08:22 AM
A NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

I finally managed to put the Mass Effect Trilogy down long enough to work on my entry. I'm planning on re-rendering it as I didn't realize until it finished that I had the UE quality settings pretty low (I was doing some quick test renders last night and forgot to turn the quality settings back up...)

First one is the original, second one is the improved version.

Cyonix that look great.
 Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Forgotten Temple Ruins*****  

Posted: 26 January 2013 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 110 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  177
Joined  2012-08-07
Scott-Livingston - 26 January 2013 01:07 PM
Here's my latest. Back to no postwork.

That looks great Scott, I have tried uber Environment only once and couldn't get it to work as I hoped. It took forever to render as well.

Posted: 27 January 2013 07:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 111 ]
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2012-11-21
Hi, all

Been down with the flu for the last 11 days. Did this for fun an hour a day etc. Didn't get to the small animation I had planned but will someday - just him raising his hand and her shaking her head.

Caption was to read
"But she looks so much like you, Cath!"
"I don't know Michael, all I see is that our hair is a bit alike."

The five acrylics in the next room are my attempts a few years ago at following along with TV art instructor Jerry Yarnell - so the compositions are his, brush(mess) is mine.

Like I said I did this as a fun extra to my actual entry in the competition of "Goth Dress Anchored". There are so many things wrong with this that you have to eniee meanee to start - Comment if you wish.

Just want to say Great Work to all the competitors and thanks to the moderators!
Image Attachments
The_Goth_Dress_Gallery.jpg

Posted: 27 January 2013 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 112 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  70
Joined  2011-09-27
just a note on this months contest it was nice to go back and see the work I did in the first contest I entered and then improve on that.
(I hope)
this was a good contest and I look forward to having more like this. I enjoyed it.

by the way thanks to all of you for the help
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/media/3d/badges/images/badges/badge_03.png

Posted: 28 January 2013 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 113 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  136
Joined  2005-02-08
Hello everyone, I've crawled back out from under my rock! I didn't even have a valid excuse to vanish, like the flu. I just had one of those dead spots in my creativity where no ideas would come out at all. But I did creative things all day yesterday, and I feel better now. grin

Scott-Livingston - 20 January 2013 01:22 PM

There's something called UberVolume, but I'm not sure how to use it myself! If I figure it out, I'll let you know...

This is an alternative that comes highly recommended, but I don't own it: http://www.daz3d.com/atmospheric-effects-cameras-for-daz-studio

UberVolume I've heard of, but never even gone close to. Those atmospheric effects cameras I went out and bought after my frustrating experience with the massive Bryce crashes, but I haven't quite got the hang of 'em yet. They look like a lot of fun, though. Think I might get very ambitious and work on a second entry, one that also desperately needs atmospheric effects. And better lighting. And depth of field... You get the picture. smile
 Signature 

the Evil Kitten Project

Posted: 28 January 2013 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 114 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  584
Joined  2012-11-06
I guess this would be my entry for the Past and Present contest.

The original (first image) was airbrushed nearly 20 years ago. The new one was made entirely with DAZ and a few post tweaks in Photoshop.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

[ Edited: 28 January 2013 06:38 PM by Geminii23 ]
Image Attachments
Down-the-Toilet_v1-1600.jpgDown-the-Toilet-1600.jpg
 Signature 

Get updates on the progress of Capsized the Movie!

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 28 January 2013 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 115 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Geminii23 - 28 January 2013 06:34 PM

The original (first image) was airbrushed nearly 20 years ago. The new one was made entirely with DAZ and a few post tweaks in Photoshop.

I love it, very impressive! grin Only minor issue I see is that his hair appears to be growing through/out of the tentacle thing that's grabbing his head.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 29 January 2013 05:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 116 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06
Scott-Livingston - 28 January 2013 08:51 PM

I love it, very impressive! grin Only minor issue I see is that his hair appears to be growing through/out of the tentacle thing that's grabbing his head.

I think I see what you mean. I was trying to make the hair look like it is being smashed and pushed from the tentacle/claw placement but DAZ didn't make this part easy for me. It would be awesome if we could get hair that had some sort of collision detection to it. I will need to bring this into Photoshop to see if I can fix it that way. I also really have struggled with the right camera angle to match the one from the original.
 Signature 

“Just because I don’t know the meaning of my art, does not mean it has no meaning.” - Salvador Dali

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 29 January 2013 07:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 117 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2012-02-06
Ugh, I finally got the lighting pretty much to my satisfaction, but after saving and re-opening, it was rendering much too bright. Took me a while to figure out that at some point while adding additional cameras, I must have clicked the "new direct light" button without realizing it! Now that I've figured that out, I'm back on track...will post a new update tonight or tomorrow.
 Signature 

Community Volunteer

Posted: 29 January 2013 11:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 118 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-11-06
Scott-Livingston - 28 January 2013 08:51 PM

So here is the latest version. Tried cleaning up the hair problem in Photoshop. Not sure how well this turned out though.

Image Attachments
Down-the-Toilet-1600-2.jpg
 Signature 

My Video Portfolio
My Art Portfolio
My Music

Posted: 30 January 2013 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 119 ]
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2012-12-12
Is this entry for the Past and Present contest?
I gess...

First image is DOF rendering works by post.
And second image is new rendering works(change texture, lighting..) by post (retouching hair, eyelashes..etc).

I try to represent the golden time mood of light coming from windows. But difficult...

Any reply would be glad. Good day~
[ Edited: 30 January 2013 03:14 AM by ud09 ]
Image Attachments
01.jpg02.jpg
 Signature 

VYPO Studio.

Posted: 30 January 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 120 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1330
Joined  2004-02-13
Anyone wishing to post their images to be entered in to the actual contest, please be sure you put your entries in this thread before the contest closes 01/31/2012..Any images not in that thread won't be considered when judging:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14447/

Just thought I would mention to remind everyone since the contest closes tomorrow evening smile
 Signature 

Aundrea M Anderson (ann0314) (ARTCollaborations) (ARTCollab)
DAZ3D Community Volunteer Program Manager
DAZ3D PA/Customer Relations Liaison
Co-Owner of ARTCollaborations

8 of 10