Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
Carrara why do you love it and what do you use it for….
Posted: 01 January 2013 11:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Well, I’m not sure I “love” it, but it’s a great program.

Y’know, it’s not like I kiss my computer screen when the startup splash screen comes up or anything….  smile

Seriously, Carrara is a very well designed program. VERY well designed. I’ve used, at one time or other, just about all of the major apps (though I can’t recall ever using 3DSMax…), and Carrara is one of those that just clicks with me.

The interface makes sense, the universal manipulators are brilliant, it has enough built-in scenes and stuff and presets that if you want to throw a quick concept together you’ve got just about all you need.

But by far, the HUGEST benefit is that you can quickly and easily render figures. Characters. Peoples. Dogs. Cats. Zombies. You name it.

And until you’ve seen how incredibly difficult that is to do in most of the other apps, including the big boy apps, you can’t really appreciate how nice it is to be able to just drag ‘n drop a character, spin some sliders, and you have your character. That’s huge. Absolutely huge. And there’s only a few other apps that can do that.

I tried Poser, and I hate it. Kept having software problems, program wouldn’t start, never figured out the shading room or whatever it’s called. Gave up completely on that. Too cluttered, not enough room to see your OGL scene view, and a whole list of complaints

And D|S and I just never got along. Never figured out what was in the various rooms, the content management thing and I always argued, never got along, and I never figured it out. And that renderer took forever as I recall. Maybe longer.

But Carrara and I just click. Heck, just the universal manipulators, and the simple navigation buttons for camera view translate and rotate are wonderful. Yeah, some others have it, but too many don’t.

And no keyboard shortcuts needed, unless you want them. Unlike other apps that assume you’re sitting at a desk with both hands free, working with only one app and doing it 24 hours a day so you remember all those shortcuts. And that to move the camera left you need to stand on one foot, cluck like a chicken, then hit the CTRL-ALT-SHIFT-RT CTRL-BACKSPACE-DEL buttons in that exact order and hold them for 12.3 seconds. Great. There was a time when I needed that, but not now. With Carrara you can do pretty much everything with your right hand on the mouse. 

Carrara is great for sitting in a recliner, beer on the table next to you, laptop resting on the arm of the recliner, right hand on the mouse, and your left hand is free to raise and lower the mug as needed.

And the only limitation that really bugs me is the lack of dynamic cloth. And yeah, there are some annoyances that drive me insane, but compared to most other apps those are relatively minor.

Posted: 02 January 2013 12:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1894
Joined  2011-07-31

About face in the last hour.  Wow!  Would it be possible for you to make a 4 minute video using nothing but Carrara, augmented by a dash of live-action footage?

Carrara has everything I was looking for, including documentation that is easy for a beginner like me to understand.

Signature 

AtticAnne in Austin TX

FREE GANGSTER RPG GAME

Posted: 02 January 2013 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04
Steve K - 01 January 2013 08:48 PM

<edited snip> I spend my 3D time making short animations with purchased content (characters, props, clothing, etc.) .  You can see some of the short animations at my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveK77536

Very cool, indeed!
Couldn’t find “Blown Away”, however.
Keep it up.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 02 January 2013 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  783
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 02 January 2013 08:12 AM
Steve K - 01 January 2013 08:48 PM

<edited snip> I spend my 3D time making short animations with purchased content (characters, props, clothing, etc.) .  You can see some of the short animations at my YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/SteveK77536

Very cool, indeed!
Couldn’t find “Blown Away”, however.
Keep it up.

Thanks, I enjoy making them.  At the bottom of the list of videos is a link “Load 7 More Videos”.  “Blown Away” is the next to last one.

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
JoeMamma2000 - 01 January 2013 11:48 PM

... And no keyboard shortcuts needed, unless you want them.  ...

I generally agree with your post.  But I did notice some nice hot keys while watching a Carrara training video.  I couldn’t find a list in the docs, but here is a downloadable set of reference cards for Carrara and a bunch of other 3D programs:

http://tinyurl.com/atpl284

Posted: 02 January 2013 10:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
AtticAnne - 02 January 2013 12:07 AM

About face in the last hour.  Wow!  Would it be possible for you to make a 4 minute video using nothing but Carrara, augmented by a dash of live-action footage?

Carrara has everything I was looking for, including documentation that is easy for a beginner like me to understand.

I’m not sure who your question is addressed to, but the answer is a qualified yes.  Carrara can easily generate the animated video in a standard format (e.g. *.avi ).  It also has some sound capability (e.g. dialogue that can be lip synced with Mimic), but I generally add sound effects, music, titles, etc. in the video editor (in my case, Magix’ “Movie Edit Pro MX”).  The video editor can also, of course, blend in live action video, the only snag being making it all look the same.  I think the animated clips will usually look “sharper” than the live action.

Carrara documentation is OK, but it is out of date (I think the manual if for V.7, although V.8 has been out a long time).  Also, like any manual, it shows “what” the features do, but not necessarily “why” or “when” you might use them.  I’ve gotten a lot out of the Infinite Skills training videos available from DAZ:

http://www.daz3d.com/infinite-skills-inc-

A little pricey, but I got one during the half price sale a while back.  Phil Wilkes does a nice job in these videos, IMHO, going through actual projects rather than repeating the manual.

Posted: 02 January 2013 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6151
Joined  2007-12-04

lynda.com also has a rather extensive training session set, but is for Carrara 5. Even still, it is a very useful intro to Carrara.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 15 January 2013 10:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7655
Joined  2009-07-13

scaring the one hour photo processors at K-Mart

Image Attachments
2013_01_16_14_53_43_612.jpg
 Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2003-11-28

Blooming heck…...

Posted: 16 January 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7655
Joined  2009-07-13

you shocked by me or my render? gulp

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 16 January 2013 02:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-28

Neither Wendy the are BOTH wonderful, my pure sad and pathetic British “Benny Hill” side took over… I Apologies….. red face

Posted: 16 January 2013 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-28

Actually a sensible question Wendy I assume you take the Carrara Images on and SD card or something to your photomart here in the UK we have only “Boots” the chemist which takes Memory Cards or CD, anyways I assume you render a large file, what sort of res do you go for.

Thanks

Pete

Posted: 16 January 2013 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15935
Joined  2003-10-09

Is that a fact ?  It is a shhame if it is, as I had some of my stuff printed out at a local hight street shop, not Boots.  Ok it was some time back, and one of those that printed out real fillum for you as well.  I guess it has probably gone now, as even Jessops has keeled over and can’t compete in the digital age.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 16 January 2013 02:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2003-11-28

Here in minus 3 degrees going apparently to -12 overnight Derbyshire big surprise, we have only one independent photography shop in the main town that I personally know of, and Boots is the only one that does large prints while you wait or return in an hour, the UK High street has been decimated over the past few years and in the past 6 weeks alone 4 stores have gone bust, Comet, HMV (might be saved, hmmmm), Blockbuster and the Sony Center. downer

I have a A3 printer but a Photo print might be an option to look at, last time I tried a photo print was back in my Amiga Days and the quality was quiet poor by today’s standards.

Posted: 16 January 2013 03:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15935
Joined  2003-10-09

Ah,  I see your problem.  When I last had stuff done I was still living in the Vicinity of London.  Up here on this Welsh mountain I would have to go down to town to see if I could find anything like it nowadays.

Sounds like you are going to be even colder tonight than we are.  They say -6 or -7 tonight in the colder spots.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        September Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

2 of 4