2 of 2
Download speed from DAZ oddity
Posted: 01 January 2013 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
Richard Haseltine - 01 January 2013 06:27 AM

I would doubt that Cloudflare is an issue, directly, since as far as I know the download links are unique - though I suppose they must ultimately point to one of a few copies of the files on the servers.

It seems to be more of the actual route it takes to get to those files…and there’s a very good chance that if you are using webmail and click on the link in your email that the route is going, not, from your machine to the file, like if you click on the link in your account, but, rather, going from where the email is (whatever Google or Yahoo server you are connected to at the moment).  Which, depending where you live, could very easily put you through a much different route to the actual file.

I just download the Garbage Pile…twice.  The first was the link in confirmation email and it was chugging along at an average speed of about 220k…until it quit at 115 MB…

So, I then went to the account download page.  It finished and was an average speed of about 225k…not much of a difference.

The link from the email was fairly steady holding around 220 the whole time, until it dropped the connection and quit (resume is NOT enabled on these files, so that’s one of the problems…a small ‘burp’ and the file doesn’t complete downloading.  The link from my account page was going up to over 300k and down to around 100k…with the average being 225, at the end.  That’s another thing that points to two different servers…

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

2 of 2