Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
SNAKE-ability in Carrara, can anyone figure this out?
Posted: 29 December 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  0

Hi Fenric,
Thank you for the heads up, and thank you for responding personally.

In the event that I am able to uninstall 8.5, and reinstall 8.1, do you feel that I
would be able to achieve what I am after with ERC tools?

It is important to note that “snaking” is the motion, but not the actual object. Ultimately, I am after
animating a catheter in a tortuous vessel. Distortions in the diameter of the catheter must be miniscule. I was not able to view the worm example in action, but
a worm is a fairly forgiving structure, compared to a catheter.

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  263
Joined  2009-03-09

8.1 with ERC can help you do what you want, yes.  Setting it up will not be trivial, as you are asking for a significantly non-trivial result.  The ultimate problem is that you want a combination of following a path, and a delayed response from each step.  ERC provides a delay function, but you will have to set it up for each segment: if you have a hundred segments, then you will have to configure a hundred delays - and you might have to tweak them several times.

I don’t want you to spend money (and time) that you don’t need to, so I have to ask:

If you have 8.5, have you tried using soft-body physics instead?  It might be easier to get your item to react the way you want using that, though you will be at the mercy of the simulation.  Keyframe the head of the catheter, and attach the rest of the “tail” to it, then let physics do the work?  I don’t know exactly how you would set that up, but it might be worth a try.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Joined  0

I have uploaded my latest attempt to :

http://www.protovu.com/snaketest/

Perhaps someone would like to take a crack at improving it. Seems I have figured out some basics, but I am getting kinking in the vertex model during the travel.

thank you

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5937
Joined  2006-08-27
protovu - 29 December 2012 06:14 PM

Hi Fenric,
Thank you for the heads up, and thank you for responding personally.

In the event that I am able to uninstall 8.5, and reinstall 8.1, do you feel that I
would be able to achieve what I am after with ERC tools?

It is important to note that “snaking” is the motion, but not the actual object. Ultimately, I am after
animating a catheter in a tortuous vessel. Distortions in the diameter of the catheter must be miniscule. I was not able to view the worm example in action, but
a worm is a fairly forgiving structure, compared to a catheter.

One is a meat tube and the other a rubberized tube. wink Unless it’s segmented metal or something. What kind of component shapes are you looking at?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Joined  0

A rubber tube could work. I am working with a vertex cylinder, basically.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6408
Joined  2007-12-04

See what I mean? Fenric (and those who follow him) is a good breed!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Fenric - 29 December 2012 06:51 PM

8.1 with ERC can help you do what you want, yes.  Setting it up will not be trivial, as you are asking for a significantly non-trivial result.  The ultimate problem is that you want a combination of following a path, and a delayed response from each step.  ERC provides a delay function, but you will have to set it up for each segment: if you have a hundred segments, then you will have to configure a hundred delays - and you might have to tweak them several times.

I don’t want you to spend money (and time) that you don’t need to, so I have to ask:

If you have 8.5, have you tried using soft-body physics instead?  It might be easier to get your item to react the way you want using that, though you will be at the mercy of the simulation.  Keyframe the head of the catheter, and attach the rest of the “tail” to it, then let physics do the work?  I don’t know exactly how you would set that up, but it might be worth a try.

Hi Fenric,
Thank you again for the response. I have not tried soft-body physics. I will look into it. 
Thankfully, this question is not tied to any current project…..but it will come up again.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5937
Joined  2006-08-27

If you decide to go with a rigged object, the more polys the better (within reason). If you use too few, the object won’t bend nicely, it’ll kink and bulge. The trade off is that if it’s too high poly, your machine could get sluggish when manipulating the rigged object. You’ll want to experiment a bit to see what works.

There’s a couple other things to help keep your model from distorting. Weight painting can help with mesh distortions in your rigged object. You could also limit the movement constraints so that the object can only bend to the point just before it distorts. If you’re still getting distortions, maybe you need more bones in the rig.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 30 December 2012 02:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1485
Joined  2008-01-01

I apologize if I didn’t fully understand your question - are you looking for something like this?

http://youtu.be/FoFLuZRbjaA

Posted: 30 December 2012 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  67
Joined  2005-12-23

Posted: 30 December 2012 09:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22

If it where me I would use HEXAGON! . there one and use the line tools to make your twisting Spiral PATH the Add a surface function to it. like a circle or whatever. THEN what is cool it that if your are using restricted or full DYNAMICS you can adjust the LINE path..

NOW in Carrara I had to model a bunch of NERVES in a HAND to illustrate a carpal tunnel animation.

I use a very long tapering CONE that had many many segment THEN attached a bones rig. THEN bent it all around the other structures needed.

Then when happy I EXPORTED the NREVE object so it was a FIXED object, import in back in.. What was cool I did in Carrara was then I could use a BONES rig to manipulate the rest of the hand that included the nerves..

HERE is the resuts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPmB_PrmGE

Posted: 30 December 2012 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Rank
Joined  0
Roygee - 30 December 2012 02:10 AM

I apologize if I didn’t fully understand your question - are you looking for something like this?

http://youtu.be/FoFLuZRbjaA

Hi Roygee,
That, I can do.
What I am after is the same idea, but with a nice smooth tube, snaking along a path.

Posted: 30 December 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Rank
Joined  0
RichardChaos - 30 December 2012 09:53 AM

If it where me I would use HEXAGON! . there one and use the line tools to make your twisting Spiral PATH the Add a surface function to it. like a circle or whatever. THEN what is cool it that if your are using restricted or full DYNAMICS you can adjust the LINE path..

NOW in Carrara I had to model a bunch of NERVES in a HAND to illustrate a carpal tunnel animation.

I use a very long tapering CONE that had many many segment THEN attached a bones rig. THEN bent it all around the other structures needed.

Then when happy I EXPORTED the NREVE object so it was a FIXED object, import in back in.. What was cool I did in Carrara was then I could use a BONES rig to manipulate the rest of the hand that included the nerves..

HERE is the resuts..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPPmB_PrmGE

Thank you, RichardChaos.
Not sure I understand the relationship to what I am after.

2 of 2