Digital Art Zone

2 of 13
Carrara Portrait Lighting
Posted: 31 August 2012 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1825
Joined  2004-08-24

I have only purchased Carraracters Delphinia and Elite textures Maya, that have Carrara support and include one car scene with cams and lights, but have not had the time to work with them yet.

Delphinia has an essential video tutorial that shows the trick of multipass rendering, to tweak the highlights in PhotoShop. Did not see this mentioned above, guessing it is a common trick for the pros.]

The Elite set and lights by Ringo, should give you a good starting point.
DT’s Delphinia and all of Dimension Theory’s Videos will also help whether you’re focus is on portrait lighting, general scene lighting, or Global illumination.

Post production always helps,. but that’s a different subject smile

Hope it helps smile

Posted: 05 September 2012 03:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  401
Joined  2012-04-01

Bumping the thread, it slowed down too soon.
I got busy with the Cyborg M4 before finishing the portrait renders.

Anyways, here is a free lighting rig by evilproducer that I think that I understand, not sure where the looping butterflies are though.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/49996/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-7-Studio-scene

Image Attachments
81406.png81407.png
 Signature 

Everything about Carrara: http://www.carraracafe.com/

Posted: 05 September 2012 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2007-10-15

Personally, I generally steer clear of a “standard” 3-point lighting scheme (which is anything but standard). In this case I used a softbox because I wanted the broad highlights on the eyeglasses and the dress, as well as good highlights on the rhinestone bracelets.

However, I caution you to take anything I say with a grain of salt, because as Roy so accurately stated, in all my years here I’ve never shown any indication that I know what I’m talking about. Not an attack, ‘cuz that’s not his style. Just a fact. Thanks, Roy.

Image Attachments
PortraitLighting.jpg

Posted: 05 September 2012 07:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2208
Joined  2008-01-28
3drendero - 05 September 2012 03:08 PM

Bumping the thread, it slowed down too soon.
I got busy with the Cyborg M4 before finishing the portrait renders.

Anyways, here is a free lighting rig by evilproducer that I think that I understand, not sure where the looping butterflies are though.
http://www.sharecg.com/v/49996/view/7/Material-and-Shader/Carrara-7-Studio-scene

nice work very soft, thanks for the link

Signature 

http://andrewfinnie.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 05 September 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

JoeMamma wrote

However, I caution you to take anything I say with a grain of salt, because as Roy so accurately stated, in all my years here I’ve never shown any indication that I know what I’m talking about. Not an attack, ‘cuz that’s not his style. Just a fact. Thanks, Roy.

My bold.

Joemamma, Roygee actually wrote

All theory is ultimately judged by empirical observation - in other words, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  After a few years of coming to this forum, I have yet to see anything done by you that makes me think - “wow, this guy really knows what he’s on about, maybe his advice is worth taking to heart”.

Show and tell, mate, earn some creds.

Just so you know. There is no reason to be offended by what Roygee wrote.

As for your image of the girl. Compositionally I admire jhow the roundness of the breasts relate to the soft roundness of the bubblegum which is, in turn, ties in with the colour of the ribbon and, in a way, this gives you an organic whole, that, not only stimualtes the mind, it gives you a satisfying feeling of admiration. On the other hand the tension in both the breasts and the bubble gum indicate that, at any time, there could be a minor explosion in either, which leaves the viewer with a feeling of dynamic dynamnism….

But seriously,  it’s a fine image - is there a crease in that inner elbow perhaps?

Signature 

Posted: 05 September 2012 08:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2007-10-15

Not offended, just continually astonished at the unending hypocrisy on this forum. People who demand that others are sweet and polite, but at the same time they have no qualms about being incredibly rude. If I had said anything remotely similar, there would be a posse of a dozen people weilding torches and pitchforks after me. But here, not only is everyone strangely silent, but they in fact stick up for him. Go freakin’ figure. Guys who wouldn’t know a good image if it walked up and tapped them on the shoulder, pronouncing judgement on stuff they don’t even begin to understand. 

And I know it’s fun to mock me and my advice, Mr. Wax, but why not try to act like you preach to others? And yeah, in a normal forum of adult people I might see the humor in what you said, but with you guys it’s real hard to separate the childish attacks from the well-meaning joking. 

Posted: 05 September 2012 08:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

Hi Joemamma, well yes, I am having a friendly joke with you. It’‘s probably a cultural thing. Herein Australia we make jokes with people, it helps judge their metal and lets you decide what kind of person thaye are by how they react. There are people who choose to be offended, or to choose to not see the funny side of things. Then there are people who cannot see the funny side of things, and then there are people who see the funny side of things that are not funny .. well you know what I mean perhaps , and if you don’t I could spend all day dividing the human race in to all those different people and I would still leave out one kind, and they of course would choose to be offended that I had not put them in.

Roygee, like a few posters I have seen, had asked you for a demonstration of your abilities. He obviously hadn’t had the pleasure of seeing your best work and was curious to see an example.

On the other hand, if you want to say that Roygee said (about yourself) that “I’ve never shown any indication that I know what I’m talking about”  when in fact he said something entirely different, then most people would feel you need to apologise to him.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 10:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2006-08-21
head wax - 05 September 2012 08:04 PM

JoeMamma wrote

My bold.

Joemamma, Roygee actually wrote

All theory is ultimately judged by empirical observation - in other words, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.  After a few years of coming to this forum, I have yet to see anything done by you that makes me think - “wow, this guy really knows what he’s on about, maybe his advice is worth taking to heart”.

Show and tell, mate, earn some creds.

Just so you know. There is no reason to be offended by what Roygee wrote.

Over here in America we say, “Put up or shut up.”

While your theory is, for the most part, sound, your delivery of said theory makes it very hard to accept. And what few images you’ve posted aren’t really stellar. You’re supposed to be ‘in the industry’ and you’re always going on at us for having such thin skins. Your responses to criticism show you to have the thinnest skin of all. You left a while back, supposedly washing your hands of us hobbiests. Now, you’re back criticizing us, mocking us and just plain making an ass of yourself. Why are you here swimming with us bottom feeders? You obviously don’t use Carrara. By your own admission, it’s NOT a professional level program. Your attitude towards us lowly hobbiest is condescending at best. You often say WE are the ones making fun of you and treating you badly. For us it is the other way around. If you want us to listen to you and take what you say seriously and give you the respect you obviously feel you deserve, then give us the same.

And “Put up or shut up.”

I apologize to the OP for the above rant. Joe just caught me in a bad mood. I’ll go take my meds now and all will be right with the world.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01

Someone mentioned a using a softbox, how is that done in Carrara?
Is there anything else besides the softbox?

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2012-04-01
3DAGE - 31 August 2012 11:37 AM

I have only purchased Carraracters Delphinia and Elite textures Maya, that have Carrara support and include one car scene with cams and lights, but have not had the time to work with them yet.

Delphinia has an essential video tutorial that shows the trick of multipass rendering, to tweak the highlights in PhotoShop. Did not see this mentioned above, guessing it is a common trick for the pros.]

DT’s Delphinia and all of Dimension Theory’s Videos will also help whether you’re focus is on portrait lighting, general scene lighting, or Global illumination.

Hope it helps smile

Thank you for the help. Not sure what you mean with “lights by Ringo”?
There is a freebie in the forum with a broken link, is that the one and do you have it?

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  398
Joined  2006-08-21
3drendero - 06 September 2012 12:06 PM
3DAGE - 31 August 2012 11:37 AM

Hope it helps smile

Thank you for the help. Not sure what you mean with “lights by Ringo”?
There is a freebie in the forum with a broken link, is that the one and do you have it?

I think some of the light scenes included in the Carrara content were created by Ringo. They would be a good place to start in regards to improving/learning about lighting in Carrara.

Signature 

CG and Me

Posted: 06 September 2012 04:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  544
Joined  2003-10-09

Ringo used to moderate the Yahoo Carrara group years ago. He still sells some very nice shaders here and 3D Paint Brushes for Carrara.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/catalogsearch/result/?q=RingoMonfort

Posted: 06 September 2012 05:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6073
Joined  2006-08-27

Here’s a link that explains a soft box:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_box

There are ways to do it in Carrara. The easiest way is to set up a plane, add a color in the glow channel of the shader and turn on Indirect light. It’s slow, but it looks nice.

The other way is to set up a light box. I created a cube ion the vertex modeler and set up shading domains so that one side of the cube could be set up with it’s own shader and the other five sides would be another shader. The single sided domain uses a shader with translucency, and the other domain uses a flat black shader. I stuck in a single bulb light at it’s default settings with the exception of soft shadows. Those I set with a light radius the same size as the box.

The first sample is the Indirect Light method. The second sample is the light box with no soft shadows. The third sample is the light box with soft shadows applied to the bulb and the fourth sample is just the bare bulb. If you want any more info. about the shader settings or light settings, just ask!

Image Attachments
Indirect_Ami.jpgAMI-no_soft_shadows.jpgAmi-Soft_shadows.jpgAmi-No_box.jpg
 Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 06 September 2012 09:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

So…the light bulb is outside the box?
Pardon my stupid question!

I’ve been playing with planes and anything glows.
I place a strongeranything glows one on one side at say 45 degrees to the figure and then a fill anything glows on the other side,
Then another fill on the camera itself (with anything glows once more)

Have you experimented with this method?
If so, which would you recommend?

I’m lighting multi figure scenes so trying to avoid dominant shadows.

Signature 

Posted: 06 September 2012 09:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-28

booksbydavid wrote :

I apologize to the OP for the above rant. Joe just caught me in a bad mood. I’ll go take my meds now and all will be right with the world.

feel free to share the meds, I need some as well…. I have for a while smile

Signature 

2 of 13