Digital Art Zone

2 of 3
Errant edge and vertex
Posted: 29 December 2012 04:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Yeah, redo it, it’s not worth the hassle.

And when you redo it, I suggest you start with a simple cylinder in Hex, pinch and poke it as needed to form the curves and the cap, etc. But don’t add or delete any point/polys. You should be able to make that simple object without any fancy operations.

Then export it to Carrara, and it should be fine.

Posted: 29 December 2012 04:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
dot_bat - 29 December 2012 03:59 PM

it is only there when i hide selections. .

Which is why I suggested it might be a visibility issue, not a modelling issue. Are you absolutely certain you have EVERYTHING un-hidden when you’re doing this?????

Posted: 29 December 2012 04:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  239
Joined  2006-01-21
dot_bat - 29 December 2012 03:59 PM

did what you suggested but that point or face persists. it is only there when i hide selections. the cursor does change to select face even if i have it set to select points only. when i go to uv it this is what happens. see image. Im going to chalk it up to poor modeling and just redo it. the model looks fine to me in hex. what thjat is in the uv room is way beyond me. multiple vertices occupying the same space. i selected the vertex and it selects the whole model as though the whole model inhabits the same vertex space.

That’s your UV view?

It looks like you have all of your object occupying a single point in UV space. That’s what UV unwrapping is for, to change that.
Try to start from a decently mapped model (a cylinder as Joe suggested) then modify the model as needed. The UV will be easier to deal with when it comes to doing the final mapping of the model.

By the way, while technically in use as ‘modelling parlance’, the terms ‘single point polygon’ and ‘two point polygon’ are very definite oxymorons. (I think I’ve only read this in lightwave tutorials when referring to unconnected points and edges). Then again, that’s the way technical language goes sometimes.

Signature 

http://roguepilot.deviantart.com/
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/browse.php?username=RoguePilot
http://www.ShareCG.com/pf/full_uploads.php?pf_user_name=RoguePilot

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
RoguePilot - 29 December 2012 04:41 PM

By the way, while technically in use as ‘modelling parlance’, the terms ‘single point polygon’ and ‘two point polygon’ are very definite oxymorons. (I think I’ve only read this in lightwave tutorials when referring to unconnected points and edges). Then again, that’s the way technical language goes sometimes.

Not sure what point you’re trying to make, or if there is one…  smile

But those are not oxymorons, they’re ‘features’. At least if applied and used correctly, they can be very useful. And there’s no rule in life that says that polygons must have 3 or more vertices. Well, maybe Andy has a rule, but in terms of modellers and renderers, there ain’t one.

My foggy memory is that they were developed ages ago by Allen Hastings and his partner (I forget his name) when developing Lightwave. I may be wrong on that, but anyway…

And I think they found their way into Modo, and I’m sure some others. Not sure if Carrara or Hex freak out when presented with them…

Anyway, those apps specifically allow you to generate polygons with less than three vertices. And what’s most useful about it is that they will also show up in renders. Why is that useful? Well, imagine you want to make a sky full of stars. You merely populate the sky with single vertex polygons, and voila, you have stars. And if you want to generate, say, needles on a pine tree? Just populate the tree with two point polys and voila, you have pine needles.

There are many other uses, but that’s just a sample. They’re good, but they can also cause problems, such as being a challenge when working in a modeller that might not display them clearly, or, like Carrara, doesn’t tell you (via a Statistics-type display) if they even exist.

And, once again, it’s one of those billions of things you’ll never learn if all you read is the Carrara manual.

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  281
Joined  0

RoguePilot, your right I didn’t set my mapping to cylindrical, aligned in z but its still weird and that diagonal must be the issue that got me on this. where does it come from? other than my modeling. thanx for everybody’s time and effort on this

Image Attachments
mapped.png

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
dot_bat - 29 December 2012 05:36 PM

RoguePilot, your right I didn’t set my mapping to cylindrical, aligned in z but its still weird and that diagonal must be the issue that got me on this. where does it come from? other than my modeling. thanx for everybody’s time and effort on this

I think that’s a bit like asking:

dot_bat: “My car won’t start, anyone know what the problem could be?”

RoguePilot: “You mean you’re actually using blue vinyl seat covers in that car???”

I don’t think that UV mapping has anything to do with it. Especially if you’re wondering about Carrara’s UV mapping, which, IMO, is pretty poor.

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-21
JoeMamma2000 - 29 December 2012 06:14 PM
dot_bat - 29 December 2012 05:36 PM

I think that’s a bit like asking:

dot_bat: “My car won’t start, anyone know what the problem could be?”

RoguePilot: “You mean you’re actually using blue vinyl seat covers in that car???”

I don’t think that UV mapping has anything to do with it. Especially if you’re wondering about Carrara’s UV mapping, which, IMO, is pretty poor.

Joe, you really don’t pay attention do you.
I was responding to his question (implied) as to why selecting a single point in the UV selected the whole model.
Why are you arguing by analogy all of a sudden? I thought you didn’t accept that as a valid form of discussion?

Dot_bat

The artefact in the UV is an issue in Carrara and can be eliminated by switching to custom UV mapping, unfortunately it won’t fix the modelling issues but it can help you find them.

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-21
JoeMamma2000 - 29 December 2012 05:28 PM
RoguePilot - 29 December 2012 04:41 PM

Not sure what point you’re trying to make, or if there is one…  smile

But those are not oxymorons, they’re ‘features’. At least if applied and used correctly, they can be very useful. And there’s no rule in life that says that polygons must have 3 or more vertices. Well, maybe Andy has a rule, but in terms of modellers and renderers, there ain’t one.

My foggy memory is that they were developed ages ago by Allen Hastings and his partner (I forget his name) when developing Lightwave. I may be wrong on that, but anyway…

And I think they found their way into Modo, and I’m sure some others. Not sure if Carrara or Hex freak out when presented with them…

Anyway, those apps specifically allow you to generate polygons with less than three vertices. And what’s most useful about it is that they will also show up in renders. Why is that useful? Well, imagine you want to make a sky full of stars. You merely populate the sky with single vertex polygons, and voila, you have stars. And if you want to generate, say, needles on a pine tree? Just populate the tree with two point polys and voila, you have pine needles.

There are many other uses, but that’s just a sample. They’re good, but they can also cause problems, such as being a challenge when working in a modeller that might not display them clearly, or, like Carrara, doesn’t tell you (via a Statistics-type display) if they even exist.

And, once again, it’s one of those billions of things you’ll never learn if all you read is the Carrara manual.

Joe, to use one of your phrases, try to look beyond what you know as being the absolute truth please.
Look up the word ‘oxymoron’ and then apply that to ‘real world’ geometry terms.
I’m not questioning or denying the usefulness of the feature in lightwave, but the naming is self contradictory (probably by humorous intention of the developer). That addition to language is not common so to have someone not know it is not any real indication of anything apart from a familiarity with lightwave.

The odd thing about this argument here is that I wasn’t being particularly imflammatory about anything.

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

And there’s no rule in life that says that polygons must have 3 or more vertices.

A line has two points,. A Triangle has three points a quad or square has four points.

Joe,. look up the definition of “Poly”

it means “many”.  . therefore,. it’s not singular.

examples:  Polynesia, Polygamy, Polygon etc.. 

It’s not my rule,. it’s those pesky Greeks.

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03
3DAGE - 30 December 2012 12:43 PM

Hence my brain implosion when I heard the term “single point polygon.” Whatever that may be conceptually, it is not a polygon. In Greece, or anywhere else.  raspberry

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
3DAGE - 30 December 2012 12:43 PM

And there’s no rule in life that says that polygons must have 3 or more vertices.

A line has two points,. A Triangle has three points a quad or square has four points.

Joe,. look up the definition of “Poly”

examples:  Polynesia, Polygamy, Polygon etc.. 

It’s not my rule,. it’s those pesky Greeks.

Good lord, Andy, give it a rest. Accept that you might not know everything. A one or two point polygon is what’s called a “degenerate” form of a polygon. Also called a “digon”, I believe. They exist, therefore there’s no rule against them existing. Maybe they don’t exist in your world, but they exist outside your world.

Stop trying to play your little games of “prove Joe wrong” and accept that you can learn things on occasion. Even from someone you dislike.

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

(deleted…dual post)

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Oh, and I just looked it up for you and your buddy. A single point polygon is called, surprisingly, a “monogon”. Also called a “henagon”.

And, BTW, since Rogue is an astrophysicist or whatever, I’m sure he’ll be glad to explain all the mathematics behind them. Now that he knows about them…..

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Rank
Joined  2006-01-21
JoeMamma2000 - 30 December 2012 03:20 PM

Oh, and I just looked it up for you and your buddy. A single point polygon is called, surprisingly, a “monogon”. Also called a “henagon”.

And, BTW, since Rogue is an astrophysicist or whatever, I’m sure he’ll be glad to explain all the mathematics behind them. Now that he knows about them…..

They’re a mathematical device and have no existence in euclidian space.

I understand that you despise me for mentioning my background in science, that’s why I avoided in the past. I choose not to insult your expertise.

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
JoeMamma2000 - 30 December 2012 03:20 PM

And people wonder why I switched from a dual major…math/engineering to just engineering just one class shy of a minor in math.  It took me 20 yrs to recover from the brain implosion caused by those ‘advanced’ math classes (and I’m still not sure I’m fully recovered).

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

2 of 3