Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
Being put to sleep slooowly, until dead! 
Posted: 28 December 2012 08:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  435
Joined  2010-09-22

Please dont get me wrong….. I LOVE CARRARA! Always have, even with HER untamed anger, and unpredictable attitude but that thing she does with her VERTEXS… MAN I need a cold shower.

ANYWAY yes I am one of those veterans from waaaaay back! I got into carrara when it was RAY DREAM! AH THE GOOD OLD DAYS!

Man I thought my head would EXPLODED when RAY DREAM/carrara got soft shadows! It was over the top!

AND yes. I had no idea MAYA was $3,700 when I asked about it. But soon as I did I went looking to buy it BUT not at that price tag!

When it was announced Ray Dream,carrara was being bought by DAZ I got a bad feeling and a pain in my tummy! Those feelings and that pain is still there.

Many have said, and I do NOT agree but am coming closer to it, that DAZ is a content seller and MAY entertain/humor its fan with an occasional software upgrade.

ANy company serious about it’s 3D Programs would of combined HEX and CARRARA and maybe BRYCE and DS a long time along and gone at it full tilt since.

IF DAZ would do that they would more than combined Carrara hex and maybe the other two they would have a unique, powerful, irresistible product the 3d world would still be talking about.

DAZ is simply not interested in doing that!

Its like having a half built 1968 Z-28 Camaro, a half built 72 Dodge Charger and a half built 62 Mustang in the garage and all your interested in doing is selling Chevy, Mopar and Ford Merchandise all day long!

Posted: 28 December 2012 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  0

I too love Carrara, but also understand the Daz commitment to get Genisis ironed out first. I have had to put Carrara aside for my own commitments, therefore, I can wait for updates.
I have no desire for Genesis & I do have a usable version of Carrara 8 pro in hand.
I really don’t see Daz dropping Carrara….I’m sure they know it’s a great, affordable 3d solution. As I stated in the other thread…it would just be nice to let valued customers know that development may be delayed, of course it will upset some users, but no word at all may be worse.

Posted: 28 December 2012 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22
McGuiver - 28 December 2012 09:07 PM

I too love Carrara, but also understand the Daz commitment to get Genisis ironed out first. I have had to put Carrara aside for my own commitments, therefore, I can wait for updates.
I have no desire for Genesis & I do have a usable version of Carrara 8 pro in hand.
I really don’t see Daz dropping Carrara….I’m sure they know it’s a great, affordable 3d solution. As I stated in the other thread…it would just be nice to let valued customers know that development may be delayed, of course it will upset some users, but no word at all may be worse.

DITTO! Any information from DAZ about the progress of the next carrara release is held closer to the vest than the most top secret government programs! SORRY it’s not that big a deal to the rest of the world DAZ just us.

Posted: 28 December 2012 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  142
Joined  2005-05-21
Kevin Sanderson - 28 December 2012 05:57 PM
evilproducer - 28 December 2012 03:29 PM

Just a reminder to people that seem to be freaking out about DAZ’s commitment to Carrara: When I first started lurking here, I was using C5 (I had skipped 6). C7 was just around the corner, and DAZ had announced a new version of D/S. OMG! The world was coming to an end! Carrara was going to be dropped! Then C7 came out and all was good, except for the bugs. C7.2 came out and squashed a bunch of bugs and all was even better. Then DAZ announced a new version of D/S and it all started again! Carrara was going to be killed and there would never be a C8. Ironically, the people using D/S were jealous of DAZ’s attention to Carrara when C8 was announced.

I remember it that way as well. Much wringing of hands about nothing.

And ultimately, it’s just software and business. My “office” is littered with software that mutated into other packages, died, stopped working, whatever. My body doesn’t work right, so I’m not going to obsess much over software, there are much bigger issues to deal with. I really am increasingly a curmudgeon, I guess.

Posted: 28 December 2012 10:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  193
Joined  2007-03-03

I absolutely love Carrara.  I still say it has the potential to be one of the best 3D suites available if DAZ would throw a little more time and money behind it.  The ability to use premade content should not be underestimated.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 28 December 2012 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8426
Joined  2009-07-13

well, I am still promoting it http://forum.reallusion.com/FindPost143954.aspx

Signature 

WARNING do not click tongue rolleye what video horrors will be seen if you do cannot be unseen.
my render thread
        never forget
A Drows Walk
Jaderail is at it again

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  345
Joined  2009-03-17

Well if Carrara is dead I guess I just paid $171 for a corpse (Pro version). That blowout sale was just too good to resist. Heck they even chucked in M4 and V4 with all their morphs and bits to say we love you too man.

The thing is though DAZ has always done right by me. Sure they are inclined to take their time with some things but I do trust them enough to believe they won’t sell me something they don’t plan on supporting.

Now if I can only figure out how to make it play nice with Genesis and geografting. The textures are all messed up on the geografted parts for some reason. And Genesis figures takes a bit long to load but I guess all of these problems will be fixed. Eventually…. wink

Signature 

My life is a symphony nearing a crescendo. There have been too many segues in this piece and I long for a caesura.

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-09-22

Carrara is sort of like one of my children. On of the good ones and I want to see it grow blossom and be all it can be and Like hating one of my kids spouse because they are not good for them….. I blame DAZ for holding Carrara BACK…

Carrara is a great wonderful program but it could be so much more. Its like watching one of your kids or friends that has endless skills and talents all day long…. flipping burgers at McDes, when they are in their 30s.

I have said this many times but here it is again…

If DAZ would roll HEXAGON into carrara in place of it’s extremely limited Vertex Molder carrara now uses. And maybe some kind of more sophisticated “GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL molder” such as BRYCE. NOW that would be a better mouse trap. ANd they coudln’t keep it in stock

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-05-09
RichardChaos - 29 December 2012 10:08 AM

Carrara is sort of like one of my children. On of the good ones and I want to see it grow blossom and be all it can be and Like hating one of my kids spouse because they are not good for them….. I blame DAZ for holding Carrara BACK…

Carrara is a great wonderful program but it could be so much more. Its like watching one of your kids or friends that has endless skills and talents all day long…. flipping burgers at McDes, when they are in their 30s.

I have said this many times but here it is again…

If DAZ would roll HEXAGON into carrara in place of it’s extremely limited Vertex Molder carrara now uses. And maybe some kind of more sophisticated “GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL molder” such as BRYCE. NOW that would be a better mouse trap. ANd they coudln’t keep it in stock

You are right on brother. Go with modules! One interface, one asset management system and browser.
Carrara would have no competition!

Posted: 29 December 2012 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  268
Joined  2009-03-09

I’ll chime in with some Maya information (2012 version, 64-bit)

I have found it quite unstable - I crash Maya far more often than I crash Carrara.  The Hypershade room in particular is ridiculously easy to crash (straight to desktop, no hope of saving), but I also took out the UV mapper twice.  Some of the trouble might be that it doesn’t like the “game” level video card (GeForce) I have, because I get weird OpenGL errors in the log sometimes.  It may be expecting a workstation level card (Quatro or FireGL).

Polygon modelling is clunky at best and I hate it: there is way too much opening of sub-windows to do simple tasks. I’d much rather use Hexagon for modelling, despite all it’s crash-prone issues.

UV Mapping is pretty easy, though, and has some nifty features.

You can very easily get DAZ/Poser stuff into Maya… if you have Carrara :D   Export as FBX and it goes right in.  You can even do very limited re-posing (switch the joint method from linear to dual quaternion, and don’t expect to adjust things too much)

Rendering has a lot more options, include hardware-assisted.  You do have to be careful when shading to pick features that are available in the renderer that you want to use.

Signature 

Come visit my store!

http://www.daz3d.com/fenric
http://fenric.com/wordpress/store/

Posted: 29 December 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04
Harry Dresden - 29 December 2012 07:50 AM

Well if Carrara is dead I guess I just paid $171 for a corpse (Pro version). That blowout sale was just too good to resist. Heck they even chucked in M4 and V4 with all their morphs and bits to say we love you too man.

The thing is though DAZ has always done right by me. Sure they are inclined to take their time with some things but I do trust them enough to believe they won’t sell me something they don’t plan on supporting.

You got it right, my friend! And I feel that Daz3d will ALWAYS treat us that way, as they have right from the day they’ve first opened their virtual doors! Bravo!

Harry Dresden - 29 December 2012 07:50 AM

Now if I can only figure out how to make it play nice with Genesis and geografting. The textures are all messed up on the geografted parts for some reason. And Genesis figures takes a bit long to load but I guess all of these problems will be fixed. Eventually…. wink

Rather than repeating everything, check out our advice on this thread, where we’ve helped out another new Genesis in Carrara 8.5beta family member. smile

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6469
Joined  2007-12-04
Fenric - 29 December 2012 12:08 PM

I’ll chime in with some Maya information (2012 version, 64-bit)

I have found it quite unstable - I crash Maya far more often than I crash Carrara.  The Hypershade room in particular is ridiculously easy to crash (straight to desktop, no hope of saving), but I also took out the UV mapper twice.  Some of the trouble might be that it doesn’t like the “game” level video card (GeForce) I have, because I get weird OpenGL errors in the log sometimes.  It may be expecting a workstation level card (Quatro or FireGL).

Which is another $3,000 + to add to the setup!

Fenric - 29 December 2012 12:08 PM

Polygon modelling is clunky at best and I hate it: there is way too much opening of sub-windows to do simple tasks. I’d much rather use Hexagon for modelling, despite all it’s crash-prone issues.

...and “I” have been preferring Carrara to Hexagon, if that’s anything to offer about that!
You see, even that you can find ways of ‘Importing’ Daz/Poser stuff into these “Big Boys”, I really don’t like using them as such.

Carrara is the true “Big Boy” software if you want to purchase many of your assets as pre-rigged Poser/DS style figures. It truly is the only beast of its kind!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

2 of 2