Digital Art Zone

Questions about changes
Posted: 27 December 2012 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2005-01-30

Hello,
So I _use_ to really be into the DAZ/Poser world—even learned how to do clothing maps etc.—but I’ve been gone, and recently started missing it.  Today I looked into why I stopped, I got a windows 7 computer (and a newborn) and worked on Poser 6.  And yes, newborns, windows 7 and P6 are not compatible so I just stopped.

The newborn is now two, I still have windows 7 and no money to buy P9 (let alone the icky reviews I’ve heard)—so I’m contemplating *shiver* going to the dark side and trying out DAZ Studio, which I understand is completely different (annoyingly so) but worth it in the long run. 

Here’s my question: will the newest DAZ Studio allow me to use all my old stuff (yes, I realize it will be an issue of DLing the other files instead of poser ones) but will I be able to use all the M3/V3 stuff I got or will I be forced to start from scratch and lose what I did have? How far back are the old files compatible?  Keeping in mind I’m not a computer whiz.

Thanks much!

Posted: 27 December 2012 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1880
Joined  2005-12-31

Here’s my question: will the newest DAZ Studio allow me to use all my old stuff (yes, I realize it will be an issue of DLing the other files instead of poser ones) but will I be able to use all the M3/V3 stuff I got or will I be forced to start from scratch and lose what I did have? How far back are the old files compatible?

Yes m3/v3 are still usable in studio 4.5 as well as anything for them. You may have to make surface adjustments to get a good look with things that have surface settings optimized for poser only. As far as I know the vast majority of files going back can be used though you may find that some of them are just such a pain or so out of date that you will not want too.

Posted: 27 December 2012 06:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2742
Joined  2003-12-06

And you will have to watch out for Poser dynamic cloth items and Poser dynamic hair — these are done very differently in DAZ|Studio, and none of the Poser stuff will be useable.

Signature 

Gone to Vegas to play poker. Back when I run out of clothes.—Your Muse.

Posted: 27 December 2012 06:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16403
Joined  2009-01-22

Also know that only the Newer Content will be Smart Content. All the OLDer content will be found in the Content Library in the Poser Section.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt