1 of 100
Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3
Posted: 27 December 2012 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17059
Joined  2003-10-09

Part 2 was here

I got to play with one of the Christmas freebies I downloaded.

I am sure David, or someone would set it up much better than I did, but it was great to get Bryce christmas freebies from someone other than David or Horo.

THey are still available for a few hours longer http://www.francemi.net/ravyn.htm

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2011-09-25

@chohole:  That is a nice looking lamp.  I did download two lamps from your link, but the download for three structures I liked froze not to long into the download.  I mainly wanted them for study, to learn how they were made, so it’s not that important I couldn’t download them.  I may try later.

@Dave:  Oops, I thought I had patched that hole.  Seems more of my ignorance leaked out.  Will definitely try a different brand of patching material.  Still, you do nice work.

@eireann:  That is a very good looking tunnel/tube(?).

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 27 December 2012 01:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Sorry about the problem you are having with the downloads Guss.  Some are getting them with no problems, some seem to have problems. Alisa did ask people to respect that she sometimes has bandwidth problems. They have changed hosts now, but even on the old host I am afraid that the popularity of the chohole site, which used to be hosted there, did bring Francemi to it’s knees twice, which is why I am hosted elsewhere now.  I guess Alisa had underestimated how popular these downloads would be, as they are mostly all in only OBJ and OBP formats.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge

Posted: 27 December 2012 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3825
Joined  2004-10-01

Very nice lamp! I had a look at the site as well. Nice models, indeed. Thanks for posting the link.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 27 December 2012 03:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3055
Joined  2004-10-25

Oh nice lamp indeed.  I also like the other one further down the page.  wink

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 27 December 2012 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  296
Joined  2010-02-02

Not posted anything for ages so I thought I’d post this. Still been looking
in though, seen some excellent images lately from everyone.
This is all the components from my first submission built up in to a complete piston and bearing.
Used an HDRI for the lighting and background image.

I’m struggling to understand the time it was taking to render though.
Bryce told me it was 7 hrs 56 mins. That was on Christmas eve when I started rendering.

I left it on overnight and by morning it had only done 24%. I left it on all Christmas day
and night, when I looked on Boxing day it had only done 56%.

I finally stopped the render process today @ 62%.

The render settings were Premium Quality, Soft Shadows, 144 Rays Per Pixel, and Maximum Ray Depth was set to 6.

This image was only done with Regular (Normal AA) and it took lest than an hour,  but the difference is really not noticeable.

Image Attachments
Pistons1.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/1819
http://stuartbassett0.wix.com/mybrycework

Posted: 27 December 2012 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2690
Joined  2004-07-06

From this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/14058/

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHG4GbdMpCU

Using this http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering (which is presently on offer wink

Render time 7 and a half hours (due to using premium effects TA rendering).  You’ll need to dig out your red and cyan 3D glasses to really appreciate what is going on though - also, click on the image to view full sized.

Nice work Stuart!  Working out what particular render mode to take advantage of is an art in itself.  As a rule of thumb, the more reflective objects you have in your scene, the less sophisticated the render mode and lighting set up you need to fool the eye.

Image Attachments
Landscape_lake_v5_3D.jpg
 Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 27 December 2012 07:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-02

Thanks David.
I know I have a pair of those glasses somewhere, just can’t find them, not giving up though.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2012 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1781
Joined  2011-09-25

@chohole:  I don’t know what was going on chohole.  Download would always stop at a certain percentage downloaded.  I decided to switch to IE to see if it made a difference.  It didn’t.  But what I discovered, using IE, was if I Paused the download, then Resumed, the download completed.  Unfortunately I discovered this to late in the evening and lost out downloading a couple I would like to have had.

@Stuart:  That image is really good.  Like the work you do.

@David:  The mountains in your 3D are terrific, but there appears to be something amiss with the boat and woman.  It’s as though both are out of phase with the rest of the image.  Either that or my bad eyes are worse than I realize.

Signature 

If you constantly look backward, it’s guaranteed you’ll run into something on your forward journey.
My Gallery Page: GussNemo’s Efforts

Posted: 28 December 2012 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2690
Joined  2004-07-06

Jamie, some images I can’t resolve for some reason - at least at first anyway - sometimes the answer is to either alter the size of the image or the viewing distance.  When I set the scenes up they are on a monitor about an arms length in front of me and it’s a wide screen format something like 22 inches diagonally.  The display resolution is HD 1920 pixels across and the image is whatever pixels across it is.  Of course you could still have this identical viewing set up but our eyes my vary and the colour quality of the filters may vary.  So always this kind of anaglyph is a tricky proposition.  Thanks for the feedback!

Signature 

that Bryce Tutorials Info and this Products made by Horo and myself and a link to my gallery at DAZ 3D

Posted: 28 December 2012 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1775
Joined  2007-12-10

Sorry that my first contribution is just some variation of where I left off in the previous thread.

I seem to be stuck on trying out different colourways on this Harley V-Rod model.
I’m rendering a version with a naked woman sprawled on the bike at the moment, but I won’t be able to post that one when it’s done. smile

Image Attachments
LimeVRod.jpgNightRod.jpg
 Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 28 December 2012 05:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2010-02-18

Stuart…as always love your works.

Just a query (and not only to yourself, but others, too), is using the Premium/Soft Shadows..etc., always the best case? Yes, these settings always seem to produce excellent results from past works I’ve seen here, however, I really don’t think they are necessary, unless one is producing works for professional ends and means.

I’ve only once used these settings, and while they looked better, I recall thinking that I could easily have went with the default settings, with only a tweek on the shadows’ value. This shadow-softening issue I think is a problem sometimes, as while setting the value to 100 %, a lot of detail - the curve of a hip, the sharpness of an edge etc., - can be lost because-so.

I wonder, then, is using the Premium/Soft shadow etc., settings (and others as recommended) always necessary; as for these forum purposes in showing works,  a lot of computer of time, and other wasteful resources could be avoided for us Brycers.

David…mountains work great, but the boat and girl are really out of synce (3D-wise). What is she doing with here leg - make-shift fishing rod? smile

Savage…loving the hogs (any Suzukis - ah, good times - revving their way to you?) smile

Jay

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-02

Thanks GussNemo I appreciate your comments.

@Jamahoney: Thanks for the kind comment.  I think a lot of the time trial and error play a big part in getting a good render.
I don’t think we always need the highest quality settings to get a high quality image, and it does take up
a lot of time rendering part of the image, changing settings, re-rendering etc. I also noticed that with some materials and textures changing settings a lot doesn’t always produce much of a change in the actual image.
It’s still good to experiment though.

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1775
Joined  2007-12-10
Jamahoney - 28 December 2012 05:11 AM

Just a query (and not only to yourself, but others, too), is using the Premium/Soft Shadows..etc., always the best case? Yes, these settings always seem to produce excellent results from past works I’ve seen here, however, I really don’t think they are necessary, unless one is producing works for professional ends and means.

I’ve only once used these settings, and while they looked better, I recall thinking that I could easily have went with the default settings, with only a tweek on the shadows’ value. This shadow-softening issue I think is a problem sometimes, as while setting the value to 100 %, a lot of detail - the curve of a hip, the sharpness of an edge etc., - can be lost because-so.

I wonder, then, is using the Premium/Soft shadow etc., settings (and others as recommended) always necessary; as for these forum purposes in showing works,  a lot of computer of time, and other wasteful resources could be avoided for us Brycers.

It entirely depends on what you want the end result to look like.
There are times when regular render settings are perfect for the desired result, but other times when premium settings are required.
Using TA does need an different way to approach setting up a scene and it’s worth taking the time to do because the result will be more realistic, but if realism isn’t what you’re going for, there may be no point (though there are plenty of ways of using TA to create abstract effects too).

The thing that prevented me from using Bryce a lot in the past was the render times, but over the past 2 years, I’ve got gradually used to waiting a few hours for a render (when Poser can render something similar in 5 minutes, but not to the same level of lighting control).

As long as the end result is what the artist is looking for, it’s not time wasted. smile

Jamahoney - 28 December 2012 05:11 AM

loving the hogs (any Suzukis - ah, good times - revving their way to you?) smile

Thanks.
No, I haven’t seen a Suzuki I like the look of (I never liked the Suzuki Savage with it’s blocky single cylinder engine).
I ride a Kawasaki EN500 myself and would love to find a model of one of those, but it’s an old bike and people who make models seem to prefer doing the V Twin ones not the parallel twins.

Signature 

I’ve got nothing of my own to promote, no models, no tutorials, no website, nothin’, nada, nill, nowt.

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would love to find a model of one of the older Triumphs, as the gang I hung around with back in the day all rode Triumphs.  Bonnevilles, Thunderbirds and such.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/1536/Motorcycle-Article/Memorable-MC-1960-Triumph-Bonneville.aspx

Signature 

Posted: 28 December 2012 06:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  760
Joined  2010-02-18

Thanks, Stuart and Savage.Ah, Kawa’s…didn’t own one, but rode one once - huge pertrol tanks on them I remember. Damn powerful machines, too!

Chohole…ah yes, the old Triumphs were great bikes to ride, too. Herrum, herrum. Of course, you do know that Obama once rode one? Yeah, when he won this year’s second election to the Presidency, his Triumph was heard all over the World wink

Jay

1 of 100