Digital Art Zone

4 of 4
Battle glove (building and rigging stage)
Posted: 12 February 2013 06:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 46 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4963
Joined  2008-03-06

Did you check the actual carpal bone groups, and the forearm, to see if those verts appear empty for those (not just looked at the hand groups)?  I would swear I’ve caught it allowing weights higher than 100 where bulges were concerned.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 47 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1403
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 12 February 2013 06:39 PM

Did you check the actual carpal bone groups, and the forearm, to see if those verts appear empty for those (not just looked at the hand groups)?  I would swear I’ve caught it allowing weights higher than 100 where bulges were concerned.

I hadn’t checked the Forearm, but I did the Carpals. Those are good to go. I just did the Forearm to be sure, everything was fine there too, but i still get minor denting and pulling in the sheath unit along the top and front of the individual sheaths.

Posted: 12 February 2013 06:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 48 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Send me the files, and I’ll look at them for you?  I’ll PM my email address.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 12 February 2013 07:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 49 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 12 February 2013 06:53 PM

Send me the files, and I’ll look at them for you?  I’ll PM my email address.

Sent, though they’re the original “backup” you had me save. I haven’t re-saved the file with the bulge groups removed. I didn’t send the “Morphs” or “UV Sets"folders from the Data folder either. the “Morphs” folder was too big.

Posted: 12 February 2013 09:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 50 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

After looking at the files, It’s still a higher-than-100% issue, mostly with the Index 1 bone’s bulges (not the carpals, as it turns out, or not just those at least).  Manually filling at 0% in the rotations of the index and middle fingers fixed it in my testing.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 12 February 2013 09:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 51 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

I managed to get the morph to load, and it works. Though with the mild distortion still not fixed, the blades are indeed getting distorted as well as the sheath unit. The attached pictures will show the difference and the morph at work The first is how the sheath and blades should look, the second is how they do look when the hand is clenched in a fist.

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-15.jpgGauntlet-16.jpg

Posted: 12 February 2013 10:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 52 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 12 February 2013 09:47 PM

After looking at the files, It’s still a higher-than-100% issue, mostly with the Index 1 bone’s bulges (not the carpals, as it turns out, or not just those at least).  Manually filling at 0% in the rotations of the index and middle fingers fixed it in my testing.

Yep. That fixed it. Also the Ring and Pinky fingers also needed to be zeroed. The main glove is good to go. Any suggestions on how to work the grappling hook and a cable for it? I’ve still got the hook as a separate object because it has to launch out of the barrel with a cable attached behind it, and wrap around objects and “victims” (think Batman’s grappling gun from the movies except built into the gauntlet)

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-17.jpg

Posted: 13 February 2013 04:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 53 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

And here is the first render of my character wearing the gauntlet.

Image Attachments
Night-Warrior-Complete.jpg

Posted: 13 February 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 54 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

He looks like an 80’s SF classic.  He should definitely be named Jack or John and have a bitter ex-wife back in the Colonies.

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 13 February 2013 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 55 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 13 February 2013 11:39 AM

He looks like an 80’s SF classic.  He should definitely be named Jack or John and have a bitter ex-wife back in the Colonies.

Actually, his name is Command Sergeant Major Steven Harrison Panther, US Army 1st Special Forces Operational Detachment-Delta (AKA Delta Force). And yes, I did originally create this guy way back in the ‘80’s.

So, any ideas on the best way to work the grappling hook and a cable?

Posted: 13 February 2013 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 56 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Where on the glove do you want these?

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 13 February 2013 02:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 57 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 13 February 2013 02:32 PM

Where on the glove do you want these?

You can see from the linked image where the hook is launched from. The cable is supposed to “spool” out from the launcher when the hook is fired, wrap around objects like poles, railings, (or people’s necks), and retract again for climbing, repelling, swinging, (or pulling people off of buildings to their untimely demise). Right now I only have the hook as a smart prop parented to the forearm bone of the glove, but have no cable. The parented smart prop is fine for shots of the hook completely retracted, but not really for shots of it in use, not without hand drawing a cable in as post work (something I want to avoid).  As you can see, the launcher is made up of the motorized spool (to retract the cable), the main launcher body, the barrel, and the hook itself (currently a separate prop.

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-08.jpg

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 58 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-06

Oh, ok.  No, that’s not something that’s readily doable in this platform in that way.  Technically your options are:

1.  Postwork.

2.  Try to rig the spooled cable with enough bones to be flexible enough.  Trust me, you don’t want to do this.  Even with EasyPose, which is not accessible to DS4.5 rigging, this was no picnic.

3.  Fully mesh the spooled cable and use morphs to extend and move it.  More doable than #2, but still requires a very dense mesh and a LOT of custom morphs, and then it probably will require very careful positioning vs. victim or object.

There was a script for Poser that could actually generate spools of cable between points in a scene, creating a mesh there instead of having you have to draw it, but I’ve never heard of a DAZ equivalent (if somebody knows of one, please do pipe up, ‘cause I want it too wink ).

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 13 February 2013 03:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 59 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
SickleYield - 13 February 2013 03:00 PM

Oh, ok.  No, that’s not something that’s readily doable in this platform in that way.  Technically your options are:

1.  Postwork.

2.  Try to rig the spooled cable with enough bones to be flexible enough.  Trust me, you don’t want to do this.  Even with EasyPose, which is not accessible to DS4.5 rigging, this was no picnic.

3.  Fully mesh the spooled cable and use morphs to extend and move it.  More doable than #2, but still requires a very dense mesh and a LOT of custom morphs, and then it probably will require very careful positioning vs. victim or object.

There was a script for Poser that could actually generate spools of cable between points in a scene, creating a mesh there instead of having you have to draw it, but I’ve never heard of a DAZ equivalent (if somebody knows of one, please do pipe up, ‘cause I want it too wink ).

Well, on the plus side, I do have a fully rigged cable figure from Most Digital Creations already. It’s just not part of the grappling hook, and would have to be parented. It’s also not the full 100’ of cable that the grappling hook uses. It does have a $#!7 load of bones though, so it’s very flexible, though possibly a bit too thick for my purposes. Right now, though, that’s my only other option.

4 of 4