Digital Art Zone

2 of 4
Battle glove (building and rigging stage)
Posted: 29 December 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1428
Joined  2008-01-01

In every app there is a “world space” and a “local space”.  When you do something like this, it translates along its local space, so regardless of how it’s orientated, it translates correctly.  Otherwise animation would be impossible.  Just tried a mockup and it works fine - also reminded me of why I don’t use that clunky app much!

Something you need to bear in mind if the spikes are all going to be separate blades and not a single entity - you will need to parent them to a “master spike” - any of the spikes will do - or all to a nul object - so that they move in unison and don’t need to be translated singly.

Posted: 30 December 2012 03:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1511
Joined  2011-11-16

Nope. The blades (not spikes) will be a single entity mounted to a base plate which would be what’s connected to the [simulated] actuators used to extend and retract the blades.

Posted: 11 January 2013 02:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well, I began working on the gauntlet over the holidays, and have come pretty far. In fact, I think I’m almost done with modelling (still needs the grappling hook though) I might need to make some adjustments to the blades’ positions, but it’s turning out. I also need to figure out the best place to locate the trigger and rewind buttons for the grappling hook and cable; one that is easily accessible but won’t be accidentally triggered by the wrong movement or getting hit. My only real concern is if there’ll be any deformation the front of the sheaths when his hand is clenched in a fist.

Here’s some WIP pics:

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-01.jpgGauntlet-02.jpgGauntlet-03.jpgGauntlet-04.jpgGauntlet-05.jpg

Posted: 11 January 2013 12:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  205
Joined  2003-10-09

On this one I would make the blade sheat a separate figure that conforms to the glove and the blades would be smartprops parented to the sheat.
This way you will get less deformation on the sheat when the hand is clenched into a fist.

Signature 

Renderosity. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php?vendor=29771

Rendo Freebies. http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?username=ghostman

RDNA http://www.runtimedna.com/Ghostman/

Posted: 11 January 2013 03:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2006-08-19
Ghostman - 11 January 2013 12:28 PM

On this one I would make the blade sheat a separate figure that conforms to the glove and the blades would be smartprops parented to the sheat.
This way you will get less deformation on the sheat when the hand is clenched into a fist.

best way is to make a copy of your work, send the copy to DAZ to parent and conform to your character, and go through some hand poses to identify the problem areas. 

or send a genesis toon with a clenched fist into Hexagon and see how the things line up there..

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/35801

Posted: 11 January 2013 06:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Ghostman - 11 January 2013 12:28 PM

Yeah, my only concern is where the sheath extends over the knuckles a bit. If I can ever figure out applying rigidity, that wouldn’t be an issue.

Posted: 11 January 2013 10:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

If you had it as two separate props, with the sheath parented, but not conformed to the glove and the blades parented to the sheath, they would move where the glove goes, but not deform when the fist is clenched.

Posted: 11 January 2013 10:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Roygee - 11 January 2013 10:23 PM

If you had it as two separate props, with the sheath parented, but not conformed to the glove and the blades parented to the sheath, they would move where the glove goes, but not deform when the fist is clenched.

That’s an option, but not necessarily the most ideal. I haven’t done any test rigging yet, so…

The next step right now is to make the grappling hook, and make it look functional, including whether it should have articulated prongs or not. Once that is done, then I can go and make my UV maps and material zones, and then rig this weapon using whichever method will work best.  Then, of course, there’s the issue of squeezing any sleeves (such as the that of a jacket) the character’s wearing into the gauntlet, but that’s an issue for the piece of clothing, not the gauntlet.

Posted: 14 January 2013 06:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Got the grappling hook modeled and position. I ended up going with a fixed four-pronged design. I tried three prongs, but that placed the vertical axis off center. This made positioning it extremely difficult.

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-06.jpg

Posted: 07 February 2013 05:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Well, I’m UV mapping it now but, I’m having a very curious artifact appear when I try to UV map the sheath, but can’t find where the problem is on the mesh itself. I’m attaching a screen shot of the artifact on the UV map view (after collapsing geometry). I’ve looked for where the geometry might be broken on the mesh, both with smoothing on and off, but can’t find any problems in the mesh. When I clock on any of the lines in the artifact on the UV Map view, nothing “lights up” on the main mesh either.  I could email you the .hex file if you want to see if you can find the problem.

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-07.jpg

Posted: 07 February 2013 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2008-01-01

When I zoom in real close I see a few suspect edges - I don’t think the PM will take a file attachment - suggest you place it in 4Shared or similar and PM me the link.

Posted: 07 February 2013 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
Roygee - 07 February 2013 09:07 PM

When I zoom in real close I see a few suspect edges - I don’t think the PM will take a file attachment - suggest you place it in 4Shared or similar and PM me the link.

Yeah. PM isn’t even allowing me to attach jpg images, which is “supposed” to be allowable up top 250 KB,

Posted: 08 February 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16346
Joined  2003-10-09

Yes that is connected with the inability to change avatars, or even attach one if you don’t have one.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Autumn Bryce Rendering Challenge        October Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 08 February 2013 05:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16
chohole - 08 February 2013 05:29 AM

Yes that is connected with the inability to change avatars, or even attach one if you don’t have one.

Well, I hope it gets fixed soon. I used to be able to upload attachments in PMs.

Posted: 11 February 2013 05:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-11-16

Thanks to Roygee’s assistance, I’ve fixed the error in the claw sheath’s mesh and have completed UV mapping and setting the material zones. I also had to make some adjustments to the shape of the sheath, as well as the position and shape of the claw blades and blade mounts so that they’d fit properly when both extending and retracting. It’s ready for rigging…

I think.

Image Attachments
Gauntlet-08.jpgGauntlet-09.jpg

2 of 4