Digital Art Zone

6 of 18
OK, DAZ, seriously, what’s going on?
Posted: 29 December 2012 11:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  231
Joined  2006-11-17
Garstor - 28 December 2012 09:12 PM

That is because a 32-bit application is limited to a virtual address space of 2 GB.

Depends on the OS. A 32 bit OS can access up to 64GB memory via PAE (Physical Address Extension), but the likes of Micro$oft like to impose limitations. Although on such an OS with PAE, a single 32 bit application would still be limited to 4 GB memory.

On a 64-bit system, a process can address up to 8 TB (8192 GB).

Again, it depends on the OS. Micro$oft intentionally limits accessible memory between its various 64 bit OS. With (for example) Win7 64, its various versions can access different amounts of memory:-

Starter: 8GB
  Home Basic: 8GB
  Home Premium: 16GB
  Professional: 192GB
  Enterprise: 192GB
  Ultimate: 192GB

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5919
Joined  2006-08-27
Rashad Carter - 29 December 2012 11:19 PM

...I mean, now that DS has dynamic hair that looks as good or better than that of Carrara, the relevance of Carrara has fallen even more.

Can you point me to DAZ Studio dynamic hair? I don’t mean to be argumentative or quibble Rashad, but a quick search of DAZ’s store turned up nothing for D/S. There are also many features that Carrara does that D/S can’t. Bryce can also do many things D/S can’t do either.

For what it’s worth, I do agree with you that merging all the software into one would be a bad idea, for many of the reasons you listed. Additionally, there’s no way they could give out free version if they were to do it. That would really kill their content.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  794
Joined  2006-05-26
evilproducer - 30 December 2012 12:35 AM

...I mean, now that DS has dynamic hair that looks as good or better than that of Carrara, the relevance of Carrara has fallen even more.

Can you point me to DAZ Studio dynamic hair? I don’t mean to be argumentative or quibble Rashad, but a quick search of DAZ’s store turned up nothing for D/S. There are also many features that Carrara does that D/S can’t. Bryce can also do many things D/S can’t do either.

For what it’s worth, I do agree with you that merging all the software into one would be a bad idea, for many of the reasons you listed. Additionally, there’s no way they could give out free version if they were to do it. That would really kill their content.

I may indeed stand corrected. I am not certain that the hair is dynamic, but it is hair at least:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/look-at-my-hair

Word on the street is that the 3D Light engine is capable of magnificent things, so long as the features are enabled in some way. So I’m confident that the hair will only improve over time as users gain more sophistication with the tools. I’m also betting that making this hair dynamic is an ability already embedded in the current 3D Light toolset likely waiting only to be unlocked by someone’s clever plug-in released in six months from now. DS has a bright future ahead of it. Obviously.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

Posted: 30 December 2012 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03

Again, it depends on the OS. Micro$oft intentionally limits accessible memory between its various 64 bit OS. With (for example) Win7 64, its various versions can access different amounts of memory:

Starter: 8GB
  Home Basic: 8GB
  Home Premium: 16GB
  Professional: 192GB
  Enterprise: 192GB
  Ultimate: 192GB

True. Forgive me; like my initial, simplistic explanation, I left off these details. I am running Carrara on my server box (Windows Server 2008 R2) so it doesn’t have limits like these (there I am being simplistic again…yes, Server has RAM limits too…)

There aren’t many motherboards out there that will support 192 GB of RAM. Have you priced how much $$$ that kind of RAM would cost? Not even Carrara could put a dent in it either… wink

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 30 December 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

.... the Bryce community which ranges into the millions. And to merge them into a Bryce interface will lose all the DS base, again, ranging in the millions. .

Holy cow !! Really?? Bryce community is in the MILLIONS?? I never would have guessed. Though I guess the devil is in the details. Such as the definition of Bryce community.

I’m sure there are probably millions of people who have downloaded it since it was free, but I have a real hard time believing that there are millions of active users. I would have guessed maybe 1-2 millions downloads for all the free software, and then actual active users of Bryce for more than, say, a month afterward would be more like a fraction of 1% of that. Maybe more like 10’s of thousands. Or less. 

Now I’m sure the number of active D|S users is a whole lot more than that, but I’d be astonished if it was anywhere close to millions. Maybe 100’s of thousands. But millions? Wow.

But that’s just my wild guess based on nothing more than a hunch. If you’ve got some real figures I’d be interested in hearing them. It would make me feel a bit better about DAZ’s prospects as far as software is concerned.

Posted: 30 December 2012 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03
JoeMamma2000 - 30 December 2012 04:45 AM

Holy cow !! Really?? Bryce community is in the MILLIONS?? I never would have guessed.

In Joe’s world, opinion is fact. The Bryce community is actually in the TRILLIONS! raspberry

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 30 December 2012 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

Actually, as much as I hate to, I kinda have to agree with Joe on this one.  I have a really hard time believing there are millions of Bryce users.  I’d like to know where that figure comes from as well.  I’m not going to sneer at it the way Joe did, but that number does seem very high to me.  I’d be surprised if there are more than 2 million D|S users.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 30 December 2012 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2010-09-22
3DAGE - 29 December 2012 07:16 AM

I think it was RichardChaos who suggested merging the disparate programs into one solid package. I support the idea completely;

This shows a complete lack of understanding of how commercial retail and manufacturing works.

Imaging a world where there was only one candy bar,. or any other product.
Not very exiting,...huh.

Retailers, and Manufacturers of any product, want to have as many customers as possible, and in order to do so, they create a “range” of products.,. so that different customers with different needs or likes can CHOOSE which product suit’s their purpose.

That’s why a store will have a choice of candy bar’s, with different flavours or fillings,. more CHOICE, means that more customers are likely to find something which appeals to them. ....and make a purchase.

Some people only want a Modeller,... that’s Hexagon.

some people don’t want to model, ..but want to make landscapes,. That’s Bryce.

Some people want to be able to use premade models and clothing to create images,.. that’s Daz Studio

Some people want to model their own creations and also make landscapes and environments and be able to animate the whole thing and export the results as a film,. ..that’s Carrara

My idea of combining programs into one mighty CARRARA was to replace the WEAK areas carrara already has with more complex and more powerful areas/programs.

Its no news that carraras vertex modeler is just barley good enough and or complex enough to get by. Thats no news.. Tear it out and use a HEXAGON type modeler. Carrara already has a so called MACRO environmental scene modeler that is less than adequate. Tear it out and put BYRCE or a form of BRYCE in there.

This is NOT in my opinion wrapping up 3 progarm in one but IMPROVING areas carrara ALREADY HAS.

LOOK dont even call it “CARRAHEXABRYCE”  Call it Carrara 9

Posted: 30 December 2012 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26

Some people really dont take Bryce seriously. That is a mistake. Bryce has a rich history and it set many of the industry standards we take for granted today. There is a relevant lesson for Carrara users in the history of Bryce. I will explain.

When Daz bought Bryce from Corel, there was an already established user base, worldwide, and it really totals into the millions. Bryce used to be sold on the shelf at computer stores all over the world, and people purchased it and paid good money. Believe it or not I bought my first copy of Bryce 5 from from a Comp USA Store here in NYC and it cost me $325.00 and that was back in 2002 or something like that. Notice how 10 years later we are only on version 7!!!!!! Back during those early days, Bryce was taken much more seriously, it wasnt relegated to the “beginners” realm as it has been now, due to lack of development. Bryce back then was the first app with procedural models allowing Bryce to create scenes with more polygons than any other application, even Maya. But within a few more years the industry would catch up to and surpass Bryce in memory handling, and that has indeed happened. All Bryce needs now is to be 64 bit and then hats are off again. Bryce, like Octane, is built on the idea of procedurals, and it is a brilliant platform.

Anyhow, the problem was not attracting new users, the problem is and was retaining users in the face of lack of development and subsequent lack of features. Is Bryce losing users by the thousands every year?...yes. The userbase is shrinking, not growing. The free giveaway…online…isnt even scratching the surface of the userbase I’m talking about that grew from the days on the shelf as a boxed version. Bryce hasnt been updated once since Lion was released, so no Mac users with the new OS can even run the application, ironic, since Bryce was a Mac application only originally. Lack of Lion support is killing off the userbase at an alarming rate as well. But this is not Bryce’s fault, it is Daz’s fault. No updates in two years…unacceptable.

I know this about the Bryce userbase size because I’m in contact with persons who submitted competing offers to purchase Bryce before Daz got the final bid. The userbase size was a highly relevant statistic to the sale of the rights to the software at the time. That’s as far as I can share in public.

But this isnt a Bryce forum and I dont want to discuss Bryce too much, only to throw in some perspective. Carrara is not in all that different a situation than Bryce is in, insofar as the potential of these apps is not being realized mostly due to the lack of development of the applications at Daz.

Just like Bryce, I’m sure the Carrara user base used to be much larger than it is now. Every day. more Carrara users are being pushed toward other applications due to lack of features in Carrara. When I look at renderosity I rarely see new Carrara renders. When I do see an amazing landscape, it is almost always derived from one of Howie’s scenes. I often look at the Bryce and Vue galleries and I find many times more renders being submitted than I do Carrara renders. Does this mean there are fewer Carrar users than Vue users or Bryce users?

As someone once said in a Renderosity forum; “With Vue, anyone can be Howie Farkes.”

I’ve been thinking about this statement, and I have to admit that there is some truth to it. Yet, I also must admit I think Howie’s scenes look more realistic than most of what I see from the Vue galleries. The difference with the Vue galleries is that lots of people are making Howie-esque type renders, they just dont look quite as good as Howie does it in Carrara. Carrara already has a better plant generator than Vue, by a long shot. But Carrara cannot generate atmospheres on par with Ozone, which is the procedural atmosphere generator Vue uses for Spectral Skies. Vue has excellent clouds and it has excellent global radiance (radiosity). To my mind, if Carrara had a more mature atmosphere generator and clouds, it could take a chunk out of Vue’s niche.But integrating Bryce wont help. Because while Bryce has much better clouds than Carrara, it still has inferior clouds to Vue. And though Bryce has at atmosphere generator, it is very basic and not as accurate as Ozone. So to my mind Carrara gains little nothing except maybe a world class terrain generator…by being merged with Bryce. Carrara doesnt need Bryce at this stage. If anything, they should port the plant generator from Carrara into Bryce, that wopuld give Bryce a boost as the native tree modeler kind of sucks compared to Carrara.

Carrara is a more well rounded app than Vue, I know. Carrara can model, Vue cannot. Still, Vue holds its own and is in constant development. Carrara is usually in development as well, but for features related only to Daz Studio, not in keeping with the industry at large. Just my opinion.

Signature 

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6383
Joined  2007-12-04

I’m inclined to agree with Mr. Carter on this.
I’ve heard of Bryce long before Carrara, by people who don’t even have any inclination towards working with 3d. They heard that I was interested, and pointed me in that direction. Who really cares if “millions” is correct - the number of users is huge. A LOT more than what you’ll find registered in the forums. Some people just aren’t interested in forums - same goes for a fairly large percentage of Carrara users.

A big reason for that latest fact: Look at the Carrara forums sometimes. The entire first page is sometimes filled with nothing but gripes and nothing all that useful to be gained. Who wants to read that when they could be rendering pixels? Really.

My opinion on merging:
Why?
I already have Hexagon and Daz Studio. This gives me a complete circle from Daz Studio to Hexagon, back to Daz Studio and into Carrara. In that loop, wouldn’t everyone who pays money for Carrara want it to end with Carrara? Why try to use Carrara files anywhere else?

For gaming asset creation, why not just get someone to build the output files for Hexagon or even Daz Studio, for that matter, and then use the Gimp or Photoshop for the textures?

Carrara is (and kind of always has been designed to be) an all inclusive way to animate in a 3d atmosphere - its own atmosphere. Since Carrara 5, however, it became much more! It became a powerful version of what it was before, with the added bonus that one could easily import Poser figures and animate those for use in one’s creations. And now you don’t even need to import because Poser Libraries are treated as Carrara assets. With beta 8.5 the newest Daz3d libraries are being added as well.

Pretty much what the average Carrara user wants! Isn’t it?

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 30 December 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  804
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 30 December 2012 12:10 PM

...  the added bonus that one could easily import Poser figures and animate those for use in one’s creations.

Bingo.  That is when I gave up on Poser for most projects.

Dartanbeck - 30 December 2012 12:10 PM

And now you don’t even need to import because Poser Libraries are treated as Carrara assets. With beta 8.5 the newest Daz3d libraries are being added as well.

Pretty much what the average Carrara user wants! Isn’t it?

I think so.  I have not used the 8.5 Beta much (at all?), waiting (and waiting, and ...) for the production release. 

But does the DS only content, e.g. Genesis, etc., work the same in Carrara as the Poser content?  I.e. links to external runtimes (or whatever DS calls them), direct load from the Carrara browser, etc.? 

And is there any talk of a release date for the final Carrara 8.5?

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5919
Joined  2006-08-27
Rashad Carter - 30 December 2012 01:28 AM
evilproducer - 30 December 2012 12:35 AM

I may indeed stand corrected. I am not certain that the hair is dynamic, but it is hair at least:
http://www.daz3d.com/shop/look-at-my-hair

Word on the street is that the 3D Light engine is capable of magnificent things, so long as the features are enabled in some way. So I’m confident that the hair will only improve over time as users gain more sophistication with the tools. I’m also betting that making this hair dynamic is an ability already embedded in the current 3D Light toolset likely waiting only to be unlocked by someone’s clever plug-in released in six months from now. DS has a bright future ahead of it. Obviously.

I don’t mean to quibble, and I agree up to a point with your opinion on DAZ and it’s secondary software, but honestly, Carrara is still being developed, however slowly and D/S has a long way to go before it reaches feature parity, if ever. Not to say D/S doesn’t have some nice features, but you either have to pay for the pro version or spend bucks on plugins. I don’t mind paying for software that has the features I want, and there are D/S users that feel the same way, but D/S was originally designed as a give away, so people would by their figures and content. It still works much the same way. The plugins and the pro version are mainly for people hitting the limits of the free version.

Regarding the hair, it looks like it could be dynamic, but from reading the manual it also sounds as if once it’s set up, you have to do some conversion just to use it in the D/S scene. Plus I didn’t see any mention of it being able to be draped, or otherwise having physical forces effect it. It sounds as if it’s kind of a quasi-dynamic hair. There are other severe limitations, for instance you can only use it on one figure in your scene at a time.

I’m not sure where you’re coming from with the render engine. The renderer renders the hair in Carrara, but it doesn’t create it. The same with D/S. Making the hair dynamic and responsive to movements in an animation, or physical forces like gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with the render engine. Calculating how light reacts and behaves with the hair, that’s the render engines job. Carrara calculates the hairs movement and interactions for every frame based on the hair guides, and sends that position to the renderer where it calculates the light information and draws a picture based on that.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  804
Joined  2003-10-09
holly wetcircuit - 29 December 2012 10:43 PM

It’s actually really easy to merge ALL these amazing programs…. It’s called Photoshop.

I agree.

The analogy for animations is the video editor, in my case Magix’ “Movie Edit Pro MX”, but virtually any Windows video editor will handle the normal animation sequences (*.avi, *.mov, etc.) 

I use Carrara for ~90% of my animations, but I also use Vue Complete when the content requires it, and sometimes Poser if, e.g., a purchased scene has some nice Poser only lights or similar.

But Photoshop is essential, even for animations (which can make great use of still renders).  On a new machine, I install PS first (after some system apps - virus, backup, etc.)  Then the video editor, then Carrara, then Vue Complete, then Poser (typically V.7 to get the runtime available to Carrara, but also a later version, maybe).  Later I get to Particle Illusion, After Effects, music, sound effects, etc.

But Photoshop first.

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  537
Joined  2003-10-09
Rashad Carter - 30 December 2012 11:48 AM

As someone once said in a Renderosity forum; “With Vue, anyone can be Howie Farkes.”

I’ve been thinking about this statement, and I have to admit that there is some truth to it. Yet, I also must admit I think Howie’s scenes look more realistic than most of what I see from the Vue galleries. The difference with the Vue galleries is that lots of people are making Howie-esque type renders, they just dont look quite as good as Howie does it in Carrara.

You are not alone, Rashad. When I show non-CG people (yet they have artistic bents and a good eye) anything from Vue they say it looks fake or more painterly. Howie’s work always gets the “it’s a photo” response.

Vue clouds are nice but Terragen’s are better and Howie’s use of clouds in his latest has shown me at least that Carrara’s clouds aren’t that bad - once again it’s those nasty default settings. I go on about that, but I maintain that if better default setttings were in Carrara, people would sit up and take notice. There’s a product not ready for the marketplace that Magaremoto teased recently that had very good looking sunlight, even improving on what they’ve released before. Some folks just have more time to tweak and figure out the way things look good. I wish I had the time.

Posted: 30 December 2012 01:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-05-26
Kevin Sanderson - 30 December 2012 01:28 PM
Rashad Carter - 30 December 2012 11:48 AM

I’ve been thinking about this statement, and I have to admit that there is some truth to it. Yet, I also must admit I think Howie’s scenes look more realistic than most of what I see from the Vue galleries. The difference with the Vue galleries is that lots of people are making Howie-esque type renders, they just dont look quite as good as Howie does it in Carrara.

You are not alone, Rashad. When I show non-CG people (yet they have artistic bents and a good eye) anything from Vue they say it looks fake or more painterly. Howie’s work always gets the “it’s a photo” response.

Vue clouds are nice but Terragen’s are better and Howie’s use of clouds in his latest has shown me at least that Carrara’s clouds aren’t that bad - once again it’s those nasty default settings. I go on about that, but I maintain that if better default setttings were in Carrara, people would sit up and take notice. There’s a product not ready for the marketplace that Magaremoto teased recently that had very good looking sunlight, even improving on what they’ve released before. Some folks just have more time to tweak and figure out the way things look good. I wish I had the time.

Indeed. preset are like wormholes that transport new users to hard to reach destinations easily, unlocking the power quickly, encouraging futher investigation. Vue has maximized on its limited presets. The problem for Vue may be that its current presets simply aren’t on par with Howie’s custom models. Most Vue users are using premade grasses, clouds and other elements whereas Howie is building everything from within Carrara, which is incredible, and something Vue cannot do on its own. You’ve got to love Carrara for it s features, but also for its superior looking renders.

Signature 

6 of 18