OK, DAZ, seriously, what’s going on?
Posted: 28 December 2012 09:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 61 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5232
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 28 December 2012 09:12 PM
3doutlaw - 28 December 2012 09:05 PM

Yep, I got Win7 64 bit, with 8gb ram….but C7P always seems to drag. (though it uses all 8 processors to render)

That is because a 32-bit application is limited to a virtual address space of 2 GB. On a 64-bit system, a process can address up to 8 TB (8192 GB). So the more RAM you have, the more a process’ VAS can stay in memory and not get swapped to your paging file.

That was Greek right? wink

I thought a 32 bit program could address more than that. I have a PPC G5 which is 64 bit, but run C7 Pro which is 32 bit. My system has 4.5 GB RAM installed and I know I have used over 3 GB of physical RAM a couple times according to my Activity Monitor. Gets pretty sluggish admittedly.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 28 December 2012 10:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 62 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  244
Joined  2006-04-26
evilproducer - 28 December 2012 09:30 PM

I thought a 32 bit program could address more than that. I have a PPC G5 which is 64 bit, but run C7 Pro which is 32 bit. My system has 4.5 GB RAM installed and I know I have used over 3 GB of physical RAM a couple times according to my Activity Monitor. Gets pretty sluggish admittedly.

It can, but it needs to be Large Address Aware. Some 32 bit applications have the necessary code for Large Address Aware. (I believe Carrara7 has it) For those that don’t, there is a free utility LAA http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 to add this into the code of almost any application. I have come across a few applications where the application would not start after using LAA, so make a copy of the executable before you try it.

There are instructions at the LAA link above, and it requires the /3Gb switch to be activated. Using the /3Gb switch can be problematic for some software, so if you start to notice problems you never had before, it is likely the /3Gb switch.

NOTE:  LAA and the /3Gb switch are for 32 bit Windows, like XP.

Use the 4Gb Patch http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php for 64 bit Windows to allow 32 bit applications to access more than 2Gb. Again, this does not work with some applications. The 4Gb Patch utility makes a backup copy of your application.

Posted: 28 December 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 63 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5232
Joined  2006-08-27
cdordoni - 28 December 2012 10:00 PM
evilproducer - 28 December 2012 09:30 PM

It can, but it needs to be Large Address Aware. Some 32 bit applications have the necessary code for Large Address Aware. (I believe Carrara7 has it) For those that don’t, there is a free utility LAA http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 to add this into the code of almost any application. I have come across a few applications where the application would not start after using LAA, so make a copy of the executable before you try it.

There are instructions at the LAA link above, and it requires the /3Gb switch to be activated. Using the /3Gb switch can be problematic for some software, so if you start to notice problems you never had before, it is likely the /3Gb switch.

That’s what I thought. I had almost forgotten it, but now I remember there used to be a stickied thread that dealt with that script and how to use it. Despite the Mac bugs, that was one thing we didn’t need to worry about. At least with the newer hardware. and OS X.

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 28 December 2012 11:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 64 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-06-16

Mocap and game development is what rocks 3d world now. People interest shifted over the years. I don’t know any of the sale figures but imagine the carrara sales are far below being even with the cost of development.
When carrara started people were amazed by 3d rendering of shiny spheres on chessboard. Carrara interface was like out of this world.  But that was many years ago.
I certainly don’t see how daz can support two similar applications for selling daz content. The daz studio does it perfectly and with every version it comes close to what carrara was supposed to be for daz and the reason they bought it - a way to combine and sell dolls.
Don’t get me wrong, we all here in the c. forum at some point loved carrara for whatever reason (mostly the easy start in 3d and reasonable price would be my guess) but it would be good to certainly move on and not having some unrealistic expectations what carrara is or is not. It is a hobbyist tool, one of the best and easiest one for the money, but that is it. It will never became maya or c4d. It certainly wanted to be one when carrara was version 5 or earlier. but not any more. that ship sailed.

Posted: 28 December 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 65 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6115
Joined  2007-12-04
JoeMamma2000 - 28 December 2012 04:04 AM

And if it’s any consolation…which I’m sure it isn’t….  smile

This software development stuff really does take a very, very long time. Heck, if they told you a year and a half ago it was going to take a year and a half before 8.5 was out, how many of us would have thrown up our hands and walked away? In that case, being open and honest might have done more harm than good.

And look at, say, Modo. How many years ago did Peebler split from Newtek and start Modo development? Seems like decades. And where is it now? Still doesn’t have some basic stuff you’d expect in a 3d app. This stuff really does take a very long time. Even stuff you might think can be knocked out in a week or so, probably takes months.

And consider that most of the big apps have only one big app to develop. Unlike DAZ, which has a bunch of them that are, presumably, handled by mostly the same crew. At least I think that’s the case.

And look at Lightwave. For the longest time it barely had a UV mapping function. And no dynamics, when most others had all that stuff. And the whole freakin’ program seemed like nothing but plugins to do the most basic stuff.

And Messiah. Holy cow, talk about an app that dragged and dragged forever, with virtually no word whatsoever from Fori.

Doesn’t make it all right, just might help with expectations. Sometimes there’s just no good news to tell, and telling bad news is the last thing you want to do.

I consider this a HUGE consolation! The Digital Animation Bible’s author made a very cool point - “All of the 3d modeling software has to be good because it takes a team of geniuses to create it and keep it up to date” (or something incredibly similar. Even though I’ve never tried Blender, I’m sure I’d have something good to say about it - but that is a doubtful endeavor, since I have no interest in it.

For a company like Daz3d, whom I’ve really come to respect more and more over the years, if they actually do have nothing but a handful of developers shuffling from this application to that - and back and forth again, I bet that we all benefit from the fact that these developers know the inner workings of the various Daz3d software offerings.

Kevin Sanderson - 28 December 2012 08:51 AM

I would bet all the devs are working on Genesis and getting duf to work. They stand to make more money if they get all the problems with content ironed out.

But as Kodiak mentioned, they assigned adding German language to Carrara. Maybe they want to lure some of the C4D crowd in Germany.

The thing that keeps coming up is that to use DAZ content, it’s much easier and takes less time to use Studio and Carrara. To get the content into other apps, there is all the re-rigging, texture issues, etc. to deal with.

Another idea is that they have recently acquired a new developer who is either German, or is totally literate in the language, and was put to the task of adding the German language to their software - which is also very cool.
I really love the way Carrara works with the oldest forms of Poser figures as well as the new. I have also noticed, the last few times that I’ve simply opened the new DS, that I really like what they’re doing with it in terms of interface and ease-of-use… however, I’ve not actually gone productive in it, so I can’t really report on the functionality of it. But the last time I used the DS4 > Hexagon bridge, I was pleased. I also couldn’t help but notice how responsive Daz figures are in the interface while perusing aniMate aniBlocks.

I think that Daz3d is definitely on an upward climb, rather than becoming ignorant. Joe makes a great point about reporting bad news, and that also goes (in my opinion) for incomplete or (even worse) controversial news - which would just force them to leave someone on Forum Duty to help to quell the madness that ensues.

And, of course, as Holly so eloquently points out, in the mean time, we all have a great piece of software to work with!

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 12:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 66 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Oscarko - 28 December 2012 11:11 PM

Mocap and game development is what rocks 3d world now. People interest shifted over the years. I don’t know any of the sale figures but imagine the carrara sales are far below being even with the cost of development.
When carrara started people were amazed by 3d rendering of shiny spheres on chessboard. Carrara interface was like out of this world.  But that was many years ago.
I certainly don’t see how daz can support two similar applications for selling daz content. The daz studio does it perfectly and with every version it comes close to what carrara was supposed to be for daz and the reason they bought it - a way to combine and sell dolls.
Don’t get me wrong, we all here in the c. forum at some point loved carrara for whatever reason (mostly the easy start in 3d and reasonable price would be my guess) but it would be good to certainly move on and not having some unrealistic expectations what carrara is or is not. It is a hobbyist tool, one of the best and easiest one for the money, but that is it. It will never became maya or c4d. It certainly wanted to be one when carrara was version 5 or earlier. but not any more. that ship sailed.

True, to a point.
It would be great to have more access to those game hak plugin creator gurus in the Carrara market. But I think that someone more inclined to try their hand at making hak assets for games would actually be better off with Blender, of course being a guess - due to seeing that some of these plugin gurus do exist in the Blender community.

With a “Content” vision like that you describe regarding Daz, Carrara is truly a much better fit. MUCH better.
Go on ahead and buy Maya or 3DS Max, and then tell all of your new friends that you spent all of that money because you want to have all of that power for your Daz content. I’m here to tell you that people will plaster copies of your words all over the place with sarcastic intent. My Maya friends are VERY good modelers and animators. They are also very opinionated - especially when it comes to mentioning the word: “Poser” or anything that might be related. Sure, you may find that there are many people who use these big softies for making content for Daz/Poser - which is an entirely different animal than using it to load Daz/Poser content.

Carrara (and its community) truly invites its users to use Daz/Poser content - to the degree of being developed around the idea of doing so. This is a HUGE difference (and advantage) that Daz3d holds in their hands when they can claim ownership of Carrara, Bryce and Daz Studio. Each of which are quite different. There have been Carrara-like Plugins made for DS, but DS simply can never be Carrara - and it would be a crime to try to replace Carrara with a DS filled with plugins. I doubt that Daz would do that without major implementation of a lot more of Carrara’s true functionality. Being as different as they are, I bet that Daz will opt to keep them both up and selling.

Edit to add:
Mocap -
Carnegie (?) has taken the huge endeavor of converting many college-made BVH files into Carrara NLA clips and offer them up for free. They’re also working on optimizing them for V4 and M4 and (I haven’t checked for quite some time) might even have Genesis in their sites.
GoFigure aniMate products work Very Well in Carrara if you use the aniBlock importer, and unlike many other software offerings, Carrara can read your animated Poser pose files! This is something you might really miss from your selection of simple abilities right after coughing up $x,000.00 (USD) on another software choice.

I haven’t tried the exciting new GoFigure plugins for DS animation functionality, but many seem to find it to work really well. But Carrara animates really, really well in my opinion. Add to the super easy to read sequencer all of the tweener options (especially if you also collect the Carrara plugins from Fenric, DCG and others, which are really inexpensive for what you end up getting - and Sparrowhawke’s are FREE!!!) and the fact that you really hold a lot of power towards animating so many aspects from shaders to all of the different parameters of all of those built-in primitives, like fire, water, clouds, terrain, etc., and you’ll begin to realize that Carrara gives you an abundance of power and functionality exactly where a “Content” collector needs it!

Carrara truly is the Big Boy for the Daz/Poser Content Collector. That’s why so many of us came to it and will never leave wink

Dartanbeck - Carrara Fanatic

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 05:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 67 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 28 December 2012 10:05 PM
cdordoni - 28 December 2012 10:00 PM

It can, but it needs to be Large Address Aware. Some 32 bit applications have the necessary code for Large Address Aware. <<SNIP>>

That’s what I thought. I had almost forgotten it, but now I remember there used to be a stickied thread that dealt with that script and how to use it. Despite the Mac bugs, that was one thing we didn’t need to worry about. At least with the newer hardware. and OS X.

I do tend to simplify this discussion and leave 32-bitness at a VAS of 2GB only. cdordoni is correct, Large Address Aware is an option. This is actually a compiler switch that is set when the source code is transformed into the executable application. The “necessary code” for the application is really just good programming practice and it involves checking the value of your handles and pointers…since LAA can now return you a value that is above 2 GB, your code might “freak out” if it doesn’t expect it.

Enabling /3GB is also system-wide; so it has far-reaching consequences beyond just Carrara (or whatever app is using it). In 32-bits, you app gets 2 GB of VAS normally…but so does Windows itself. The /3GB switch “steals” 1 GB of VAS away from Windows. So there is increased internal resource pressures.

Honestly, it is getting harder and harder to find 32-bit architecture these days. Your computer would have to be quite old indeed. 32-bit apps running on 64-bit hardware have a few more VAS wrinkles just to keep things confusing. wink

In short…if your app wants to be a whale swimming in your backyard pool with memory…make sure that both the app and computer is 64-bit and then feed both as much RAM as you can possibly afford. I used to weep quietly at my desk at Microsoft when I found customers running 64-bit SQL Servers on a machine with just 4-8 GB of RAM (rare but not entirely unheard of).

“But 64-bit means it is twice as fast as 32-bit! The guy at Best Buy told me so!”  ::weapons-grade facepalm::

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 68 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 29 December 2012 12:02 AM

Mocap - Carnegie (?) has taken the huge endeavor of converting many college-made BVH files into Carrara NLA clips and offer them up for free. They’re also working on optimizing them for V4 and M4 and (I haven’t checked for quite some time) might even have Genesis in their sites.

I don’t have the coding chops for this…but my first thought on reading this was, “Why not use XBox Kinect? Somebody must have thought of that already…there’s a snowball’s chance in Hades that I’d be the first…

This is a HUGE difference (and advantage) that Daz3d holds in their hands when they can claim ownership of Carrara, Bryce and Daz Studio.

I think it was RichardChaos who suggested merging the disparate programs into one solid package. I support the idea completely; but I’m fully aware of the potential hiccups that could make this tough or even impossible. First and foremost; you’d need a solid dev team and that seems to be where DAZ has really skimped (bald-faced assumption on my part).

Dartanbeck - Carrara Fanatic

I think you’ve gone far beyond fanaticism buddy! LOL  Right now, I’m expecting you to sport the Carrara logo as a tattoo. smile

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 69 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1828
Joined  2004-08-24

I think it was RichardChaos who suggested merging the disparate programs into one solid package. I support the idea completely;

This shows a complete lack of understanding of how commercial retail and manufacturing works.

Imaging a world where there was only one candy bar,. or any other product.
Not very exiting,...huh.

Retailers, and Manufacturers of any product, want to have as many customers as possible, and in order to do so, they create a “range” of products.,. so that different customers with different needs or likes can CHOOSE which product suit’s their purpose.

That’s why a store will have a choice of candy bar’s, with different flavours or fillings,. more CHOICE, means that more customers are likely to find something which appeals to them. ....and make a purchase.

Some people only want a Modeller,... that’s Hexagon.

some people don’t want to model, ..but want to make landscapes,. That’s Bryce.

Some people want to be able to use premade models and clothing to create images,.. that’s Daz Studio

Some people want to model their own creations and also make landscapes and environments and be able to animate the whole thing and export the results as a film,. ..that’s Carrara

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 70 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
3DAGE - 29 December 2012 07:16 AM

This shows a complete lack of understanding of how commercial retail and manufacturing works.

Not very exiting,...huh.

On second thoughts; I think we’re both painting with far too broad a brush here. The middle-ground between the two extremes of our points is actually an area that Proctor & Gamble practically invented—make many similar products…now it doesn’t matter what “choice” the customer makes, they are still buying P&G stuff (i.e. bar soap: Ivory, Irish Spring, Camay are all P&G products).

Truly, both our statements don’t apply to all areas of retail and manufacturing. You raise an excellent point that I overlooked:

Some people only want a Modeller,... that’s Hexagon.

some people don’t want to model, ..but want to make landscapes,. That’s Bryce.

Some people want to be able to use premade models and clothing to create images,.. that’s Daz Studio

Some people want to model their own creations and also make landscapes and environments and be able to animate the whole thing and export the results as a film,. ..that’s Carrara

Further wrinkles are that some of those products are free and some (one!) costs money. Still; I pigeon-holed the 3D market far too quickly.

My focus and personal opinion was what would be best for DAZ. Since they seem to have a very tiny dev team, they cannot do justice to supporting 4+ disparate applications. So, combining everything into a single app could give some coherence to their coding efforts. Alternate answer, triple the number of code jockies working for them.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 29 December 2012 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 71 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  491
Joined  2003-10-09
Dartanbeck - 28 December 2012 11:36 PM

But the last time I used the DS4 > Hexagon bridge, I was pleased. I also couldn’t help but notice how responsive Daz figures are in the interface while perusing aniMate aniBlocks.

If I recall correctly, aniMate uses the LOD versions of V4 and M4 to animate. That’s why it seems faster on sluggo systems. I used to see a little slower response of Carrara trying to move thousands of polygons on my older computer with a much older ATI card. The system I’m using now for Carrara has a little faster processor but a Nvidia GTX 470 video card instead and the Open GL works like a dream on it. V4 moves very well and responds very well in Carrara with that card now installed. Like I said in another thread, I wish I would’ve waited to buy that card just to save money—they are now going for around $150. But it sure was worth the purchase to see the speed and performance gains.

Carrara still has a few more easy to understand animation features, even if you pay for the plugins from GoFigure to use in DAZ Studio and learn how to animate the GoFigure way, and Carrara already comes with what you need.

I keep on picking up little tid bits here and there about how to do certain things in Carrara and often it proves the folks who say a particular thing can’t be done in Carrara are wrong or sometimes half-wrong. So keep digging and learning!

Posted: 29 December 2012 06:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 72 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15

Not very exiting,...huh.

Retailers, and Manufacturers of any product, want to have as many customers as possible, and in order to do so, they create a “range” of products.,. so that different customers with different needs or likes can CHOOSE which product suit’s their purpose.

That’s why a store will have a choice of candy bar’s, with different flavours or fillings,. more CHOICE, means that more customers are likely to find something which appeals to them. ....and make a purchase.

That’s what I love about you Andy. You’ll boldly and arrogantly state things that are, at best, totally irrelevant, and often totally incorrect.

What you are missing is what’s called “Target Markets”. And we’ve had many previous discussions about similar subjects, and for some reason you can’t seem to comprehend the concept.

Companies selling products don’t automatically provide a range of products. They don’t. That would be dumb. Why? Because companies selling products provide what they think their customers want. And IF that’s a wide range of products, then they try to provide that, IF they can make money, if they have the resources, and a whole bunch of other considerations.

HOWEVER, if their customers, (ie, their “TARGET MARKET”), only wants one type of product, then that’s what they sell.

So if DAZ’s target market, which is mainly hobbyists, generally tends to prefer a one-stop solution, like Carrara, then that’s what DAZ provides. If they can, and if it will make them a profit.

Now unless you know some market research about hobbyists that I don’t, I think it’s pretty clear that many or most hobbyists like having everything in one app. And as others have said, that’s good for DAZ, because it means they don’t need to have a huge staff of developers who are versed in multiple apps. And it means lower marketing costs. And lower overheads. And on and on. Which means more profit.

I think there is a very good case to be made to combine some features from all the apps together into one app and jettison the rest. It makes a lot of sense, for many reasons. Especially if DAZ is changing direction, and going full steam ahead as a content-only company. Of course there are the logistical issues of doing that from a development standpoint, but aside from that it makes a lot more sense to combine them together.

Although if your market research shows that most hobbyists who buy DAZ content would rather have separate applications, then I’m all ears…....  smile

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 73 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04
Kevin Sanderson - 29 December 2012 09:17 AM
Dartanbeck - 28 December 2012 11:36 PM

But the last time I used the DS4 > Hexagon bridge, I was pleased. I also couldn’t help but notice how responsive Daz figures are in the interface while perusing aniMate aniBlocks.

If I recall correctly, aniMate uses the LOD versions of V4 and M4 to animate. That’s why it seems faster on sluggo systems. I used to see a little slower response of Carrara trying to move thousands of polygons on my older computer with a much older ATI card. The system I’m using now for Carrara has a little faster processor but a Nvidia GTX 470 video card instead and the Open GL works like a dream on it. V4 moves very well and responds very well in Carrara with that card now installed. Like I said in another thread, I wish I would’ve waited to buy that card just to save money—they are now going for around $150. But it sure was worth the purchase to see the speed and performance gains.

Carrara still has a few more easy to understand animation features, even if you pay for the plugins from GoFigure to use in DAZ Studio and learn how to animate the GoFigure way, and Carrara already comes with what you need.

I keep on picking up little tid bits here and there about how to do certain things in Carrara and often it proves the folks who say a particular thing can’t be done in Carrara are wrong or sometimes half-wrong. So keep digging and learning!

Absolutely.
That’s my big love for Carrara that some find odd. I really enjoy animating in Carrara - best experience ever in that field!
That was just a statement towards something that I found interesting during one of my incredibly brief visits within DS.
However, to save time, I also like to import aniBlocks and, instead of converting it to NLA right away, I’ll tear it apart and re-animate parts of it - often large parts - but I’ll save gobs of time by not having to focus on the hip, legs and feet - because I’ve matched my idea with the selected aniBlock. Works well, saves time, and can be most entertaining to boot. But nowhere near as satisfying as those I’ve keyframed myself!

Garstor - 29 December 2012 06:10 AM

I think you’ve gone far beyond fanaticism buddy! LOL Right now, I’m expecting you to sport the Carrara logo as a tattoo. smile

Carrara tattoo? Hmmmm… how come I’ve not thought of that?
Good Call, Brah!

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 74 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0

It’s actually really easy to merge ALL these amazing programs…. It’s called Photoshop.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 29 December 2012 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 75 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  715
Joined  2006-05-26

Merging is a bad idea.

There are always two considerations, features/tools and interface. Once you get a group of applications which all share the similar tools, then the interface really is what makes all the difference. What makes Bryce stand out is the interface. If you merge DS to Bryce but do so with a DS interface then you will lose every single member of the Bryce community which ranges into the millions. And to merge them into a Bryce interface will lose all the DS base, again, ranging in the millions. Not an option.

Bryce, if it were fully developed, would look exactly like Carrara. Therefore it is obvious to Bryce users that Bryce will never reach its full potential for as long as Daz3d owns both softwares. If Bryce is developed too much it will cut into Carrara sales and revenue. Cant allow that! Not to say the Carrara users are whiners but to be honest we havent had ANY movement with Bryce in over 2 years. We are the only full application offered at Daz that’s still 32 bit. Come on. WE matter too.

Now I know that Carrara users dont give a rats ass about Bryce development, because many might feel that Bryce is an inferior product to begin with and that any time spent developing it is time and money wasted. But to someone who knows the application well, all we see is lost potential on the part of Daz3d in their decision to do nothing. I read the same thoughts in the Carrara forum. Indeed, we are all in similar boats!!

I said all this to point out that to the average DS user, Carrara is another example of an unnecessary piece of bloat in the Daz arsenal, as useless as Bryce but many times the cost. I mean, now that DS has dynamic hair that looks as good or better than that of Carrara, the relevance of Carrara has fallen even more. Howie Farkes does more to sell copies of Carrara than Daz does, and this is because he knows the application better than Daz does. I dont see anyone else able to produce the type of stuff Howie produces, meaning that much of the power of this application goes without being displayed. That is a shame!!!!!! Carrara rocks, Howie should not be the only one who showcases that.

What we need to do as a community is to somehow send a message to Daz. The message is….dont sell software that you have no plans on developing. If you’re done with Bryce, then sell it to someone who wants it. Same with Carrara. Use it, or lose it. Carrara deserves its own dedicated programming team full time as does Bryce if either of these applications have any chance for survival. Daz wants to be a content company. We should tell them that what we need is a software developer as well. It cant all be about content, they at least have to “pretend” that they care about the applications themselves.

Look around you, its clear what’s happening to the other applications at Daz3d, why does it surprise people when Carrara is placed on the back seat? Apparently, we are all in the back seat when compared to DS development. Go figure!

I dont mean to imply that DS is the enemy, it isnt. I LOVE DS personally, I just hate the way Daz ignores everyone else for years at a time. That’s just not fair. But a business cant be concerned with fairness, only with profits. So no matter how feature rich Carrara may be, it is still a step child so dont be shocked the next time it is placed on the back burner for a while.

Signature 

Please view my Daz3d User Gallery
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#users/465/

5 of 18