Digital Art Zone

2 of 18
OK, DAZ, seriously, what’s going on?
Posted: 27 December 2012 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2006-05-09
ManStan - 27 December 2012 08:57 AM

I’ve given up, Once I have the $ I’m getting C4D. Now I regret not getting it in the first place, and having spent the money on carrara that I have. I have given up on DAZ doing anything more with carrara then putting it in it’s grave.

Been there done that.
Althought C4d has awesome technology, they are not customer friendly.
I jumped in at version 9.5 an jumped off at version 11. During this time I had bought several plugins (modules). Only to find out that they took the company in a different direction in midstream. I was reduced to the base package and told that if I wanted the plugins to work I’d have to cough up an extra $1500 (just to get the features that I had already paid for). sweet!
They lost me at, “stick up your hands, and give me your wallet”.

about Carrara…
I have had this gut feeling for quite awhile - the Carrara community is being told one thing to keep the $$$ flowing while the writing on the wall says something else.

Let’s stage a protest. Carrara community does not spend another $$$ until there is transparency. I have several things that I am wanting to buy for Carrara - but I am unwilling to to spend more $$$ until it clear whether this is an investment or an empty promise.

Daz, you got plans for Carrara ? Let’s see them.
Seriously, how long do you expect people to be OK with this?

BTW - who runs Daz3d? Does any one know? It’s pretty easy to see who heads up Luxology. Take a few notes from Brad Peebler of Luxology - embrace the Carrara community.

Posted: 27 December 2012 09:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0
Garstor - 27 December 2012 09:01 AM
ManStan - 27 December 2012 08:57 AM

I’ve given up, Once I have the $ I’m getting C4D. Now I regret not getting it in the first place, and having spent the money on carrara that I have. I have given up on DAZ doing anything more with carrara then putting it in it’s grave.

Any reason for C4D over any other (non-Daz) software? Modo? Blender? LightWave?

C4D was probably the most similar to Carrara… You could say Carrara is a poorman’s C4D. Or it WAS until C4D took the modules route and now it just seems ridiculously overpriced in my opinion.

Lightwave made some radical mistakes attempting to abandon all their old code and move to a whole new program… but things didn’t work out so neatly, as I recall and the company floundered for a couple years.

Modo is nice, but like Carrara there is not a large user-base…. It is still catching up in features, but what it has is remarkable. Call it a poorman’s Maya (eventually).

Blender is amazing, but it’s not exactly as “open source” as they’d have you believe. It has been funded by various venture capital firms.

This conversation is a bit bizarre. Carrara doesn’t STOP working just because DAZ focuses on their other programs. I see no way that Hex and Bryce are “above” Carrara, seems extremely unlikely that Bryce will gain Genesis support anytime soon if ever… I don’t understand how “free” means “more important”, I would consider the opposite to be true…. This is about whining and foot stamping and being dramatic. D|S is and always will be about presets. All these “wonderful” plugins only begin to move D|S to Carrara’s capabilities, but seeing as how the “dollhouse” people bitch about learning features in Carrara, do you really think they will rush to embrace a complicated new set of plugins for D|S??? More likely they will compulsively spend money and ignore the features they can’t figure out. There will always be a new trampy outfit to dress up dolly with… Genesis has more “remake” clothes from the V3 era than it has new original products…. If you want to punish DAZ for ignoring Carrara the obvious thing to do is to NOT buy anything Genesis related. That’s what I’m doing, and I am very indifferent to Genesis’s progress.

Our situation is not mysterious (neither are “who” is in charge at DAZ - his name is Dan Farr and he looks exactly like the old Michael2). We are waiting on Genesis, and we will continue to wait for Genesis until it’s working properly. My Carrara works fine without Genesis, I just need a permanent serial number for 8.5.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  546
Joined  2003-10-09

I thought Dan Farr stepped aside and went into an advisory role, and then departed the company (according to some post early this year). I haven’t seen him post since last year. There was a thread in the old forum about the new management team that lists who’s who, etc. Perhaps more changes have taken place. I haven’t seen many of the same old DAZ folks post in quite a long time.

EDIT: Maybe he’s still there—there’s an article from February where he’s talking about the software giveaway.
http://www.cgchannel.com/2012/02/daz-3d-why-we-gave-our-software-away-for-free/

Calls him Chief Strategy Officer. Jim Thornton was mentioned as the new CEO, replacing Dan in that role.

Posted: 27 December 2012 10:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1639
Joined  0

Hmmm. I would blame the “strategy”, so I would still point the finger at Farr. LOL.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 27 December 2012 11:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2006-06-16

My vote for Modo. Modo seems to have amazing development, every new version seems to bring more wow. And it is the most carrara-like software in my opinion. Even daz used Modo for making vicky and michael as i recall.

On the other hand, just release the 8.5 already! I am quite sure we will never get to the v.9 and it is fine so just wrap all the loose ends and give us permanent version 8.5. Announce the end of development and we can be done with it and focus on what it is there not all the weird wishes for next version that will never materialize. This endless beta testing with no milestones is useless in my opinion.
Selling content is fine, just wrap the software loose ends.

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  839
Joined  2003-10-09
holly wetcircuit - 26 December 2012 11:31 PM

Carrara’s still my day-to-day. I don’t see any advantage in going to D|S….

Couldn’t care less about Genesis… Just stop holding me hostage to it.

My feelings exactly.  It may be hard to justify renewing my Platinum Club next time ...

Also, the “We are a content provider” argument seems a little strange.  I thought DAZ was doing well with Poser content for years, all of which worked in Carrara.  So why develop DS in the first place? 

Signature 

http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators#!home/mainPage

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17125
Joined  2003-10-09

That is a very simple question to answer. Were you around at the time of the Poser 5 Fiasco ?

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1418
Joined  2011-01-03
Steve K - 27 December 2012 12:10 PM

So why develop DS in the first place?

It almost sounds conspiratorial…but how about: “Let Carrara die slowly and we have a replacement product ready and waiting with our name in its title.”

My understanding is that Bryce and Hexagon are not being developed any further either. They are 32-bit apps stuck in a world where most of us have at least 8 GB of RAM. That’s like towing a freight train with a Prius…

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

Steve K, DS was developed when it looked like Poser was going to go away as Chohole said around the time of Poser 5. The company that owned them at the time had problems. This was years before DAZ saved Carrara and Hexagon when eovia closed its US operations.

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
Kevin Sanderson - 27 December 2012 12:26 PM

Steve K, DS was developed when it looked like Poser was going to go away as Chohole said around the time of Poser 5. The company that owned them at the time had problems. This was years before DAZ saved Carrara and Hexagon when eovia closed its US operations.

Not so conspiratorial then. wink

In that case, I must return to the oft repeated request…Daz, please tell us your intentions.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Chazdogg89 - 26 December 2012 04:46 PM

Horrendously slow development, constant bugs, the lack of serious and stable professional features, incredibly sluggish OpenGL playback, etc. is very harmful to my productivity.

My OpenGL seems fine and V4 moves well in it since I moved Carrara to my box with a GTX 470. Very smooth posing and playback. Wish I would’ve waited for the price to drop on that card, they are now down around $150.

EDITED to fix card number

Posted: 27 December 2012 12:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03

From the above cgchannel URL: “Farr commented that Carrara 9 was expected to ship within the next month or two, and would be the first version of the software to support the company’s new Genesis line of 3D figures, introduced with DAZ Studio 4.”

It is a good thing I wasn’t drinking anything when I read that.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 27 December 2012 01:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
chohole - 27 December 2012 12:17 PM

That is a very simple question to answer. Were you around at the time of the Poser 5 Fiasco ?

Then I wish you would have answered it.

But OK, I’ll bite.  Lessee, Wikipedia says that was around 2003 ... so, yeah, I was around, but I’m a little hazy on the details.  I’m guessing Curious Labs was in trouble so DAZ went with DS, since they did not have Carrara for several more years.  Something like that?

Still, the continued emphasis on DS/Genesis, with Carrara in the stable for years now, (and Poser doing OK?) seems to somewhat contradict the “content provider” emphasis for DAZ.  And is certainly disheartening to me as a satisfied Carrara user.

And I also would like to hear from DAZ about Carrara’s future.

Signature 

Posted: 27 December 2012 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
Kevin Sanderson - 27 December 2012 12:30 PM
Chazdogg89 - 26 December 2012 04:46 PM

Horrendously slow development, constant bugs, the lack of serious and stable professional features, incredibly sluggish OpenGL playback, etc. is very harmful to my productivity.

My OpenGL seems fine and V4 moves well in it ... Very smooth posing and playback.

EDITED to fix card number

Same here, its never “sluggish” in Carrara, at least on my fairly high end machine.

Signature 

Posted: 27 December 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  17125
Joined  2003-10-09
Steve K - 27 December 2012 01:22 PM
chohole - 27 December 2012 12:17 PM

Then I wish you would have answered it.

But OK, I’ll bite.  Lessee, Wikipedia says that was around 2003 ... so, yeah, I was around, but I’m a little hazy on the details.  I’m guessing Curious Labs was in trouble so DAZ went with DS, since they did not have Carrara for several more years.  Something like that?

Still, the continued emphasis on DS/Genesis, with Carrara in the stable for years now, (and Poser doing OK?) seems to somewhat contradict the “content provider” emphasis for DAZ.  And is certainly disheartening to me as a satisfied Carrara user.

And I also would like to hear from DAZ about Carrara’s future.

Well, it is a long and sorry story, if you really want to read about it, this is a good description.  http://www.cocs.com/poser/poser5mess.htm

And I do have sympathy for you Carrara people. My son uses Carrara sometimes, is up to C 8 Pro now I believe. As for me, well I make no secret of which program holds my loyalty, and I use poser as an add-on to it,. an older version, as I don’t need all the modern bells and whistles to prep stuff for transfer as obj. I feel your frustration of seemingly no communication of current status.  Posted BTW as myslef, not in my official status as a mod.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        NeilV’s Freebies and stuff        Winter Bryce Rendering Challenge        December Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

2 of 18