Digital Art Zone

1 of 18
OK, DAZ, seriously, what’s going on?
Posted: 26 December 2012 12:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

Build .172 has been out now since July (I believe) with no update since.  What’s the plan here?  I’d like to know, if for any reason so I can make decisions on what to purchase.  Is 8.5 going to see the light of day?  Are you skipping 8.5 and going straight to 9?  Is Carrara dead?

DAZ Studio has now become capable of serious animation with the addition of keyMate and graphMate. Lookatmyhair has added dynamic hair and Infinito added landscapes.  Once it gets a particle system (I think ParticleFX is in late beta, correct?), there’ not going to be a lot of advantages left that Carrara has over Studio (as far as animation goes).  If Carrara is just going to fade away into nothing, then I may need to start buying some of these things, and I’d prefer to do so while they’re on sale.

PLEASE, tell us where things are with Carrara.  Forgive me for saying so, but having just gone silent on the matter seems mighty shady.  We’re a pretty dedicated community of users here, and I feel like we deserve at least enough respect to keep us in the loop of what’s going on.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 December 2012 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1694
Joined  0
Kodiak3D - 26 December 2012 12:09 PM

DAZ Studio has now become capable of serious animation with the addition of keyMate and graphMate. Lookatmyhair has added dynamic hair and Infinito added landscapes.  Once it gets a particle system (I think ParticleFX is in late beta, correct?), there’ not going to be a lot of advantages left that Carrara has over Studio (as far as animation goes).  If Carrara is just going to fade away into nothing, then I may need to start buying some of these things, and I’d prefer to do so while they’re on sale.

I’m sure they will jump right on this “threat” to stop you spending your money needlessly….

If D|S is the better solution then you should invest in it. But if you are just attempting to duplicate with D|S what you already have with Carrara, I don’t really see the advantage (assuming DAZ releases SOME final version of Carrara with the C8.1 bug fixes)

But this is DAZ. How long before those plugins are abandoned due to D|S updates…? And will D|S be rendering any FASTER because that seems to be the big block to animation, imo…

On the bad news you can see how long the Carrara bug tracker has been idle. Whatever the issues, Carrara development is at a stand still, since at least October, afaict.

But seriously, if Carrara “goes away” I would not be investing in D|S…. Things that are on sale today will be onsale again several times this year. Never buy anything at DAZ unless it’s 50% off, but it’s ok to wait. It’ll be 50% off again soon enough.

Signature 

320+ TUTORIALS for Carrara at CARRARA CAFE
C3DE - CARRARA 3D EXPO MAGAZINE - the showcase for Carrara Artists

Posted: 26 December 2012 02:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Well, my post wasn’t intended as a “threat.”  Either I buy DAZ Studio stuff or Carrara stuff.  I just think the silence from them is ridiculous.

Also, yes, I’ve checked the Bug Tracker, and that bothers me the most.  I find it difficult ot believe that DAZ would kill Carrara at this point (having 8.5 in at least a functional beta), but the inaction on the Bug Tracker is a very disturbing thing.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 December 2012 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2004-07-09

Personally I’ve been of the opinion that Carrara is basically dead for months now. Even if Daz does keep it on life support as they have been the last couple of years, it’s more painful to stick with it than to bite the bullet and learn another package. Horrendously slow development, constant bugs, the lack of serious and stable professional features, incredibly sluggish OpenGL playback, etc. is very harmful to my productivity. I’ve been using C4D for a couple years for most of my 3D work, but as far as content goes I decided to ditch Carrara and start using Daz Studio. There is just way more community support for DS, hence the number of great plugins that are being released. I’ve been learning Keymate and Graphmate the last couple of days, and I have to say that I’ve already started animating some really cool scenes that would have been very difficult to do in Carrara because of the sluggish playback. I haven’t noticed any major problems with the speed of rendering either, although maybe that’s because I’m on a 12-core Mac Pro. And I have to say I do like the quality of the 3Delight renderer. Very solid stuff as far as I’m concerned.

Signature 

www.degrootmedia.net

Posted: 26 December 2012 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03

Nothing I can really add that I haven’t already in 12 other threads…

I too lament the apparent neglect Daz has shown Carrara. If they are NOT neglecting it, then please, drop a post in the forum and update us. Not a lot to ask, I think.

I bought LightWave recently and am learning its ropes. I don’t think I’ll abandon Carrara completely for a long time—but that depends on what Daz does with it.

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 26 December 2012 08:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 26 December 2012 12:09 PM

Build .172 has been out now since July (I believe) with no update since.  What’s the plan here?  I’d like to know, if for any reason so I can make decisions on what to purchase.  Is 8.5 going to see the light of day?  Are you skipping 8.5 and going straight to 9?  Is Carrara dead?.

So, when they decided to give away almost all of their software for free, was that not a clear enough sign? Was that not like everyone in DAZ jumping up and down and waving their hands, and saying “Hey Kodiak !!! Over here !!! We’re no longer a software company !!! We just sell content !!! “

As I originally (and almost jokingly) predicted months ago, 8.5 will be out next year sometime. But after that, I’m guessing that any improvements in any of their software will be SOLELY to support new content features. Like Genesis.

It’s not about software any more, it’s about content. Software is extremely expensive to develop, takes many years, requires a big and trained staff, and with stuff like Blender out there there’s too much competition with free software that does stuff much better.

Content, on the other hand, is cheap and easy and gives a quick return on your small investment.

They no longer make money on software development. They gave it all away free. So it’s probably not dead, but becomes more of a content delivery mechanism that is developed solely to support content. When and if that’s needed.

Posted: 26 December 2012 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-03-03

Well, Joe, we can only take them at their word, and the last word we had was that Carrara 8.5 was in development and apparently going well.  Then…zilch.

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 26 December 2012 09:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
Kodiak3D - 26 December 2012 09:38 PM

Well, Joe, we can only take them at their word, and the last word we had was that Carrara 8.5 was in development and apparently going well.  Then…zilch.

Also, keep in mind that this is the end of the year. Thanksgiving, Christmas….

It’s when many companies shut down and many people go on vacation. So I wouldn’t read too much into silence during these last two months.

Personally, I’m speculating (with no proof whatsoever) that they may have cut back on development staff when they did the big giveaway, so that might explain some of the silence also.

Posted: 26 December 2012 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  0

If you go to the DAZ Studio forum you will see that they are actively working on Daz Studio updates.
Daz Studio beta 4.5.149
Daz Studio 4.5.16
All in the past couple of months…..no time to mess with Carrara….They are pushing Genisis in Studio.

It would be nice if someone at Daz would at least say “When we get Genisis the way we want in Studio, we will give you Carrara users some much needed attention”.

Holding my Breath…..............

Posted: 26 December 2012 10:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0
McGuiver - 26 December 2012 10:05 PM

It would be nice if someone at Daz would at least say “When we get Genisis the way we want in Studio, we will give you Carrara users some much needed attention”.

Holding my Breath…..............

They did say that.

Unfortunately they said DAZ Studio…, then POSER…, then Carrara last… rolleyes

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
McGuiver - 26 December 2012 10:05 PM

All in the past couple of months…..no time to mess with Carrara….They are pushing Genisis in Studio..

Of course. Because DAZ Studio is the prime “content delivery system” in the arsenal. It has to work great with all the new content concepts they develop. If they develop a cool new Genesis, they need a free software to go with it so that everyone can use Genesis.

And where does Carrara fit in there?

Umm…...

1. Expensive (which nobody likes),
2. None of the cool features that are all over the industry now (which everyone wants),
3. Requires a big development staff that knows not only DAZ Studio code but also Carrara code,
4. After 5 years of development work will still be 5 years behind,
5. Needs a complete rewrite of its manual
6. And on and on….

Please. Don’t hold your breath. It could be very painful.  smile

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  116
Joined  0

Holly,
Seems Carrara is near the bottom…only Bryce and Hexagon below it in the scheme. big surprise

Joe,
I can hold my breath for a couple more years….building a hotrod pretty much keeps me away from Carrara.cool grin

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  0

I just want a permanent serial number for 8.5. I am still happy with Carrara, my needs have not radically changed, nor has Carrara DEvolved or stop working just because Poser get’s more love….

I’m trying to branch out into more realtime game engines. Carrara is working for me because I still have to build and convert models, bake textures, etc… Carrara’s still my day-to-day. I don’t see any advantage in going to D|S….

Couldn’t care less about Genesis… Just stop holding me hostage to it.

Signature 

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15
McGuiver - 26 December 2012 11:15 PM

Holly,
Seems Carrara is near the bottom…only Bryce and Hexagon below it in the scheme. big surprise

Actually, I think you could make a strong argument that Bryce and Hex are higher than Carrara right now in the scheme of things.

They’re free. They draw customers to DAZ. Customers who (hopefully) buy lots of content.

Carrara, OTOH, draws only a select few who want to pay big bucks for software, and don’t mind that it’s so far behind the times feature-wise. Based on that, Carrara might be perceived as less of an asset. Free stuff draws more people than expensive stuff.

Or at least it would seem.

For that reason, it might be more of a priority to add Genesis capability to Bryce than to improve Carrara. I have no clue what I’m talking about there, because I don’t follow Bryce at all, but I think you get the point.

Posted: 27 December 2012 08:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1231
Joined  2004-11-07

I’ve given up, Once I have the $ I’m getting C4D. Now I regret not getting it in the first place, and having spent the money on carrara that I have. I have given up on DAZ doing anything more with carrara then putting it in it’s grave.

Posted: 27 December 2012 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1413
Joined  2011-01-03
ManStan - 27 December 2012 08:57 AM

I’ve given up, Once I have the $ I’m getting C4D. Now I regret not getting it in the first place, and having spent the money on carrara that I have. I have given up on DAZ doing anything more with carrara then putting it in it’s grave.

Any reason for C4D over any other (non-Daz) software? Modo? Blender? LightWave?

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

1 of 18