Posted: 23 December 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 31 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2875
Joined  2004-04-14
SickleYield - 23 December 2012 09:25 PM
Pendraia - 23 December 2012 06:59 PM
Mattymanx - 23 December 2012 05:50 PM

Back when Morrowind was newer, someone on the official MW forums requested a mod of a dress here in the store.  I looked through the store a bit and realized this had to do with Poser, which I had seen before but saw no purpose for.  To help make a long story short, I came across Puntomaus’ own 3D gallery and I knew I had to try it out.

Matty started a thread over at an elder scrolls forum and the rest is history…there was a group of us who all started playing with DS at the same time. Matty posted lots of links to tutorials and we all learnt together.

Great days. grin

Yeah, those were fun day when we were all just starting out.  There have been a lot of changes since then but the fun has not stopped.

My addiction is all Matty and Neil’s fault…they introduced me to it! At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it…lol

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law! raspberry

...ah, who am I kidding?  GUILTY!!! LOL LOL LOL

Signature 

My DAZ3D Store
My Free Stuff
My Art @ DeviantART
Ships of the Line - MEGA THREAD
How to use the Poser Format Exporter - **Updated 2013-02-09**

Posted: 23 December 2012 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 32 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4972
Joined  2008-03-06
Mattymanx - 23 December 2012 10:41 PM

Back when Morrowind was newer, someone on the official MW forums requested a mod of a dress here in the store.  I looked through the store a bit and realized this had to do with Poser, which I had seen before but saw no purpose for.  To help make a long story short, I came across Puntomaus’ own 3D gallery and I knew I had to try it out.

Matty started a thread over at an elder scrolls forum and the rest is history…there was a group of us who all started playing with DS at the same time. Matty posted lots of links to tutorials and we all learnt together.

Great days. grin

Yeah, those were fun day when we were all just starting out.  There have been a lot of changes since then but the fun has not stopped.

It sure hasn’t!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.

My Deviantart gallery.

Posted: 23 December 2012 11:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 33 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  217
Joined  2007-03-03

Oddly enough, I got started into 3D when some friends and I were thinking about making a video game.  I was looking around online for information about game models, and I stumbled across DAZ Studio waaaaay back in version 2.  We never made the game, but I found a new hobby grin

Signature 

-Kodiak3d

“I wonder what tomorrow has in mind for me, or am I even in its mind at all?”
- “Crystal Ball” by Styx

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 34 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  10990
Joined  2005-10-07

found the FFVIII cut scene that had me so inspired back then.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY1bTE75aXw
it’s still exciting.

ooo here’s all the cut scenes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zuc62lLk6kQ  smile

Signature 

°  °   °   °   °   ° Ye Olde RealmsGalaxies

Posted: 24 December 2012 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 35 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  16477
Joined  2009-01-22

My first venture into 3-D was way back on the Amiga with Imagine. If you think render times are long now you should have been around back then.

Signature 

Exile, Drows Walk: A Tale of Jaderail starts here. Free pulp fiction at its Fantasy best, Updated 2/3/14.
Proud Member of the Bald Wizards Club My stuff at DeviantArt

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 36 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2245
Joined  2005-09-05

My addiction is all Matty and Neil’s fault…they introduced me to it! At least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it…lol

Great days. grin

Yeah! They were… : )

Signature 

Shadermixer tutorials and recipes
My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 37 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05

Great days. grin

Innocent until proven guilty in a court of law! raspberry

...ah, who am I kidding?  GUILTY!!! LOL LOL LOL

LOL LOL LOL

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 38 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2005-09-05
SickleYield - 23 December 2012 10:43 PM

Great days. grin

It sure hasn’t!

Too true : )

Merry Christmas everyone….

Sorry about not doing this in one post but I’m posting from an iPad and I find cutting and pasting on it very difficult.

Signature 

My ShareCG Gallery
Shadermixer Documents

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 39 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2089
Joined  2003-10-09

I was doing photo-manips years ago, I wanted a way to add 3D text to images I was doing, So I got into Bryce, got playing around doing stuff in Bryce, then got Terragen, then on to Poser ( version 3)

Posted: 24 December 2012 02:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 40 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  379
Joined  2012-09-27

I also came to 3D via the photomanip route - I was playing around with Paint Shop Pro many years ago, went on to teach myself Photoshop, then realized that I just didn’t have the control I wanted in a 2D medium.  Unfortunately, it took several more years to move on to 3D, thanks to my bargain-basement computer.  But now I’m moving fast, making up for lost time and having a blast.

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 41 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  66
Joined  2010-11-24
Jaderail - 24 December 2012 11:46 AM

My first venture into 3-D was way back on the Amiga with Imagine. If you think render times are long now you should have been around back then.

I tried to make a Chrismas tree on the Amiga A500, with a half meg video chip and 3 megs of ram. Took days. The tree wasn’t too bad, but the glass and shiny ornaments drastically legthened the render time. I used DKBTrace 2.x a pre-cursor to Pov-Ray.

Signature 

Jim
‘Through the thorns to the stars.’ from Ghost in the Shell.

Posted: 24 December 2012 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 42 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6259
Joined  2003-10-09
Jaderail - 24 December 2012 11:46 AM

Jade we must be twins sons of different mothers. LOL I started earlier with Silver which begat Turbo Silver which begat Imagine. I then moved from the Amiga to Imagine for the IBM PC, then Bryce, added Poser to the mix (Bryce and Poser were both creations of MetaCreations back then).
Still searching for the elusive “Make Art” button.

Signature 

My Renderosity Gallery - My DAZ Gallery - My ShareCG Freebies
“I hope that after I die, people will say of me: ‘That guy sure owed me a lot of money.’” - Jack Handey

Posted: 24 December 2012 07:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 43 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  703
Joined  2003-10-09

This thread comes up once in a while.  I’ve answered it previously with vast volumes of fascinating tales of my youth.  But alas, that’s all in the old forum archives (if they still exist anywhere).  I’m getting old so I’ll try to get this out before my mind wanders to some never-never-land again.

At age 26 I started working at the Kennedy Space Center from 1974 to 1979 and had complete (and I do mean “complete”) operational control of the computers for the “Special Measurements Division” on the 2nd floor of the “Launch Control Center”*.  I had two computers (Raytheon 706 and Raytheon RDS-500) used primarily for research data collection and display for the KSC weather bureau, Lighting research, and Shuttle ground support experiments, and other non-launch related special activities.  (i.e. the really cool stuff).  I was computer administrator, technician and the only programmer so I was pretty busy. 

However, in my spare time… I used the electrostatic dot-matrix printers, manual hand-cranked, frame-at-a-time video disk recorders, and Tektronics storage-tube graphic displays to draw 3D objects and perform primitive animation of simple geometric object behavior.  (rotate, orbit, bounce, etc)  I had no commercial 3D or even 2D graphic subroutine packages to help me.  I didn’t even have floating point arithmetic support in one of the computers.  I had to build my own floating point arithmetic library, 2D graphic routines, and 3D graphic routines from basic principles.  Hell, I even had to write my own hard drive driver for one of the computers.  So getting a wireframe duodecahedron to bounce or orbit a cube was a big deal.

Fast forward from 1979 to 1999 and I found a $100 copy of RayDream Studio (ancestor of Carrara) and I could finally do graphics at home instead of on half-million dollar machines at work.

* PS: I loved my office:  I had my office at one end of a leg of the “L” shaped laboratory about 30 feet wide and 60 feet long on each leg of the “L”.  The floor was a raised “false-floor” typical of computer rooms of the time and my chair had smooth silent castors.  I got pretty good at shoving myself (*wheee*) down the length of the room between, rows of analog data recorders and tape storage cabinets, from my desk to the computer consoles in the corner of the “L”. (*grin*)

Signature 

I’m sooo confused…  I’ve come to grasp a little of the nature of reality and the answer to life, the universe, and everything.  I even have an inkling as to who and what I am. Auuummmmm…
But please, please, who the hell are you?  And why are you trampling my roses?

Posted: 25 December 2012 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 44 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  150
Joined  2011-09-24

I met Kerry Mafeo (http://www.fantasticvisions.blogspot.com/) at a Stargate Convention in Atlanta 2011> I love her work> she told me about DAZ and in a few months my inspiration resulted in the image below

Image Attachments
305968_10151168741602266_1327680200_n.jpg
 Signature 

My Store
My Gallery
A captain’s goal was simple: find a crew, find a job… keep flying.
-Firefly

Posted: 26 December 2012 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 45 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2012-02-07

In a lot of ways it’s an extension of interests and skills I already have.  For the longest I’ve always wanted to draw but wasn’t good at it and attempting was actually stressful.  On a parallel, I’ve had creative interests both in writing and videogames.  A lot seemed out of reach due to things like income but I finally found a local community college with some specialized courses in game design.  Was a bit inspiring though there were some growing pains in the program since it was new.  The current state of it is pretty good but that’s of limited use to those who’ve already graduated.  I mean, most of the instructors were cool but some of the tech hurdles reared their head despite the course itself being affordable.

So, after being aimless for a while I hooked up with a few people and released a game based on their comics.  Though it progressed slower than I’d like and sales are low since no one knows about it, it technically wound up being a completed commercial work.  Finally landing a new part time job this year, I heard about Daz’s free software through some lingering contacts with the school.  Combined with getting a laptop from a long time friend, seemed like things were lining up and this was the way to overcome my artistic inabilities.  Was good at first and I sorta splurged a bit in the beginning but I’m seeing I’m badly in need of a new computer.  That also revealed the catch-22 that I needed a better computer for what I wanted to render but at the same time, if I had never started with Daz Studio I probably would have had enough saved up for a new computer which would have been good for some of my programming goals anyways.  Gonna attempt a bit of a purchasing freeze and similarly might even due a public render freeze while I save up and practice some things.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

3 of 4