2 of 2
Folklore of the old world   [commercial] 
Posted: 21 December 2012 03:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  11246
Joined  2007-11-06

...this is really nice.  On my list.

I know it would be a bit more ambitious a project, but would love to see the Cathedral of Ys.(an old Breton legend)

La cathédrale engloutie” (as it is referred to musically by Achille-Claude Debussy) along with the city of Y’s was sunken beneath the sea because of the city’s impiety. It is said to rise from the depths on a clear morning when the water is transparent it’s bells tolling monks chanting and organ playing only to once again slip beneath the waves.

(while researching this I noticed the humble pic I did a while back which I based on the Debussy composition is among the first several illustrations in Google Images relating to the theme…didn’t expect that.)

..link below to one of the best performances I have heard of the Debussy work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5hvGS7X7w

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 21 December 2012 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  280
Joined  2009-08-18

Very nice work! I like the steep roof and decoration and the chicken feet look great!  In the old story, the path to Baba Yaga’s house was lined with posts that had skulls with glowing eyes. Baba Yaga flew around in an iron mortar and pestle. 

What about Beauty and the Beast (from the old French black and white movie)the long hallway with the wall sconces that were moving arms that held lit torches?

Signature 

See my gallery http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/?q=IceScribe&x=14&y=10

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4545
Joined  2007-09-13
SickleYield - 21 December 2012 02:22 PM

Other ideas, just spitballing:

The dead man’s hand: A corpse hand with candles melted onto the stiffened fingertips.  Supposed to open any door.  Morbid and creepy and very distinctive.

Also known as the “Hand of Glory”.  Lots of details about those candles that can best be left out (they are made from tallow…enough said).  A couple of other interesting properties of the ‘Hand’...it only gave light to the owner.  It could also render others immobile.

SickleYield - 21 December 2012 02:22 PM

The basilisk:  The legendary beast which either kills or turns to stone those at whom it looks (depending on specific legend).  I’ve known others who wanted one but no one has made one.  So far we’ve had to cobble them together from chicken and snake bits.  Weasels are supposed to be immune to the basilisk stare (a funny bit of trivia).  Ideally I’d like to see the rooster/snake version, NOT the Harry Potter snake with a punk hairdo.

So, what you really want is a cockatrice…sort of a ‘cousin’ to the basilisk.  The basilisk is more ‘snake-like’ while the cockatrice is more ‘chicken-like’...again, depending on legend.  And in some cases the words are almost interchangeable. What’s really interesting is that a basilisk and cockatrice are ‘created’ by similar methods, just which egg is being hatched by which critter being different…but toads, snakes and roosters are involved in creation of both.

Signature 

1432 old posts

My ShareCG gallery.

Just because something costs a lot, doesn’t mean it’s the best…

It just means it’s expensive.

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  627
Joined  2007-12-04

Brilliant babe yaga’s hut… looking forward to seeing what you come up with next grin

Signature 

Follow me on facebook, check out my website or find my freebies here.
Don’t forget to have a look at The Wizard’s Library, my multi-figure Daz scene.

Posted: 22 December 2012 11:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  855
Joined  2004-09-04

Good Input I like the idea of the hand, like the monkey’s paw but with providence. Here are some shots where the house is grounded and the door opens with a basic interior, good for looking in but not so much for living in. I’m working on action poses now which will be fun, jumping running and stuff.

Image Attachments
2POP.jpg3pop.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/the-antfarm

Posted: 22 December 2012 11:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4999
Joined  2008-03-06

Hee!  Stealth mode!

Signature 

My store at DAZ.