Digital Art Zone

2 of 7
Pimp My Prop Now in Store [Commercial}
Posted: 20 December 2012 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  2007-12-25

Oh, and are you doing roof materials? I’d like to put in a request for terra cotta tiles. smile

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 20 December 2012 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  784
Joined  2006-06-12
zigraphix - 20 December 2012 01:59 PM

Looks great!

My only concern is that the damaged concrete shows a perceptible pattern. But other than having really huge tiles, the only way I can think of to get around this involves layers or procedural shaders, which would interfere with the preview.

(Oh, and the moss looks a little bright, but that may just be the lighting in the scene.)

Let me know if you need any extra help with displacement. smile

It looks like she’s using variation 7 of Carl’s concrete, if she upped the overall size of the tile that filter forge kicks out to 2000px or 3000px (up from the 600px preview tile from the filterforge website that it looks like she’s using now)  she’d lose a lot of the repetition.  And I wouldn’t think of that as being “really huge”, most Vicky maps are 4000px.

Image Attachments
2000250.jpg
 Signature 

My Daz Store
ShareCG Freebies

Posted: 20 December 2012 07:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-09-16

Yes, Ziggy, the terracotta roof tiles are already done, along with thatching, corrugated iron, wooden shingles and a few others. I’ll post more previews later today. The ivy may be a little bright. I was concerned about the darkening effect of heavy displacement and may have over-compensated. But then again, it may be the lighting.

Yes, Joe, I’m using Filter Forge to generate the color maps for the first batch of these so that is indeed the concrete. I’m then making my own displacement/bump/normal, spec and reflection maps to make them really pop in 3d. The second batch will come from texture resources I own and can make my own tiles from, and the third batch will be from photos I take of building materials.

I’m doing a first draft of all the textures first, all at 600 by 600. When I’m done, I’ll go back to the ones that are not quite working and generate bigger tiles and use smaller tiling rates.

My plan is to allow this set to be used as a merchant resource, provided the textures are baked onto a map or a model and not redistributed as tiles. This could be a great boon for modellers, who could apply the texture in DS, then use Shader Baker to generate a mapped version of it.

Posted: 20 December 2012 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16

Joe, I go for small size, hi-res as much as possible and use bigger tiles only when absolutely necessary. It’s the notion of producing the equivalent of 10,000 by 10,000 with a single 600 by 600 tile that makes shaders exciting to me. If I had to go up to 4000 to make it work, I’d delete the texture as unsuitable for tiling.

Here are a couple more examples. The first is Storm Castle with its original (very nice) textures.

The third uses a seamless stone and terracotta roof tiles. The second uses wattle and daub with a wooden shingle roof. There some other textures changed as well on some of the smaller surfaces.

Image Attachments
stormorig.jpgstorm2.jpgstorm1.jpg

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12133
Joined  2007-11-06

...wow, a fabricator for buildings.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 20 December 2012 11:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12
Marieah - 20 December 2012 09:38 PM

Joe, I go for small size, hi-res as much as possible and use bigger tiles only when absolutely necessary. It’s the notion of producing the equivalent of 10,000 by 10,000 with a single 600 by 600 tile that makes shaders exciting to me. If I had to go up to 4000 to make it work, I’d delete the texture as unsuitable for tiling.

Here are a couple more examples. The first is Storm Castle with its original (very nice) textures.

The third uses a seamless stone and terracotta roof tiles. The second uses wattle and daub with a wooden shingle roof. There some other textures changed as well on some of the smaller surfaces.

Beautiful pictures! Those kinds of textures were just what I was hoping for. smile

Posted: 21 December 2012 12:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16

Thanks Sikeus. I knew we were on the same page, but had to show you.

Here’s another example:

Image Attachments
storm3.jpg

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2827
Joined  2007-12-25

Yay!

(Pity about the UV mapping of the roof, but it still looks pretty darn good!)

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12
Marieah - 21 December 2012 12:15 AM

Thanks Sikeus. I knew we were on the same page, but had to show you.

Here’s another example:

Ohhh, that stone looks great! I’m loving the texture/displacement. That will be great for closeups! I have so many buildings that look a bit less than stellar when doing a high resolution closeup. smile

Posted: 21 December 2012 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16

Yes, it is a pity about the mapping.but there always seems to be a trade off somewhere, Props often have fairly low res textures, so this will be a boon for close ups. Here’s a bit more before I find another model to play with….

One uses a nice bit of stonework and a rolled roof texture. The other is an amusing half-timbered Tudoresque look with mossy thatch for the roof. I’ve done a couple of kinds of lattice as well, with transparency, and you can see one of them on the upper shutters.

Image Attachments
storm5.jpgstorm4.jpg

Posted: 21 December 2012 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  8826
Joined  2004-07-21

Wow these are needed.  I need to make buildings look similar to make towns even though the buildings are made by different people.  Thank you!

Signature 

Hello, Sweetie!
click me to save my dragon eggs

Who is cuter Loki or Thor?

Play Runescape

Posted: 21 December 2012 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3039
Joined  2004-10-25

Wow, this is looking better and better.  grin

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 21 December 2012 12:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  12133
Joined  2007-11-06

...oh my, what I could do to Stonemason’s “Big City” with this.

Signature 

...it’s five minutes to midnight…

I’d rather have a blue sky above me than a blue screen in front of me.

Posted: 21 December 2012 03:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
Kulay Wolf - 21 December 2012 10:40 AM

Wow these are needed.  I need to make buildings look similar to make towns even though the buildings are made by different people.  Thank you!

Yes, that was one of the situations I had in mind,

Posted: 21 December 2012 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2012-02-04

I’ve always wanted to use the top of the tower from Dragon Island for some ideas with figures coming out of the door onto the battlements, but every time I’ve tried, the low-rez stone texture is just soooo aweful when viewed up close, I give up.  Hopefully with this, that tower will become usable for closeups.

Signature 

My deviantART Homepage
Set Focal Distance script for DAZ Studio

2 of 7