Digital Art Zone

1 of 7
Pimp My Prop Now in Store [Commercial}
Posted: 19 December 2012 06:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  531
Joined  2006-09-16

http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/pimp-my-prop

I thought it was about time I had another WIP thread so I’ve started on a new extensive shader product called Let’s Renovate! Basically, it will be a big collection of quality external prop textures - building and ground materials - that will allow you so breathe new life into your old prop sets, and even put disparate pieces together to create your own sets to fit your needs. It’s a kind of Fabricator for buildings.

I’ve just done the first ten or so textures and tried some of them out on the first prop I found in my runtime that had both ground and walls. It’s an old set called The Courtyard. The pink texture you can see on the walls to the right of the image are the original textures. The crazy paving on the ground is from Let’s Renovate!, as is the rough brick and the medieval timbered texture in the centre.

So let me know what you think and make your building texture requests here. I plan to include roof textures such as tiles, thatching and corrugated iron and there’ll be lots of worn and grungy textures as well as some new ones. Maybe windows as well, including broken ones.

Image Attachments
courtyard1.jpg

Posted: 19 December 2012 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  2302
Joined  2010-12-18

I think that is a great idea!

Signature 

My deviantArt Pinup Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2012 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16

I’m very pleased you think so!

Here’s another example. Cobblestones, peeling weatherboards and damaged concrete.

These will be of much higher resolution than the original textures, as a rule.

Image Attachments
courtyard2.jpg

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  176
Joined  2006-04-15

Looks very much like this is going to be another “must have” Marieah texturing set!

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  107
Joined  2006-05-14

wow, fantastic idea!  funny, i was wishing for something like this just the other day…  can’t wait!

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
jade monkey - 19 December 2012 11:13 AM

wow, fantastic idea!  funny, i was wishing for something like this just the other day…  can’t wait!

Thanks. It’s actually working even better than I’d hoped, and I’m really enjoying putting it together. It’s amazing how you can totally change the vibe of a set. Of course, one does lose any extra detail that’s on the texture map, but I’m trying to compensate for this with interesting, quality textures.

Here’s a couple more examples:

Image Attachments
courtyard3.jpgcourtyard4.jpg

Posted: 19 December 2012 01:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18
Marieah - 19 December 2012 12:13 PM

Thanks. It’s actually working even better than I’d hoped, and I’m really enjoying putting it together. It’s amazing how you can totally change the vibe of a set. Of course, one does lose any extra detail that’s on the texture map, but I’m trying to compensate for this with interesting, quality textures.

I’ve done some of this myself in a limited way but I tend not to reuse the work, and while it does lose the texture details that were originally there usually if you are retexturing the scene it’s ok. You were retexturing it to change stuff up smile  Most of my environments are just backdrops and not the focal point of the scene so I don’t see it as an issue for me.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 01:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  284
Joined  2012-02-12

I’m very excited about this. It’s looking fantastic already.

I’d love to see some wood-grained textures, not just paneling, but also for wooden beams. And I’d absolutely love some textures that would be great to put on a castle wall. (Stones of different sizes, if that’s possible.) And just to ask for the whole world in one product…a set of textures that would go well with mideval structures/fantasy castles/churches/hovels/cottages. You mentioned roof thatching, so it sounds like that’s already an area you’re developing.

Did I mention that I’m excited about this? smile

Posted: 19 December 2012 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-12-18

Yeah I think that there could certainly be fabricator like theme packs. Like a fairly wide reaching “generic” pack, an asian themed pack, fantasy etc. Funny while I have a bunch of fabricator packs I mostly use silkessence.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 03:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
sikeus - 19 December 2012 01:51 PM

I’m very excited about this. It’s looking fantastic already.

I’d love to see some wood-grained textures, not just paneling, but also for wooden beams. And I’d absolutely love some textures that would be great to put on a castle wall. (Stones of different sizes, if that’s possible.) And just to ask for the whole world in one product…a set of textures that would go well with mideval structures/fantasy castles/churches/hovels/cottages. You mentioned roof thatching, so it sounds like that’s already an area you’re developing.

Did I mention that I’m excited about this? smile

There’ll be plenty of suitable wood, don’t worry on that score. I’m naturally attracted to the worn and the grungy, so expect these kinds of textures to dominate over the clean and sharp. If you look at the first render I published here, you’ll see that one of the basic Medieval type textures is already covered and there will be more. The textures are tiled by between 6 and 10 so that limits the variation. Some of the textures I’m using for ground paving in the images would also work for stone walls.

I think I can fit it all in one product. If it gets too big, I’ll split it in two. As for future products, I’ll see what I can fit into this one, and then see how well it sells. grin

The limitation on this one is that it is exterior textures only.

I’m so pleased the idea is going down well.

Posted: 20 December 2012 08:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17

A board & batten texture would be nice.

Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 20 December 2012 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  611
Joined  2012-02-07

Woohoo! Glad to see this project starting back up.  I’ll try to see if I can find reference pictures but insulated concrete forms would be nice.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 20 December 2012 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2006-09-16
BWSman - 20 December 2012 08:35 AM

I’m not sure what this is.  Please show me an example.

Posted: 20 December 2012 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2950
Joined  2004-10-25

Oh, what a great idea.  I wouldn’t have thought to do shader textures for exteriors, but these look really nice.  grin

Signature 

OK . . . Where’s my chocolate?     Post Count —> 3,263 and growing!     Visit my Renderosity Gallery

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts ~ John Wooden

Posted: 20 December 2012 01:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  822
Joined  2008-09-17
Marieah - 20 December 2012 10:50 AM
BWSman - 20 December 2012 08:35 AM

I’m not sure what this is.  Please show me an example.

The picture is of a fence; but the concept is the same for walls.

Image Attachments
board-and-batten.jpg
 Signature 

Resistance is futile.  You will be DAZzimilated

Old post count: 5719

Posted: 20 December 2012 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2826
Joined  2007-12-25

Looks great!

My only concern is that the damaged concrete shows a perceptible pattern. But other than having really huge tiles, the only way I can think of to get around this involves layers or procedural shaders, which would interfere with the preview.

(Oh, and the moss looks a little bright, but that may just be the lighting in the scene.)

Let me know if you need any extra help with displacement. smile

Signature 

Shop Zigraphix @ DAZ3D

1 of 7