Digital Art Zone

1 of 3
ok horo,david,rashad help
Posted: 18 December 2012 11:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2675
Joined  2007-05-05

hey guys I am getting my computer for me for xmas so from what I have read so far you are against windows 8??? What I have in mind is 64bit ,1t hd,12 gig mem, with some kind of graphics card not sure which yet (???) (ideas on that also) I dont want bryce or any other graphics program to bog me down like my last computer…..any ideas would help me before I spend the bucks…...Thank You Trish

Signature 

Please remember my comprehension level is not the same as a rocket scientist…
Bryce7Pro-Addict…............Darkside-oholic…......Carrara-wannabee
http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/users/269      http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28462/

Posted: 19 December 2012 03:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15323
Joined  2003-10-09

While you are waiting for the others to pull in you could browse through this thread,  Which did drift around other things as well but is mostly about Win 8 to start with.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/11544/

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 19 December 2012 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  506
Joined  2004-06-12

I notice you never even mentioned me in the title of this thread, but I tell you what, if you read all of the thread Pam pointed out, you will see that I am the one to take notice of (especially if you value your freedom and privacy).  In short, my own recommendation is: DO NOT BUY WINDOWS 8 or indeed anything that attempts to force you to use your desktop machine like a touchscreen device, or forces you to allow them to data-mine you in any form whatsoever.  You are supposed to be buying a licence to use a product, not buying a licence for them to use and manipulate you.

It’s way out of hand now, and Windows 8 is the greatest example yet of what little regard Microsoft have for it’s users, and what sort of bullsh*t they can get away with.  People are really starting to get savvy to it now (you can see it all over the web), so the best thing you can do is join the savvy ones while the sheep continue to the slaughter.

Oh, and Trish, don’t forget my Christmas Snog under the mistletoe while you’re here!

PS: I have Windows 7 64-Bit and it’s turned out to be a downgrade from Windows Vista 32-Bit, which performs infinitely better.  It goes without saying that Windows 8 is Windows 7 with an even worse interface.

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1308
Joined  2006-08-19
pumeco - 19 December 2012 08:53 AM

I notice you never even mentioned me in the title of this thread, but I tell you what, if you read all of the thread Pam pointed out, you will see that I am the one to take notice of (especially if you value your freedom and privacy).  In short, my own recommendation is: DO NOT BUY WINDOWS 8 or indeed anything that attempts to force you to use your desktop machine like a touchscreen device, or forces you to allow them to data-mine you in any form whatsoever.  You are supposed to be buying a licence to use a product, not buying a licence for them to use and manipulate you.

It’s way out of hand now, and Windows 8 is the greatest example yet of what little regard Microsoft have for it’s users, and what sort of bullsh*t they can get away with.  People are really starting to get savvy to it now (you can see it all over the web), so the best thing you can do is join the savvy ones while the sheep continue to the slaughter.

Oh, and Trish, don’t forget my Christmas Snog under the mistletoe while you’re here!

PS: I have Windows 7 64-Bit and it’s turned out to be a downgrade from Windows Vista 32-Bit, which performs infinitely better.  It goes without saying that Windows 8 is Windows 7 with an even worse interface.

I was not a fan of Vista-32 bit,  Vista 64 bit I liked alot.  no complaints about my windows 7 64 bit system either, of course its hardware is leaps and bounds higher than my vista 64 bit system (8 cores vs 2 cores, 12gig ram vs 4 gigs ram).

windows 8 no thanks,  a tablet based os ported to desktops/laptops thats just lazy and stupid..  plus it looks like Ubuntu,  If I wanted Ubuntu I’d get it, its free..

Signature 

http://rarethdigitalmusings.blogspot.com/

http://rareth1966.deviantart.com/gallery/

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09

I agree Rareth, no way was Vista ever going on a computer I owned, was why I went from XP to Win 7 to get 64 bit.  Of course if I could have found one of the fairly rare copies of winXP 64 bit, then I would have gone down that route.

And as for Win 8, well least said, soonest mended.

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        July Freebie Challenge

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
chohole - 19 December 2012 09:35 AM

I agree Rareth, no way was Vista ever going on a computer I owned, was why I went from XP to Win 7 to get 64 bit.  Of course if I could have found one of the fairly rare copies of winXP 64 bit, then I would have gone down that route.

xp 64 had more bugs going for it than I think you are aware of,  Vista-64 bit was much better, which was the problem with vista 32bit,, vista was designed as a 64 bit OS at first, then the 32 bit OS was made from that, and it was not a clean convert.  Microsoft development has gotten lazy with its programming, which I think is one of the reasons folks from the dev team are now job hunting after the Windows 8 debacle.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09
bullit35744 - 18 December 2012 11:36 PM

hey guys I am getting my computer for me for xmas so from what I have read so far you are against windows 8??? What I have in mind is 64bit ,1t hd,12 gig mem, with some kind of graphics card not sure which yet (???) (ideas on that also) I dont want bryce or any other graphics program to bog me down like my last computer…..any ideas would help me before I spend the bucks…...Thank You Trish

I think the problems with Windows 8 is pretty much like any other release of Windows where it’s got minor bugs at first that only affect certain people and usually get worked out via updates in the first few months. That being said I would say go with Windows 7 if you have a choice but Windows 8 isn’t so bad you need to avoid it. As for Bryce being that it’s still just a 32 bit app and will remain so for the immediate future anyway, most of what today’s computers offer won’t help much. As a 32 bit app it can only make use of 2GB’s of ram as is or roughly 3.5 GB’s if you use a utility on it called LLA or Large Address Aware. So with 12GB’s you have more then enough memory for Bryce. High end graphics cards are more for gaming or animation, for things like Bryce, Studio, Poser, etc. just a decent video card is sufficient. Mainly what you need to watch out for and only if you’re buying a pre-built machine rather then building your own is that you don’t end up with a graphics card built into the motherboard. Usually those types use some of the system memory for it’s video memory and usually that’s just not a good arrangement but it gets used alot because it’s cheaper to build a system like that. What’s really going to help you out more with Bryce and pretty much any other program is a multi core processor. If cost isn’t a big factor then Intel is currently the best way to go for maximum performance but if cost is a factor then AMD can give you big savings and still have reasonably decent performance. The hard drive isn’t going to do much for you performance wise other then 1TB gives you alot of space to work with, which is nice but if it’s the only drive in the system it’s going to get a major workout. I personally prefer to have one drive for my OS and programs like Office or other apps used routinely, a seperate drive for 3D Graphics related use and yet another drive for storage and when I did gaming alot I would sometimes have a 4th drive just for games. Having multiple drives cuts down on the amount of read/writes that occurs on any one drive and that usually extends the life of the drive and gives you slightly better performance in my opinion. The only drive that’s really going to boost performance in a big way are the solid state drives but they’re still rather pricey especially when you get up above 500 GB. I just priced a one TB solid state drive at http://www.newegg.com (usually has some of the best computer parts prices around) and they only have one option for that size. It’s made by a company called OCZ which is a respectable brand name for memory but the price of that drive by itself is $2549.99 which is an insane price for just a drive. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227797

Posted: 19 December 2012 09:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  926
Joined  2003-10-09

For what it’s worth I was running Win XP 64 and while it was nice and gave me 64 bit capability Win 7 is better so I’d say you made the better choice. Really though the biggest problem with Win XP 64 was lack of support because so few used it or even knew about it for that matter.

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12
Rareth - 19 December 2012 09:14 AM

... plus it looks like Ubuntu ...

Windows 8 looks like Ubuntu?

WTF, Windows 8 is nothing like Ubuntu, and free or not, give me Ubuntu any day as long as my programs run on it!

Windows 8 is Microsoft’s take on monopoly after seeing what Apple have gotten and continue to get away with.  Windows signature feature was the “Start” button in the bottom left of the screen, it’s the way all Windows users have become accustomed to working, and was preferred by the vast majority over the unfriendly Mac OS way of working (ultimate OS my arse).

But in typical air-brained, inconsiderate Microsoft fashion, they have removed that way of working (after all these years) without even giving us the option to work how we’ve been used to working.  No doubt an update will be forced out of their asses by pressure of public laxative, but nevertheless, Microsoft have to rank as the most inconsiderate company I’ve ever had the misfortune of knowing.

These aren’t things that effect a few people, they are things that effect the majority of computer users all over the world, and that’s a lot of people.  They shouldn’t be allowed to do the things they do, it’s disruptive and manipulative.  Like I said, the only way to deal with tossers like Microsoft is to stop using their products and services at the earliest possible convenience, because for those that don’t, this bullshit is only the tip of the iceberg of what’s to come!

Thankfully this bull does not and can not effect users of Ubuntu or any version of Linux, that’s why I’m slowly but surely moving over to a Linux based operating system.

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2003-10-09
LordHardDriven - 19 December 2012 09:48 AM

For what it’s worth I was running Win XP 64 and while it was nice and gave me 64 bit capability Win 7 is better so I’d say you made the better choice. Really though the biggest problem with Win XP 64 was lack of support because so few used it or even knew about it for that matter.

I still don’t like Win 7 though. I was so used to the way XP did things.I had no option though, by the time I got the money together to buy this new system the company I use to build all my PCs had moved away from XP..

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
pumeco - 19 December 2012 11:05 AM
Rareth - 19 December 2012 09:14 AM

... plus it looks like Ubuntu ...

Windows 8 looks like Ubuntu?

WTF, Windows 8 is nothing like Ubuntu, and free or not, give me Ubuntu any day as long as my programs run on it!

I said LOOKS LIKE, not that it WAS like, take a chill pill, I’d switch to linux in a heart beat if all my crap would run on it.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

I know what you said, but I’m buggered if I know how Windows 8 looks like Ubuntu!
Don’t need a chill pill either, I went into detail in case you’d given the impression to others that Ubuntu is like Windows 8 ;-)

Like I said, nothing like Windows 8, thankfully.

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRank
Joined  2004-06-12

Not even sure if I’ll be using Ubuntu myself, I think I’ll be settling on debian.

Posted: 19 December 2012 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3378
Joined  2004-10-01

@Trish - so nice to see you back!

64-bit is cool and runs Bryce. 1 TB HD is good, sure, 12 GB memory as well. Bryce is still a 32-bit application and can address only 2 GB but you can have several Bryces open at the same time. You can also make it large address aware with a free, easy to use tool and then Bryce can address around 3.5 GB. Graphics cars - well, I’ve always looked for NVIDEA because I know it works.

Windows 8 - I made once the mistake to run a brand new Windows version and I’m not repeating that mistake again. I’d rather wait until at least the 1st service pack (SP1) is out. I’m running 2 Win 7 Pro 64-bit, 1 XP Pro 32-bit, 1 XP Home 32-bit and one Win 2000 Pro 32-bit. Bryce runs on all.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-19
pumeco - 19 December 2012 11:21 AM

I know what you said, but I’m buggered if I know how Windows 8 looks like Ubuntu!
Don’t need a chill pill either, I went into detail in case you’d given the impression to others that Ubuntu is like Windows 8 wink

Like I said, nothing like Windows 8, thankfully.

actually the gui does look like ubuntu desktop,  the similarities are there, identical no, did MS copy the design, no doubts.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3378
Joined  2004-10-01
chohole - 19 December 2012 11:08 AM

I still don’t like Win 7 though. I was so used to the way XP did things.I had no option though, by the time I got the money together to buy this new system the company I use to build all my PCs had moved away from XP..

Well, Win 7 gives you the option to have the desktop classic. Mine looks as the one on Win 2000 and XP. A computer is a tool for me, I want to work with it and I can very well do without the fancy memory and CPU power eating ornaments.

Signature 

**  [ Stuff by David Brinnen and myself**  [ My DAZ 3D Gallery**  [ My Website**  OPC 4565 **

1 of 3