6 of 8
Does Carrara Pro do it all?
Posted: 29 December 2012 06:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 76 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1059
Joined  2007-10-15
evilproducer - 29 December 2012 06:47 PM

I don’t know, I’ve had good luck with render nodes overall. I don’t have any monster machines, but for animations, the nodes can shave off hours. I’ve been working on an animation, and even with my ancient G5 i had it down to 35 sec. a frame without any nodes. Rendering with the nodes took each frame down to 18 sec..

And that’s fine. If you get some benefit from shaving hours off rendering, other than being impressed at how much time you saved, then that’s good.

But I think that most hobbyists don’t REALLY have much need to shave time off their renders, because, let’s face it, they’re usually not under the pressure of a client’s deadline. And does it really matter if you save 3 hours when you’re rendering while you sleep anyway?

Add that to the fact that most hobbyists would get far more benefit from learning how to do high quality, 3 minute renders instead of similar quality, 6 hour renders. 

And, BTW, that doesn’t even consider things from a cost/benefit aspect. Justifying buying and running all that equipment? I think it all comes down to what you want to do, because it’s fun. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not something that’s easily justifiable from a practical perspective.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 77 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  6135
Joined  2007-12-04
JoeMamma2000 - 29 December 2012 06:56 PM

...Add that to the fact that most hobbyists would get far more benefit from learning how to do high quality, 3 minute renders instead of similar quality, 6 hour renders.

Great point!
EProducer should really write a book on that - along with all of his techniques for coming to his end result renders… they’re really good.

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 78 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  1387
Joined  2011-01-03
Dartanbeck - 29 December 2012 07:05 PM

EProducer should really write a book on that - along with all of his techniques for coming to his end result renders… they’re really good.

I’d pay him for that book!  cool smile

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

My 3D art Flickr page for final or near-final images
My 3D art Flickr page for work-in-progress or experiments

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 79 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  5293
Joined  2006-08-27
JoeMamma2000 - 29 December 2012 06:56 PM
evilproducer - 29 December 2012 06:47 PM

I don’t know, I’ve had good luck with render nodes overall. I don’t have any monster machines, but for animations, the nodes can shave off hours. I’ve been working on an animation, and even with my ancient G5 i had it down to 35 sec. a frame without any nodes. Rendering with the nodes took each frame down to 18 sec..

And that’s fine. If you get some benefit from shaving hours off rendering, other than being impressed at how much time you saved, then that’s good.

But I think that most hobbyists don’t REALLY have much need to shave time off their renders, because, let’s face it, they’re usually not under the pressure of a client’s deadline. And does it really matter if you save 3 hours when you’re rendering while you sleep anyway?

Add that to the fact that most hobbyists would get far more benefit from learning how to do high quality, 3 minute renders instead of similar quality, 6 hour renders. 

And, BTW, that doesn’t even consider things from a cost/benefit aspect. Justifying buying and running all that equipment? I think it all comes down to what you want to do, because it’s fun. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not something that’s easily justifiable from a practical perspective.

Try reading the whole post. I did say, “your mileage may vary.”

Unless all hobbyists are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, then time is a big factor. I actually work during the week. I may or may not have a lot of time and/or energy in the evening once I’m done with my other obligations. I have a bit more time on the weekends, especially in the winter months, so shaving hours off my renders is very valuable to me, and not just for the gee whiz factor. The less time my machine is tied up rendering, the more time I have to do other things with my computer.

You don’t find your statement that “hobbyists” don’t need to worry about render times because they don’t have deadlines, at best presumptuous, and at the worst arrogant and derisive?

Signature 

I find it somewhat liberating not to be encumbered by accuracy.

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 80 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 29 December 2012 07:12 PM

Thanks guys! I’ve learned a lot from these forums, and if I can give back just a 1/10 of what I’ve been given I will be happy.

Dartanbeck, we’re still waiting on that epic. I sure am glad that time isn’t a factor since you’re a hobbyist and all!  wink

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 81 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
evilproducer - 29 December 2012 07:21 PM

You don’t find your statement that “hobbyists” don’t need to worry about render times because they don’t have deadlines, at best presumptuous, and at the worst arrogant and derisive?

Thanks evilproducer! I needed that laugh!  cheese

Signature 

- Garstor
Australian-Canadian currently trapped in Texas (maintaining sanity with doses of Carrara, LightWave and PhotoShop)

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 82 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27
Garstor - 29 December 2012 07:39 PM

Thanks evilproducer! I needed that laugh!  cheese

You want a laugh? Wait for the response! I can almost quote it now! cheese

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 83 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Geez, is there anything you don’t take as arrogant and derisive? Apparently you despise when someone uses the term hobbyist. Okay, well pick another term.

And my point about worrying about render times was more factual than anything. Isn’t it? Is there something about that statement that is in error? Is there something that angers you about that? Why?

Dude, if it doesn’t apply to you, then let it go. And if it does, then fine. If I’m wrong, and most or all hobbyists are deeply concerned about shaving a few hours off their renders, and their time is precious, and it’s worth the expenditure, then fine, I’m wrong.

I presumed that most people who do this do it for fun, and do it because the like playing with software, and many like tinkering with hardware. And they also seem perfectly happy waiting for 6 hour renders. That’s what just about everything I’ve read in this forum for the last 5 years or whatever points to.

If that’s wrong, then I deeply apologize for saying the word “hobbyists” and for implying that your time isn’t precious.

Geez. Get over it.

Posted: 29 December 2012 08:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 84 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-01-03
JoeMamma2000 - 29 December 2012 07:56 PM

And my point about worrying about render times was more factual than anything.

Ah, there it is! Joe’s favourite tactic. Describing his opinion as “fact” in order to be sore-assed when someone disagrees.

Signature 

- Garstor

Posted: 29 December 2012 08:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 85 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Yep. knew that was coming. I’m the one with the problem…

What is the main purpose of tinkering with a car? I have two friends that restore cars. They love it, but if you think they don’t have deadlines, you’re nuts. Part of the appeal is showing off the car. Around here, that’s late spring, summer, and early fall, so if they want a car ready for show, then they need to bust ass all winter. I’ll bet it’s the same with people here. I enjoy creating in 3D and Carrara, that doesn’t mean I enjoy watching render buckets.

As an example, I have very little time in the summer. There are more things that need doing outside, as well as it’s the busy season where I work. The more I can do over the winter months the better. I think you’ll find that’s the case with most people here. Their busy times will be different of course, but it’s the same principal. You can enjoy something and still have to watch the clock.

To think hobbyists don’t have time constraints is not very realistic.

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 08:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 86 ]
Power Member
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-10-15

Okay, then I was wrong. And, as I said, I deeply apologize for my incorrect assumption.

I incorrectly assumed people could render as they slept, pause when they needed the computer, continue when they didn’t, and if the animation was finished on Tuesday morning or Thursday night really wasn’t that big a deal. But I was wrong.

And, again, I apologize.

But in spite of what you think, I was NOT trying to denigrate anyone. I was merely thinking in business terms, dollars and cents and cost justification.

Personally, I have a hard time cost justifying my sailboat. It’s a hobby, but there’s no way I could justify the expenditure. But I also don’t take it as an insult when someone says I don’t REALLY need it. Because I don’t. I just want it. And you’ll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Posted: 29 December 2012 09:41 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 87 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Not a problem. As I said, your mileage may vary. That goes for everything, including sailboats and farmland (my metaphorical sailboat).

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 88 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Living amidst one of the world’s largest bodies of fresh water and the whole arsenal of lakes and rivers here, in Wisconsin, I wish I had a boat. Come to realize years ago, however, that my crazy necessity for chiseling stone means I’d have to sail in the dark as I slept. One day I hope to let go of my manual labor tendencies, get a nice sailboat and spend some time with the water and my lovely wife - just the two of us. Someday.
Good for you, Joe.

evilproducer - 29 December 2012 07:25 PM
Garstor - 29 December 2012 07:12 PM

Thanks guys! I’ve learned a lot from these forums, and if I can give back just a 1/10 of what I’ve been given I will be happy.

Dartanbeck, we’re still waiting on that epic. I sure am glad that time isn’t a factor since you’re a hobbyist and all!  wink

You’re always giving back EP, and we value your excellent renders, experience-filled advice and hearty sense of humor! Thanks!

My Epic is actually moving along pretty well - for a hobbyist effort! Kidding. I have full intentions of going pro with this series - hence the gobs of time spent before rendering a single, official frame. This is why I’ve been so active against all of this anti-Carrara talk these days. What can a person NOT do in Carrara is the limited topic - not the other way around.
Granted, I’m using my piano, guitars, and drums to aid me with the score - which I hope to one day engrave using Finale music scoring software. Paper and pencil have been my scripting devices and Sony Vegas will be my editing choice. Everything else is Carrara with a little support from the DS > Hex bridge - but only for making a slight change to the figure file itself. No actual others edits are made with that - which is simply hilarious to me, but it works! Daz3d and their published artists along with everyone at these forums have been truly instrumental in the whole thing. And you, EP, have straightened me out on many things - which I truly appreciate. Thanks!

Now if I could get Garstor to finish building me that Monster Box… oh yeah…
Please!!!!
(kidding brah, of course!)

Signature 

Dartanbeck @ Daz3d          Check out the Carrara Cafe          ►►►  Carrara Information Manual   ◄◄◄

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 89 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2006-08-27

Not to far from lakes myself, and of course cold Superior and Michigan are a couple hours drive. Sailboating is fun, but getting in a canoe and seeing where the water takes me is more my speed. Bit cheaper and less skill could also be a reason I prefer it to sail boats. wink

Signature 

Posted: 29 December 2012 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 90 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-04

Many kayak builders in Wisconsin too wink
I used to snorkel the edge of Lake Michigan here, along Death’s Door, just to admire what the forces of water can do to stone over several millennia - and as an added bonus, I’d get to mix and mingle with all sorts of fish. Couldn’t believe how they’d welcome me…
I sure love living here! smile

Signature 

6 of 8