Digital Art Zone

2 of 2
OT: My YouTube Interview…
Posted: 18 December 2012 05:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  15642
Joined  2003-10-09

Please resist the temptation to turn this into a political discussion.  Thankyou

Signature 

Chohole’s Space        Neil’Vs Freebies and stuff        L Summer Bryce Rendering Challenge        August Freebie Challenge
My DAZ 3D Gallery    11915

Posted: 18 December 2012 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2945
Joined  2011-12-10

There’s this outfit called Abode which is a government funded group.  They do run the Hope van, which shows up once a week at Vineyard Christian Fellowship (so long as it’s not a holiday) and set you up with appointments to the county hospital if they think you need one.  You can tell that they’re government funded because they’re shut down on holidays.  Anyway, one of the things they do mostly is take people from the inner city, clean them up, and rent them rooms (with tax dollars) here in Livermore, where they continue to sell and or use drugs or whatever else it is they do.  Abode does talk a good game, but don’t do much for anyone out here, but they sure like to add to our population… negatively.  Last year their rep showed up at a city conference and ranted about how “Housing must be FIRST”... Same with Self Esteme… one must be housed and have great esteme in one’s own eyes…

Anyway, the outfit is mostly worthless.  The hope van is nice, but if it didn’t exist, Cornerstone, Cedar Grove or some other church would fill that void pretty quickly like they do for six days of the week when the hope van doesn’t show up…

The main participants at the homeless refuge are Bob and Donna McKenzie.  He’s a stoic Irish American and she’s this tiny woman of Italian stock with this whole Sofia Loren thing going on…. they’re 78 years old, both of them.  If the homeless refuge were a govt. operation those two would not be involved, and it would be pretty wretched for not having them.

If it’s government run or funded, it’s probably not working very well… That’s not political, that’s simple reality.

As far as Chris’ death, I didn’t know her hardly at all.  But Linda and Harry have been volunteers for years, so I know them quite well.  That they were volunteering last night was… well, that had to be pretty cruel to find out after…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery
OPENSUBDIV Testing and Discussion
3Delight Surface and Lighting Thread

Posted: 18 December 2012 08:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4960
Joined  2012-04-07
wancow - 18 December 2012 05:23 PM

... edit ...

As far as Chris’ death, I didn’t know her hardly at all.  But Linda and Harry have been volunteers for years, so I know them quite well.  That they were volunteering last night was… well, that had to be pretty cruel to find out after…

That would be devastating. Our condolences to all.

Signature 

Posted: 19 December 2012 04:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7839
Joined  2009-05-14
wancow - 18 December 2012 02:23 PM

Glad to hear your still laughing smile Sorry bout the headache… when I get those, they put me down and I’m unable to function. :(

I am stubborn. smile

Signature 

Pete

Somethings to Consider when starting to learn CG

My Gallery

My Render Thread and Tutorials

Proud member of the Bald Wizards Club and Co-operative

Posted: 19 December 2012 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

In any event, thanks to all of you who saw it and thanks to everyone who posted such kind remarks… Me, I look at it with morbid fascination at the notion that anyone can sit for 40 minutes and listen to my squeeky voice as long as Jim Schnitter did that evening… ugh!

I suppose I should try to do a Genesis self portrait and do an animation based on that video… it would be creepy weird, but creepy weird things have been done in 3D Before…

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  608
Joined  2012-02-07

Won’t get into a political rant but I will note that it’s disappointing that the government sometimes gets in its own way when it comes to helping people.  Really useful programs tend to be out there but both red tape or even simple location issues can be a problem.

As far as the main topic, misconceptions are a funny thing.  My whole life my family has been hovering between low income and lower middle income, including living in public housing/“the projects” before.  But I’ve pretty much always been nerdy, despite the stereotypes of poor black kids.  People tend to be pretty shocked when they got used to my personality then find out where I’ve lived.  Perhaps a more recent situation was relaying how on a nicer side of town I got a “grab child and quickly cross the street” which they didn’t even think was possible for someone to have that sort of reaction to me.  So while not outright homeless, I can understand some of the issues you may have had to deal with.

It’s nice to hear about a church on the news that’s positive since the media tends to only showcase either the nutcases or the hypocritical mega-conglomerates.  Also nice to hear you’ve got a nice library.  While I’m on the other side of the country, the library system in this city as a whole has always been a bit of a safe haven.  There were even a few years where we actually won awards for being up to date on computer labs.

I’ll probably start to trail off into tangent from here so I’ll just wish you luck on continuing to survive out there.

Signature 

Black is Beautiful II - a repository of links and rendering tips for darker skinned characters

Posted: 19 December 2012 12:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

I hear you, Zamuel.  Before I get into this, I have to say that Livermore cops by and large are a decent bunch of guys.  They’ve always treated me very well.  One day, however, there was a situation at Vineyard Christian Fellowship (same place that was in the news) where the cops had to be called on a couple of meth addled ruffians (meth does something to people’s brains… part of me thinks they aught to just be put down en-masse)... anyway, somehow, my friend Gary, who I’ve already mentioned, got caught up in this, and was handcuffed, on the ground face down.  He did nothing at all, he was just there.  Yes, he’s black.  He does not do the Fulsom Prison Shuffle with his pants on the ground, and, frankly, I’ve never thought of him as black simply because he’s just one of those guys who seems, for lack of a better term: raceless.  I only thought of him as a great orator with an unhealthy obsession with the Dallas Cowboys.  His nickname is Cowboy Gary.  I’m pretty sure that how I think of him is common amoung those who know him.  Yet he gets cuffed and frisked and caught up in the mix, frankly, because he’s black.  I wouldn’t be making excuses for him at all if he dressed like a gangster.  Those guys buy whatever’s coming to them, IMHO.  Not Gary… a bunch of us have spoken with Steve Sweeney about it, asking for a formal apology to Gary, and that’s the only black mark on the Chief’s record so far as I know, because nothing ever came of that.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 19 December 2012 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  7622
Joined  2006-03-19

We have already asked that the conversation stray from religion and/or politics. If the topic continues we will have no other option but to lock the thread.

Signature 

ARTCollaborations Store on DAZ3D    ARTCollaborations on Facebook

*****Mad Chemistry Lab*****  

Posted: 19 December 2012 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10
Frank0314 - 19 December 2012 02:06 PM

We have already asked that the conversation stray from religion and/or politics. If the topic continues we will have no other option but to lock the thread.

What are you talking about?  Who’s going into religion and politics?  Would you mind being a little more specific?  I don’t see one political or religious thought in this entire conversation.

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery

Posted: 15 January 2013 01:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Addict
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-12-10

Jim Schnitter finally posted the whole thing… I forgot what I said at the end, was just cringing at the last thing I quipped there… :(

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF3hEOxWrWE
Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIARc1BU344
Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8cnPovY3cQ
Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI1GtLMLpWg

Signature 

My DeviantArt Galleries
My ShareCG Gallery